That's gonna leave a mark!.... WDFW announces Lake closures

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
db340
Petty Officer

That's gonna leave a mark!.... WDFW announces Lake closures

Post by db340 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:56 pm

As an added bonus to no puget sound salmon fishery this year the WDFW announces Lake Washington, Lake Sammamish as well as others to close to ALL fishing as of May 1st due to possible ESA encounters after failure to reach agreement with tribes.

WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE Print Version
NEWS RELEASE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

Tweet This! Digg it! StumbleUpon Reddit

April 29, 2016
Ron Warren, (360) 902-2799

Several Puget Sound-area marine,
freshwater fisheries to close May 1

OLYMPIA – Five lakes and the lower sections of most rivers that flow into Puget Sound will close to all fishing beginning Sunday, May 1, when salmon and steelhead fishing also closes in the Sound.

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) officials said today they are closing state fisheries in waters where salmon migrate while they work to secure the federal permit required to hold salmon fisheries in Puget Sound. Typically, the state and tribes jointly obtain the federal permit for the Sound, where some fish stocks are protected under the federal Endangered Species Act. The current permit expires April 30.

However, many fishing opportunities remain available in and around Puget Sound. WDFW has posted a list of rivers and sections of rivers that are open to fishing on its webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/pugetsound_salmon_update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. That page also has a list of Puget Sound area lakes that are closed to all fishing.

“Since we didn’t reach an agreement with treaty tribal co-managers on this year’s Puget Sound salmon fisheries, we have to close fishing in areas where we know salmon will be,” said Ron Warren, head of WDFW’s Fish Program.

For the next few months, those areas include several Puget Sound-region lakes and the lower reaches of streams where salmon smolts will travel on their way to the Sound.

Lakes that will close May 1 to all fishing include Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish (King County), Monte Cristo Lake (Snohomish County), Lake Cushman (Mason County), and Barney Lake (Skagit County).

Examples of rivers where at least sections, if not all, are closed to fishing include the Skagit, Stillaguamish and Snohomish rivers, north of Seattle. Today’s action also applies to Puget Sound-area rivers that typically open to fishing in early June, though fishery managers will be evaluating those rivers to determine whether any can open on schedule.

All non-tribal commercial and recreational Puget Sound salmon and steelhead fisheries, including those in Marine Area 13 and year-round fishing piers around Puget Sound, will close May 1 to salmon and steelhead fishing until further notice. More detailed information about marine area closures can be found online at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The department is working with federal authorities and doing everything possible to re-open Puget Sound marine and freshwater fisheries, Warren said.

“We regret having to close these fisheries,” Warren said. “We know this is a hardship on many communities around Puget Sound and disappoints many anglers.”

In the meantime, Warren urged anglers to consider trying new fishing waters, emphasizing that most Puget Sound area lowland lakes remain open to fishing.

Also, he said recreational fisheries in Puget Sound marine areas that are not affected by the closures include bottomfish, such as lingcod, Pacific cod and cabezon, as well as sea-run cutthroat trout and halibut. These fisheries are covered under a separate permit and are open as scheduled. Anglers should check the 2015-16 Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet, available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for details.

Salmon fishing will continue as scheduled in the Columbia River and Washington’s ocean waters and north coastal rivers. Information on those fisheries can be found on WDFW’s webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

jonb
Commander

Re: That's gonna leave a mark!.... WDFW announces Lake clos

Post by jonb » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Im so glad i moved to canada lol
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Ok so i know there is at least 750,000 Saltwater anglers in Washington. if those people do not buy licences thats 21,000,000 in license fees alone our state loses.. then plus launch fees boat tabs fuel food ice equipment.. I see our economy in the shitter VERY QUICK.. This is a disaster

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:16 pm

I support WDFW, but I can't help smelling a rat in closing the two biggest warm water fisheries! When was the last time a bass angles accidentally hooked a salmon in the east channel of lake Washington? I'll do my research-- perhaps this is required by the ESA but it's suspicious.

db340
Petty Officer

Post by db340 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:00 am

Please take a minute and let the powers that be know your feelings ,believe it or not these campaigns really do make a difference.

https://www.votervoice.net/PSA/campaigns/46262/respond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chrome127
Petty Officer

Post by chrome127 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:58 am

Call or your email Congressman. This mostly has to do with the Tribes involved.
I know it is not much, I will boycott anything that the Tribes are involved in. (Sorry Cabelas)
Who now gets the Hatchery Steelhead headed for the Skykomish?

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:12 am

Does anyone know how/why the tribal impass on salmon affects areas never open to salmon fishing? I just don't get it. I've contacted my federal reps on the issue but this seems to be a state decision.

db340
Petty Officer

Post by db340 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:51 am

Koda, I assume because in those waters salmon migrate through and without the ESA permits in place fishers are allowed zero impacts on salmon. A single fish hooked even by accident is a violation of ESA and therefore they must close the waters to mitigate that possibility. The state closes those Waters because they no choice because of federal laws.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:22 pm

I will never go near an Indian Reservation, period. I cant even take my grandson to fish Perch in Lake Wa? I only live two miles from the ramp! That's insane! It may be federal law, but those laws are against the average person. The laws just protect the special interests.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:45 pm

I always hurt my brain when I try and apply logic to a State/Federal issue. So the Sound remains open for bottom fish, lingcod, searun cutts and the like but the freshwater areas are closed to all fishing? I can't remember the last time I hooked an unclipped king while fishing for trout, perch or bass in Lake Washington. Because it has never happened! However, it isn't uncommon to pick up the occasional king or silver when targeting cutts and bottomfish in the Sound.

Since this is a closure on all fishing in these waters, it implies that recreational and commercial harvest of crayfish would be a non-no as well, which is just silly. I can see it now, being cited for dropping and hauling crayfish traps in waters closed to protect ESA listed salmon, that might make for an entertaining court session.

I wonder who we should call when we see tribal netters hauling in salmon out in front of the locks this season? I'd love to get a few good images or videos and forward them to the entire NOF council.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:26 pm

G-Man wrote:I always hurt my brain when I try and apply logic to a State/Federal issue. So the Sound remains open for bottom fish, lingcod, searun cutts and the like but the freshwater areas are closed to all fishing? I can't remember the last time I hooked an unclipped king while fishing for trout, perch or bass in Lake Washington. Because it has never happened! However, it isn't uncommon to pick up the occasional king or silver when targeting cutts and bottomfish in the Sound.

Since this is a closure on all fishing in these waters, it implies that recreational and commercial harvest of crayfish would be a non-no as well, which is just silly. I can see it now, being cited for dropping and hauling crayfish traps in waters closed to protect ESA listed salmon, that might make for an entertaining court session.

I wonder who we should call when we see tribal netters hauling in salmon out in front of the locks this season? I'd love to get a few good images or videos and forward them to the entire NOF council.
or the nets draped across every rivwer

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:36 am

You can help by sending an email to every one involved in this from the Governor to NOAA and all your senators and representatives. Please go to the Puget Sound Anglers site at the link below and follow the simple instructions. They will automatically generate and send an email to all these people for you.
Thank you for supporting our effort. We appreciate your interest and hope that you will consider helping us again in the future.
You have communicated with the following people:

Senator Patty Murray (email)
Senator Maria Cantwell (email)
Representative Derek Kilmer (email)
Governor Jay Inslee (email)
Regional Administrator Will Stelle (email)
Assistant Regional Admini Bob Turner (email)
It just takes a couple of minutes and will help notify all the political idiots involved and let them know that we are concerned and want action taken.

https://www.votervoice.net/PSA/campaigns/46262/respond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cjrodarme
Petty Officer

Post by cjrodarme » Sun May 01, 2016 2:11 pm

And you wonder why no one likes the WDFW. At this point I think they just flip a coin to figure out what to do about a problem. Its stupid stuff like this that I don't understand. Stuff like closing lakes for no reason or killing off entire, sustainable fisheries to put in trout that die off within the end of the season. Don't even get me started on the WDFW regarding hunting. Sorry for the rant, but I personally know more than a few people that have had enough. In my opinion, we need actual hunters and fishermen running the WDFW, not greedy politicians. Am I way off on this?

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Sun May 01, 2016 3:00 pm

This wasnt due to WDFW. Its because we now have no federal permit, and due to specific salmon and steelhead esa listing. WDFW didnt have an option in this case.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 01, 2016 3:35 pm

JoshH wrote:This wasnt due to WDFW. Its because we now have no federal permit, and due to specific salmon and steelhead esa listing. WDFW didnt have an option in this case.
Specifically due to the WFC Suing the State over the hatchery program. NOAH was happy with the status quo until they were forced by the courts. Due to the law suit they were forced to actually work. I'd be mad too. So if we are going to assign blame, I'm going to have to go with the WFC.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun May 01, 2016 3:37 pm

And who are all these letter people?
Tom.

Interests: living

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Yeah I swear if I see any nets in our "closed" rivers this year I'm gonna flip a table.

I'm also very happy to see that my home system (Skykomish) has been shut down for the opener on June 1st. Unless I am reading this wrong.

Oh, and don't tell the WDFW, but last year while chasing SRC's in the salt I saw a couple of Steelhead from shore. Like 20 feet from shore.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Amx wrote:And who are all these letter people?

They would be the Wild Fish Conservancy.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Amx wrote:And who are all these letter people?
Not sure what you mean, but PSA is Puget Sound Anglers.

The other group is the Washington branch of CCA - Coastal Conservation Association.

Both are dedicated to protecting our fisheries and seem to be good guys.

The WFC = Wild Fish Conservancy are the devils spawn and want to shut down all hatcheries :)

If you mean who is getting the emails -

The Governor
Our state reps and senators
The head guys at NOAA.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun May 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks for the letter people definitions/meanings/what they mean/stand for.
Tom.

Interests: living