Where does the water come from for Sun Lakes?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
DH
Petty Officer

Where does the water come from for Sun Lakes?

Post by DH » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:28 pm

I have had some good trips to the Sun Lakes chain this year. Does anyone know if, or how Deep, Park, Blue Lake, and Lenore are connected? Does the canal system below Banks Lake somehow feed fresh water to them? I noticed a flow in Blue Lake this fall and the lake level dropped over a weeks time. The flow was to the south where Lenore and Alkali lakes are. I find the geography and fishing of that area to be a great place to visit. Thanks. DH

jmay
Lieutenant

RE:Where does the water come from for Sun Lakes?

Post by jmay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Those are all seep lakes, ground water working its way to the surface via cracks in the basalt. Blue lake has some large underwater springs feeding it...ps those springs fish well in the summer

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:20 pm

ALOT OF THEM ARE SEEP LAKES, BUT SOME OF THE WATER COMES FROM PARTS OF THE COLUMBIA BASIN IRRIGATION PROJECT, IRRIGATION DRAINAGE. SOME OTHER SEEP LAKES ARE OFF OF POTHOLES RESEVIOR, ALL THE WAY TO OTHELLO (VIRGIN,CANAL,MARCO POLO).

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi there DH,
If you are interested in the area, you might want to check out a book called ( CATACYSMS on the COLUMBIA)
By John Eliot and Marjorie Burns with Sam C.Sargent.
Its a very interesting read.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi there DH,
If you are interested in the area, you might want to check out a book called ( CATACLYSMS on the COLUMBIA)
By John Eliot and Marjorie Burns with Sam C.Sargent.
Its a very interesting read.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:41 pm

jmay wrote:Those are all seep lakes, ground water working its way to the surface via cracks in the basalt. Blue lake has some large underwater springs feeding it...ps those springs fish well in the summer
I think that JMay is correct. I got out my Gazetteer and looked closely at the area. There are springs all over the place in that area. Judging from the number of wells also in the area, I would guess that there is quite a large water table under that region.

Speaking of Lenore, has anyone fished it yet this fall?

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:30 am

I went back and looked at a geology book from "USC", University of Spokane Cheney aka EWU.

There was a volcanic fissure near present day Walla Walla the spread layers of lava over 10's of thousand of years. Between each layer water was trapped because in geologic time Eastern Washington was a moist climate. The cooled lava, basalt, is brittle and when cracked the trapped water will flow to the lowest points causing present day lakes. The trapped water is also the source of Rocky Ford's water and Gloyd seeps north or Moses Lake.

Towns like Odessa, Ritzville ect receive there drinking water by drilling wells and taking water from between each crack. Once a well runs dry you can just drill deeper to the next layer to find the next source of water. However since this is pre historic water with very little aquafer recharge there is only a finite amount.