Lake Washington Cutthroat

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
riverhunter
Commander

Re: Lake Washington Cutthroat

Post by riverhunter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:40 am

:pr:
Bodofish wrote:It isn't the average joe putting the hurt on the run by taking 5 fish per day but the guides working it with 6 clients, twice a day. When they put 6, plug cut herring in the water, they create an artificial school of crippled bait fish that no predator can refuse. Even if they only catch 2 fish per, that's still 24 fish per day when on the water.
I would whole heartedly support a one or two fish per day limit on any water that isn't stocked and no guides.
The whole notion of protecting one species by going open season on another is just about the most ignorant approach I can think of.
The King hatchery on the cedar is just one more embarrassment for the WDFW and the Tribes combined. When it's operating, lots of Kings, when they don't nothing. It kind of points a big fat finger at no spawning habitat. Want more kings put more in.
I'm a little confused with the math. 6 clients per day and if they catch 2 per is 24? Anyways I agree on not destroying or at least decreasing one species just to save another especially if the species that isn't doing that well naturally is the one we are trying to save like the sockeye. Sockey are not native to lake washington but the trout are

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:47 am

riverhunter wrote::pr:
Bodofish wrote:It isn't the average joe putting the hurt on the run by taking 5 fish per day but the guides working it with 6 clients, twice a day. When they put 6, plug cut herring in the water, they create an artificial school of crippled bait fish that no predator can refuse. Even if they only catch 2 fish per, that's still 24 fish per day when on the water.
I would whole heartedly support a one or two fish per day limit on any water that isn't stocked and no guides.
The whole notion of protecting one species by going open season on another is just about the most ignorant approach I can think of.
The King hatchery on the cedar is just one more embarrassment for the WDFW and the Tribes combined. When it's operating, lots of Kings, when they don't nothing. It kind of points a big fat finger at no spawning habitat. Want more kings put more in.
I'm a little confused with the math. 6 clients per day and if they catch 2 per is 24? Anyways I agree on not destroying or at least decreasing one species just to save another especially if the species that isn't doing that well naturally is the one we are trying to save like the sockeye. Sockey are not native to lake washington but the trout are
Yes, 6X2=12 and if they go out with 2 sets of clients per day or "twice a day.", which is normal, that doubles the number to 24 or 6X4=24 or 12X2=24
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Oh! Got it. That does make 24

pnutbutterpirate
Angler

Post by pnutbutterpirate » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Chiming in in favor of a two fish limit in this amazing urban fishery. Better to be safe than sorry, no?

WDFW is accepting comments on rules (including limits) until November 30 here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/

Click on "Comment on rules proposals" and share your desire to keep this fishery around by adjusting limits to a more sustainable trout per day.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 pm

several years ago when we lived in Kirkland and wanted fish for dinner, I would drop in at the Kirkland Marina go out about 200 yards, long line about 200 ft behind the boat with a silver mirror flash ford fender, with 14 in leader and worm, make 2 passes about the size of a football field and come home with 2 fish, never skunked .....the old for fender works just as good today as it did back than ...... [thumbup]