Lake Chelan advice

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
NWrookie
Petty Officer

Lake Chelan advice

Post by NWrookie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 pm

I am heading to Chelan this weekend and am going to try my luck at lakers or Kokanee. Not sure if it is too late for the koks, but I do have a question about the lakers. I will probably be by myself, I might be able to get my wife to help but not early in the AM. Can you jig or only troll with downriggers? I have a hand crank rigger, I know you want to keep it down within a couple feet of the bottom, not sure how hard that will be manually. :dunno:
I have a 16' pontoon so I will not be flying up the lake, is there a place close to Chelan (we are staying at the campground in Chelan) that I should hit? Any help will be appreciated.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Lake Chelan advice

Post by JoshH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:45 pm

If you are going to troll, be aware that you will be constantly adjusting the downrigger. Hand cranking will be a lot of work, doable, but you will definitely know you worked. I've seen people jig successfully for Mack's there. Pretty much find a mark, drop your line to the bottom, and start jigging. I am not much help on area, all of the Mack fishing I have done/seen on Chelan have been out of Manson, or slightly up lake towards the yacht club. Near and in Chelan itself.... good luck the mess of pleasure craft. I'd get up lake from there as far as you can and start peeking at the sonar.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Get your fish finder dialed in and look for the fish. Find the structure where they're sitting and drop your stuff down fast. They're very easy to catch jigging. Spoons, Curly tails or marabou. Use enough weight to get down fast. They eat anything that will fit in their mouths.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:45 am

Check out the hot spots above and look over prior reports there are some areas close to the lower end of the lake. The wind can kick up in a hurry so keep that in mind. Good luck.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

NWrookie
Petty Officer

Post by NWrookie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will give it a try. I have heard about the wind, I will keep an eye out.
Pictures to follow [-o<

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:32 am

NWrookie wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice, I will give it a try. I have heard about the wind, I will keep an eye out.
Pictures to follow [-o<
The wind blows everyday. It starts around 11:00am and picks up till you will want to be off the water. It will calm down again in the evening, after 6:00pm ish. Plan your day accordingly.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!