Where to buy bait

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
JayTea
Angler

Where to buy bait

Post by JayTea » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:50 am

Hello , I just now started fishing up here in WA recently and I still can't catch any fish. I am used to fishing Texas Lakes and catching Large Mouth Bass with luers . My question is where can i find some bait up here , like worms or mealworms or whatever? I don't see any bait shops listed when i google search . I live in Redmond WA . Is there any place to buy worms ?

Also what is up with all the fishing regulations up here? everywhere you go there is some strict rule about barbless hooks or only fish during some time of the year , I aint used to that , where I come from you fish all day and and use whatever you want to use. I pay for a fishing license and they act like they don't want me catching any fish. And why the hell would i catch and release? I want to eat .

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Re: Where to buy bait

Post by fishindude » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 am

Welcome to Washington State. We have alot of fishing rules, some of which are to help protect certain species of endangered fish such as wild Steelhead and Salmon. Know the rules before you go out, the Game Warden's will not cut you any slack. Even if you are not from around here. Before we go out fishing, it is our responsibility to know the rules as fishermen. Lots of military over here and not originally from Washington. I was just in Wal mart the other day and some Navy guy was talking about how he had three poles in the water and the Game Warden wrote him a ticket and didn't cut him any slack since he was new to Washington State.

I don't know what Redmond has as far as tackle stores but here on Whidbey Island, ACE Hardware and Wal Mart both have live worms. You got to have way more options than I do over there so just check with any tackle store.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:58 am

Try Fred Meyer or Big 5 for nightcrawlers.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:11 am

Yep, Fred Meyer has decent night crawlers. They should have a fridge in the sports section. Same with Walmart, but I like the crawlers better at Fred Meyer.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:24 am

Welcome to Washington State. I grew up here so am used to it, when I went down to TX and got my fishing license and the regs I asked the guy - Is that it? #-o

Like others said, Fred Meyers, Wallmart, Big 5 Sports, maybe Dicks Sporting Goods?. You might also try Dougs boat center in Woodinville (call and find out 1st as I am not positive) or 3 Rivers Marine (also in Woodinville) (again, call em 1st - I know they have frozen bait, not sure about worms and such).
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

JayTea
Angler

Post by JayTea » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks everybody for the reply,, I managed to find some night crawlers and meal worms at Petco , I think they feed them to lizards or something . I went out to Waverly Park on Lake Washington just got back , didn't even get a nibble. Where the fish at around here? Nobody on the dock was catching anything either...

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:23 pm

This isn't Texas, it's hot in Texas. Here you have to slow down as the water temp is cooler, and fish deep where it's the right temp for the fish, and where their food is, summer time here the food goes deep, for the most part. Clear water lakes around here. I don't think Texas has that many clear water lakes. Get a boat, fish the bridge pilings in/on Lake Washington. LOTS of perch, and should be some crappy also. And there is nothing wrong with catch and release as the Washington dept of fish and wildlife doesn't raise any fish specie other than trout and salmon, the rest have to reproduce on their own, so we release the big ones to repopulate their specie. Don't forget to read the regs to learn the slot limits on some fish.
Tom.

Interests: living

JayTea
Angler

Post by JayTea » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:47 pm

thanks , I got the regs , that's why I am dumbfounded. Texas only has a few clear water lakes Possum Kingdom lake is one of them and I think lake whitney is another . Both beautiful lakes with warm water on the surface and cool down deep. Big BASS fishing there. I don't have a boat but am thinking of buying a seadoo , i reckon I can fish off that.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:44 pm

You'll be able to catch lots of perch in July-August on Lake Washington.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:50 pm

JayTea wrote:thanks , I got the regs , that's why I am dumbfounded. Texas only has a few clear water lakes Possum Kingdom lake is one of them and I think lake whitney is another . Both beautiful lakes with warm water on the surface and cool down deep. Big BASS fishing there. I don't have a boat but am thinking of buying a seadoo , i reckon I can fish off that.
I saw a couple seadoos and other similair creatures rigged up for fishing in Hawaii in May. rod holders, cooler mounts, dept finders and all. they were out fishing alongside the boat i chartered in over 4000ft deep water looking for Marlin, Tuna, Mahi and Ahi along side me. saw some kayaks out there also.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:57 am

obryan214 wrote:
JayTea wrote:thanks , I got the regs , that's why I am dumbfounded. Texas only has a few clear water lakes Possum Kingdom lake is one of them and I think lake whitney is another . Both beautiful lakes with warm water on the surface and cool down deep. Big BASS fishing there. I don't have a boat but am thinking of buying a seadoo , i reckon I can fish off that.
I saw a couple seadoos and other similair creatures rigged up for fishing in Hawaii in May. rod holders, cooler mounts, dept finders and all. they were out fishing alongside the boat i chartered in over 4000ft deep water looking for Marlin, Tuna, Mahi and Ahi along side me. saw some kayaks out there also.
I've seen them on the Cowlitz too. Unbelievably obnoxious!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Jaytea,
I sent you a PM, few days ago.
Check your inbox.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Bodofish wrote:
obryan214 wrote:
I'm going crazy looking for the like button on Bodofish's comment! LMAO :cheers:
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Welcome to WA Jay Tea! The fishing is real good here! Ya do need to be able to drive a bit to get to some more interesting areas but it's a great way to learn the state. Follow some of the reports information, the lakes, the rivers, get to know the WDFW website and the "Weekender". If you're mobile, pick up a "gazeteer" and start driving to the lakes nearest you, consulting the regs of course and branch out. I love E WA and all it has to offer at different times of the year. Fish On!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 pm

The regs here vary from strategic to confusingly bureaucratic, and there is a prejudice toward put and take trout, but there's still great fishing to be had. Like anywhere, it takes a while to learn the area.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:19 am

fishinChristian wrote:The regs here vary from strategic to confusingly bureaucratic, and there is a prejudice toward put and take trout, but there's still great fishing to be had. Like anywhere, it takes a while to learn the area.

seems like that's all Washington has is put and take trout lakes. they seem to hate quality fisheries on my side.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:21 am

Bodofish wrote:
obryan214 wrote:

just like sleds that continually do side dragging laps. now that's obnoxious.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Had a Sea-doo-doo when they first came out, undependable engine and all, and rigged a dump tray for weight rocks on the back for sturgeon fishing. Worked great. Didn't seem to have to do any people bugging though. They must have installed the mandatory part since then...

Skagit: There's more, but it takes some hunting to find the good stuff. Check out the rehab lists and avoid any lakes the F&W folks have messed up... sorry... improved... in the last 5-10 years. The problem is they make just as much off the ones that buy a license and use it once as they do with us, and there's less they need to do for it. Classical conditioning.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:17 pm

fishinChristian wrote:Had a Sea-doo-doo when they first came out, undependable engine and all, and rigged a dump tray for weight rocks on the back for sturgeon fishing. Worked great. Didn't seem to have to do any people bugging though. They must have installed the mandatory part since then...

Skagit: There's more, but it takes some hunting to find the good stuff. Check out the rehab lists and avoid any lakes the F&W folks have messed up... sorry... improved... in the last 5-10 years. The problem is they make just as much off the ones that buy a license and use it once as they do with us, and there's less they need to do for it. Classical conditioning.

seems the east side has some good quality trout lakes. I'm not prejudice though i just want quality. i don't care if that means bass, trout or whatever. why do all the lakes have to be land of eight inch stockers fished out in two weeks? i think its awful what they are doing to some of the successful warm water lakes. killing a self sustaining population of big fish to be replaced with dinks? seems there's enough lakes to give an angler some diversity in choices. anayway, not trying to hijack this thread just makes my blood boil sometimes.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 pm

I hear that!