How to keep kids interested in fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
oneshot
Commodore

How to keep kids interested in fishing

Post by oneshot » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 am

put'em on the fish!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlCJC0QqVc0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

posted this on "other" forum, forgot to post here.. I'm sure the dads will like this..

rock on \m/

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Re: How to keep kids interested in fishing

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:38 am

cute, cant wait til my kid is old enough

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Nice! You should try Lake Cavanaugh in skagit co. I took my 5y old daughter up there and had a blast. Fished mainly for Kokanee but the cutts were hard to get through. Had good action from 10am to 230 pm when we stopped. I had down riggers but I had friends that did good with banana weights as well. You will want a boat.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Idstud wrote: You will want a boat.
nice! guess i should go get a boat asap!!! never had one of those.. #-o

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 am

Great vid man! Always a blast to see kiddos catching and having fun! Just started taking my 2 year old fishing this spring! Hey, what do you use to mount your go pro?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:07 pm

My daughter (4YO) watched with me, her comments were "Hey, he's a fishing kid just like me!" and "where are his snacks?" I pointed out the bag of fish crackers (I think that is what they are) and that made her feel better.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm

ResQ wrote:Great vid man! Always a blast to see kiddos catching and having fun! Just started taking my 2 year old fishing this spring! Hey, what do you use to mount your go pro?
i have a standard tripod mounted on back of boat and then the following links

this thing is awesome!! mounts to almost anything, anytime, anywhere..
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-244-Var ... superclamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have to have the superclamp as well. sold separate
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-035RL-S ... superclamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

killer combo! fast, easy and mounts to anything
Gringo Pescador wrote:My daughter (4YO) watched with me, her comments were "Hey, he's a fishing kid just like me!" and "where are his snacks?" I pointed out the bag of fish crackers (I think that is what they are) and that made her feel better.
we had a whole bag of snacks.. you know the drill! [thumbup]
kid was feeding the ducks the goldfish tho, that's when i tapped my monopod on boat to scare them off and my Contour camera came attached and sunk.. #-o

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:00 pm

oneshot wrote:
ResQ wrote:Great vid man! Always a blast to see kiddos catching and having fun! Just started taking my 2 year old fishing this spring! Hey, what do you use to mount your go pro?
i have a standard tripod mounted on back of boat and then the following links

this thing is awesome!! mounts to almost anything, anytime, anywhere..
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-244-Var ... superclamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have to have the superclamp as well. sold separate
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-035RL-S ... superclamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

killer combo! fast, easy and mounts to anything
Gringo Pescador wrote:My daughter (4YO) watched with me, her comments were "Hey, he's a fishing kid just like me!" and "where are his snacks?" I pointed out the bag of fish crackers (I think that is what they are) and that made her feel better.
we had a whole bag of snacks.. you know the drill! [thumbup]
kid was feeding the ducks the goldfish tho, that's when i tapped my monopod on boat to scare them off and my Contour camera came attached and sunk.. #-o

There was a great article about introducing kids to fishing in STS last winter - basically take to the store and let em by all the crap (snacks) they want, then dole them out as they get boord. But also let em call the shots, when they are done, you are done.

Sorry to hear about the camera. You are wecome to borrow my snorkle gear, but it probably isn't worth it unless it is in a waterproof case or something..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 pm

totally.. once the kid is done, we're done, it just goes downhill once he is bored.. but almost 7 he is getting better and better..

yep, it was a waterproof contour.. 15ft of water 50 ft from shore.. :-"
i don't have time

i posted this in another thread too.. :)
free cam!! right here
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+Ser ... erene&z=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm

What a great video! LOVE seeing the kids out fishing :) Might have to take a day to go swimming in Serene some day soon ;)

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:19 pm

oneshot wrote:
Sorry there Oneshot I assumed the boat in the vid was yours.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Idstud wrote:
oneshot wrote:
I also wanted to add that in there for others so they didnt show up to that lake and expect there to be a lot of beach access because there isnt much.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 am

Idstud wrote:
oneshot wrote:

Haha.. It is my boat.. I was making funnies.. :) doesn't always work on thee'ol internet's.. [thumbup]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 am

kids and fishing... I remember. Snacks, and the thing for them was hand held game boy which sort of defeated the purpose but at least it got them on the water. Hook a fish, hand them the pole, reel in fish excited for five minutes, then back to the game boy. They still managed to grow up OK. [cool]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".