Walsh Lake?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
nutjobrob
Angler

Walsh Lake?

Post by nutjobrob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 am

Hey guys,
New guy, love the forum, very helpful.
So, I've been eyeballing Walsh Lake as a float-tube lake and can't find ANYTHING on it. Thought there might be some cutties in there. It's SW of Rattlesnake Lake and looks like you can drive in through Hobart.
Anyone know anything?
Thanks
Rob

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Re: Walsh Lake?

Post by Aaron » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 am

I've added Walsh Lake to our database in case you manage to go fishing there and want to post a report about it.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

nutjobrob
Angler

Post by nutjobrob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Aaron wrote:I've added Walsh Lake to our database in case you manage to go fishing there and want to post a report about it.
Thanks, Aaron. May drive by it on my way to Rattlesnake next week.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Try and take some photos if you can, even if you don't go fishing. We can add them to our lake information page.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:14 pm

I think its private. Let us know if you find anything out!

nutjobrob
Angler

Post by nutjobrob » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Yup, private. Drove out on my way to Rattlesnake Thursday to check it out and ran out of public road.

TheKingOfTrout
Angler

Post by TheKingOfTrout » Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi y'all, for people curious about this lake, like I was too I looked into some reports on the lake. Super interesting history, there is 11 different documented species of fish in the lake that include a population Kokanee. "Surveyors never located more than 20 kokanee redds in any given year from 1997 to 2001" (Seattle.gov, 2005) Then in 2002 it looked like the population of Kokanee grew. "SPU staff collected DNA samples from 87 fish during the 2002 spawning season" (Seattle.gov, 2005) Basically the population has grown, and researchers can't pinpoint the origin of the Kokanee. These fish are like relics similar to the Bull Trout and Pygmy Whitefish found in Chester Morse Lake. "Bull trout and pygmy whitefish populations in Chester Morse Lake have thus been separated from other populations for at least 13,000 years, and represent unique genetic stocks of these species" (Wikipedia.org, 2017) Chester Morse Lake was formed 14,000 years ago. In relation to Walsh lake these landlocked sockeye salmon could share a similar history to the Bull Trout and Pygmy Whitefish found in Chester Morse Lake. In my opinion I think somethings are better just left alone, I think Walsh lake is one of those. We enjoy the outdoors, but we also have a job to preserve it and this lake has a small fragile population of fish that we should protect by not bothering it.

References:

Rattlesnake Lake. (2018). En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 23 May 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnake_Lake

(2018). Seattle.gov. Retrieved 23 May 2018, from https://www.seattle.gov/Util/cs/groups/ ... 003227.pdf

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 23, 2018 11:53 am

@Kingofthetrout, Well said sir!
That was a good read. (The elusive and rarely caught on camera...’Pygmy whitefish ‘ :-" :-"