Lake algae

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
lxmas
Angler

Lake algae

Post by lxmas » Wed May 02, 2007 9:41 am

I know algae depletes oxygen in the lake but when there is mass green algae particles where do the fish go? Does it affect their gills? Do they bite in these conditions? They didn't for me.

lxmas

gpc
Admiral

RE:Lake algae

Post by gpc » Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 am

I know what your talking about and every year almost every lake goes through this. Just like when the trees and flowers go into bloom and there is pollen everywhere. I have also noticed the fishing changes. Dont worry about changing your bait entirly just change your color or try working you lure a little sloer than you normaly would

Jay S
Petty Officer

Post by Jay S » Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 am

try using natural colors some lake i have found it harder to catch fish but on others i have had some excelent fishing in these conditions. This might move fish around so your question where the ygo is a good one. Thats what you must figure out because they are still there and if you hit them in the head most likely you will get a reaction strike and still catch fish. Its always about location.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 am

Often times they get their hiding or ambush spots taken from them by the growth, but if you can get your line down there, the fishing can be really good...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....