Never fished before

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
SeaSkip
Angler

Never fished before

Post by SeaSkip » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 pm

I've never fished before.

OK, I lied. I went fishing once when I was a kid and I caught a tiny blue gill in Florida. My grandpa fed the thing to some big bird. I never went fishing again. My dad never taught me how to fish or hunt which I felt I missed out on.

That said, I am getting a boat and I'm looking forward to learning how to fish. This time, anything I catch won't be fed to the birds! :)

However, I have no idea what to fish for, what equipment to get, etc. I hate to start this forum off by asking everyone to help me, but I wondered if anyone might be willing to tell me where I can find information on how to get started. If you're willing to help a guy out, please let me know.

FishingFool
Captain

Re: Never fished before

Post by FishingFool » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm

What kind of boat are you getting?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:38 am

FishingFool wrote:What kind of boat are you getting?
also
What kind of fish do you want to catch?
What kind of water do you want to fish (Salt? Fresh? Lake? River?)

I would suggest getting your boat, take it to small lakes where you can learn:
Launching & takeout without the stress of crowds.
Navigation (how the boat handles) in small water before stepping up to bigger water.
Start with some power bait, worms and go for stocker trout or whatever might take your bait.
Learn how to fight the little ones, how to unhook em, how to clean em, cook em, etc.

If you more of a visual learner (like me) go to the videos section of the forum and check out the adventures of WaLakes member oneshot this past summer. He knows fishing, but got his new boat and has been taking to a lot of little lakes to familierize himself with it before hitting bigger water and rivers. Also checkout Mike's videos on the different lakes and fisheries - gives you good information about local lake and river launches and fisheries and how to fish em. and they are just fun to watch [thumbup]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

SeaSkip
Angler

Post by SeaSkip » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:34 am

FishingFool wrote:What kind of boat are you getting?
Gringo Pescador wrote: I would suggest getting your boat, take it to small lakes where you can learn:...
My boat isn't going to be the type I take to anywhere but the lake and the sound. It's a 33' power cruiser (Formula 31PC). I should clarify that I'm not buying it so I can fish. However, since I'm buying it, I plan to fish. Hope that makes sense.

This is a 2008 version of the boat I'm getting. It's being built now and should be here in mid-to-late September.

I initially just want to fish in Lake Washington. Salmon seems interesting, but I'm open to catching anything really.
Gringo Pescador wrote: What kind of fish do you want to catch?
What kind of water do you want to fish (Salt? Fresh? Lake? River?)
Fresh water for now and, specifically, Lake Washington. I'll probaby not venture out into the sound until spring comes back around. I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions. As I said, salmon sounds fun, but I'm down to try catching anything, but I don't know anything just yet. I don't know how to even get a hook out once I've caught something. I don't know what to do with the fish once I've caught it - how to store it, fillet it or otherwise. I am sincerely and hopelessly new to all of this.
Gringo Pescador wrote: If you more of a visual learner (like me) go to the videos section of the forum and check out the adventures of WaLakes member oneshot this past summer. He knows fishing, but got his new boat and has been taking to a lot of little lakes to familierize himself with it before hitting bigger water and rivers. Also checkout Mike's videos on the different lakes and fisheries - gives you good information about local lake and river launches and fisheries and how to fish em. and they are just fun to watch [thumbup]
I'm more of a "give me the overview, then the details" sorta guy. In other words, I'd prefer just to be told "go buy this, go to this spot and do this." Then, after I've done it, I get to backfill that knowledge with an understanding of why I bought those things, why that spot is a good place, and why doing what I did was necessary for better success. I don't like having to learn a million things before I actually "do" something. I lose interest very quickly that way. :)

In either case, I sincerely appreciate any pointers / assistance you're willing to provide.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 am

With a big boy like that you're going to need a trolling motor or kicker and some way to steer it. Rod holders, maybe down riggers and for LK WA some Trout lures since you can't fish for much Salmon. A good place to start is trolling 520 and I90 bridges but watch out for the anchors. You'll probably want a good GPS fish finder, a big as you can afford, you'll want it for Nav. out in the Sound when you get there. Ask any of the Sporing goods stores for the details, they can hook you up with lures and stuff. Ask away as you get closer to your launch date. She looks like a lot of fun!!!! you will be going out in the Sound with that beauty!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

SeaSkip
Angler

Post by SeaSkip » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 am

I definitely plan to go out into the Sound, but I will likely wait until I'm used to puttering around LK WA a bit. I'm working with the Bellevue chapter of the US Power Squadron as well, so I might be out there sooner than I think.

Anyway, I don't want to get too crazy. I'm simply thinking about going out into the lake somewhere and dropping a line. Rod holders are likely necessary and it's a good thing this already has two of them built into the transom. :) Not even sure what a down rigger is. That's what you're dealing with here.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

I guess my point is with a boat that size you're going to be trolling and that's how you catch Salmon. I guess you could just toss a line over with some bait but I don't think you'll be catching much. You could try around the mouth of the Cedar at the south end of the lake but there's a lot of hidden suprises in the fishing zone, like washer sized cement blocks and stuff.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:13 am

I would suggest taking a charter out for a day..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

SeaSkip
Angler

Post by SeaSkip » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I would suggest taking a charter out for a day..
Any recommendations on who to go out with? Not sure where to even find a charter.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 pm

SeaSkip wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:I would suggest taking a charter out for a day..
Any recommendations on who to go out with? Not sure where to even find a charter.

http://washingtonlakes.com/Guides.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 pm

fishing gear will depend on what you want to fish and how you want to fish. if from the boat down riggers will help a lot. from shore I like a 10' rod I lien towards Shimano line due to the over the counter warranty, this is just a line of rods I like cost is cheap... Lami Loomis fenwic all kinds of brands it is really up to the person and what they feel comfortable with...

I have rods for everything I fish for surf, pier, boat, river, and docks I have from spinning to bait caster rods. I am not sure of what area you live in but Sportco, wholesale sports are the 2 main places I go to they will help you out with what you need to fish a species.

most fisherfolks like Glass rods from Lami when using a down rigger set up. someone more Knowledgeable will have to chime in on Boat tactics... where to fish salmon is In season not again depending on where you live and also if you want to bank fish I would talk to Natetreat or if a river or boat any of the guides can help shed some light on what they use and why. most of the guides are good people I would imagine the Guides listed on this site are all good guys. Mike likes to keep a Clean fun forum with Reputable Guides and what not.

Hope that helps

Boeingfisher2706
Petty Officer

Post by Boeingfisher2706 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:06 pm

I recommend you get a spinning rod and reel seeing as you haven't fished in a while. Also you may want to look at take me fishing they teach you stuff and they are really helpful as for your boat a boating class would be cool and a trip to Cabela's to get fishing electronics squared away is recommended,

Best regards,
JR

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:21 am

Go buy a cheaper spinning rod/reel combo, some bobbers, hooks, weights and then some bait. Like night crawlers or power bait. That will get you headed in some sort of direction.
If you figure out how to get that big thing to troll, buy some trolling weights (better yet, a downrigger. [pretty much a heavy duty fishing rod mounted to your boat with a large weight and clip so you can get your lure down to the depth you want to fish]) after you have your trolling weights or whatever, spinners, wedding rings, crank baits, rapalas and spoons can be trolled for trout or salmon. Small flashers or gang trolls are tied on your main line in front of your lure to help attract fish.
That should help you out at least a little bit. Get on youtube and start looking at videos of how to fish. Everything you need to know is in one video or another.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 am

Where to start? That's a trolling boat for sure, bute another thing that you can do is jig and mooch herring in the sound for salmon. Okuma makes a great line of species specific rods, if you get the SST line, just pick the fish you're after and you'l be set with a great rod. You're going to eventually want downriggers and a good nav fish finder, and troll the sound. In Lake Washington you can get a lot of smallmouth drop shotting structure. A weight below a hook. It can be confusing just starting out, but with the many options available, you'll get hooked. Lake Sammamish has kings in it that you can get at fairly easy. A bobber and worms will catch you perch, sunfish, bass, suckers etc. so that's a great place to start.