Best lakes for carp and tench?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Deadeye
Petty Officer

Best lakes for carp and tench?

Post by Deadeye » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:18 pm

I used to fish Sprague Lake a lot for carp and tench but now they have poisoned it off so I am looking for other lakes with high numbers of carp and tench, like specific lakes, and then the best places to find them in the lakes. They put up a good fight. Hoping someone won't mind giving these secrets away since they are not too popular of fish in Washington.

I have fished Sprague, Moses, Potholes and Winchester for them. But only found tench in Sprague. I had the potential new state record out of there earlier this year at 7.5 lbs. but totally forgot the state record weight for them. So I am hoping to give it another try.

I would be coming from eastern Washington, but my options are open for anything.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

RE:Best lakes for carp and tench?

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Wow 7.5 pounds! I had no idea they got that big. Tench are considered a non-native nuisance species, some of the bigger lakes I have heard have them. I have never caught one myself. Do you eat them?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:54 pm

They are all over potholes and the CNWR, but only carp though. I have heard that tench are in Elokia lake too

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:39 pm

silver lake in cowlitz county near mt st helens. thats definately the best lake for carp i know of. also a very good bass lake. alot of people fish for carp at silver lake. i went in early october and the silver lake resort dock had quite a few carp fisherman.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:09 pm

Long Lake in Spokane County I think has a bunch of carp.

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 pm

Gringo Pescador won the WL.com multi-species fishing contest with a carp that was pulled from Green Lake in Seattle. He said he made friends with some of the immigrant population that regularly fish for them. The folowing link might provie you some insight into the wonderful world of carp.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/Forum/vi ... php?t=1606

2000Subaru

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:12 am

tnj8222 wrote:silver lake in cowlitz county near mt st helens. thats definately the best lake for carp i know of. also a very good bass lake. alot of people fish for carp at silver lake. i went in early october and the silver lake resort dock had quite a few carp fisherman.

Yeah on the website it list all the fish in the lake and one of them is "edible carp". Are they just common carp that they gave a fancy name?

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:18 am

My friend went to Devils lake this summer and hooked some huge carp about 20lbs+ ez. Not sure what county.
There is Carp in Vancouver lake that are monsters as well easy over 20lbs in Clark County. I have caught a carp off the shore of the Columbia River (Clark County) 2 years ago and it was about 7lbs. Just thought I would let you know of some more lakes and how huge carp can actually get.

Look at Carp Records on the internet, there amazing.
If in doubt set the hook!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:27 am

yeah the carp records are amazing huge fish......

i believe there are to kinds of carp in silver common and grass carp. i thinhk they just put the edible carp in there for mostly the russians. thats who mostly fishes for them
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:52 am

i still think a rough fish forum would be used alot! the more people that ask for one the better chances of one being made. <')//<

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:36 pm

There are carp and tench in lake washington - not sure where they congregate most, but some huge fish have scared the c**p outta me swimming under the docks.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:06 pm

My dad snagged a 20lb crap out of LK Washington when he was a kid.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:39 pm

I've seen some MONSTROUS carp swimming around the shallows of Lake Washington...Dang scary to see them when you are swimming...

I don't think theres enough in there to fish for, but green lake just a short ways west of Lake WA will have them in there...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:53 pm

The web says there's tench in Eloika lake and some were placed in Lake WA in the late 1800's.

Deadeye
Petty Officer

Post by Deadeye » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:41 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have heard there are a lot of Carp in Banks Lake. But that lake is huge, so it would take a little bit to pattern them.

On the subject of Grass Carp....anyone know how big they get in Silver Lake, if supposidly they stocked over 80,000 of them, then they would have taken over the lake. I know it says you cannot keep them in Washington...but anyone know if they are ever planning on allowing people to keep them?

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:00 am

They planted them to eat the weeds that took over the lake. They don't want you eating them because they serve a purpose and are probably not good for your health. It's like keeping a tiger muskie that is there to eat rough fish.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:14 am

Just say no to eating carp...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:07 am

Deadeye wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have heard there are a lot of Carp in Banks Lake. But that lake is huge, so it would take a little bit to pattern them.

On the subject of Grass Carp....anyone know how big they get in Silver Lake, if supposidly they stocked over 80,000 of them, then they would have taken over the lake. I know it says you cannot keep them in Washington...but anyone know if they are ever planning on allowing people to keep them?
It's not hard to pattern carp in Banks. Just go to the shallow parts of the south end (or west end depending on which way you look at it).

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Behind my house, HUGE carp bed, with an honest 200+ fish making the area home in the summer. They are constantly cruising around, visible at night as they lay on the surface sucking stuff down, and during the day you can seem them mulling around. They also scare up when you paddle or row around in the lilly pads. Also, tremendous number of bowfishermen in the late spring early summer time as they "boil" for a 5 day or so period. At any given time 30-50 can be visible rolling around and jumping. We have a ton of carp.

Oh yeah, and these guys....

Caught about 4 miles downstream while perch fishing. UNBELIEVEABLE FIGHT!

E

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:16 pm

silver lake carp get good sized 20+ pounds. i just called silver lake rsort and asked then if you can keep some carp. they said you can keep the common carp but not the grass carp. i have seen alot of people keep them the average size i see is 5-10 pounds but i have also seen 20+
Anthony