Going Fishing Tomorrow, but What Lake?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tylermaster195
Petty Officer

Going Fishing Tomorrow, but What Lake?

Post by tylermaster195 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:03 am

Hey NWFR,

Going fishing tomorrow but just can't decide on what lake. It is going to be me and the wife and I would like to take out the 17' Arima for some trout. The wife has just started a new job and I want to put her on some fish so she can stop thinking about it for awhile. Lakes I was thinking on going to are Lake Goodwin, Lake Sammamish, or Lake Stevens. Any other suggestions? Which lake is good this time of year? If you were in my shoes which one would you go to?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Going Fishing Tomorrow, but What Lake?

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:12 am

Lake Sammamish: don't forget you have to use a single point hook per lure, and that hook has to be barbless, AND you can't fish for Kokonee.

Lake Goodwin: If I remember correctly has some stupid 'check for zebra mussel' type inspection and you have to go to Lake Watcom to get that inspection, so that's a no go.

So that leaves Lake Stevens.

:)
Tom.

Interests: living

tylermaster195
Petty Officer

Post by tylermaster195 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:20 am

Had no Idea about the zebra Mussel thing on lake Goodwin. Thanks for that!

Yea the barbless thing on Sammamish is kind of a turn off.

So on lake Stevens does Kokanee start picking up right now? And how is the trout fishing?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:27 am

Ok, had a thought, which is dangerous, and so had to look it up, it's not Goodwin, it's Samish. Sorry.

the page I found

http://whatcomboatinspections.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:31 am

and it looks like there is an inspection station at Samish now;

http://whatcomboatinspections.com/inspection-locations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

tylermaster195
Petty Officer

Post by tylermaster195 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 am

Ahh gotcha so Goodwin might still be on for me tomorrow.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:50 am

Dont expect non stop action if you go to goodwin. There are fish, but most are hold overs or from December planting. They are adapted to natual food sources so they wont bite on just whatever you throw out. All the fish ive caught there this winter have been good quality. Fat, pink to red meat. Ranging from 12 - 20 inches. If you can fish at least 1 line down about 5 -10 feet for 12 -14 inch action, and another down 15 - 20 feet if you want a chance at some bigger fish.

tylermaster195
Petty Officer

Post by tylermaster195 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Goodwin JoshH!

I am used to no action so anything is better than nothing [wink] . When was the last time you were out there? I see you have been fishing there a bit.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:43 pm

It was 2 weekends ago last time I was out. Last weekend was just a little too windy for me.

Stay on the southern half of the lake, the northern half isn't as good of fishing. From the Wenberg launch, you can fish north up to the rocky point you see immediately to your right, and south to about 75-100 yards from the southern end of the lake. Lately I have had more action on the southwestern part of the lake (opposite side of the lake from the launch), closer to shore early and moving out towards the middle later in the day. Both the launch side and opposite side though have produced fish for me.

tylermaster195
Petty Officer

Post by tylermaster195 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks for the good info on Goodwin JoshH!

So I went out on lake steven that day and you can read about my day here http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... id=629&t=1

Anyways thanks for posting guys!

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Might be a good thing you skipped Goodwin. I went out Sunday there and was on the receiving end of my first skunk there in quite some time.

tylermaster195
Petty Officer

Post by tylermaster195 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Yea I saw your report. I figured if I am gonna get skunked at least its closer to home, that's why I went to Stevens.