Lake Chelan Camping/Fishing Help

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Dan360
Petty Officer

Lake Chelan Camping/Fishing Help

Post by Dan360 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:52 pm

My wife has been interested in going to Lake Chelan to camp and enjoy some water sports. Camping might turn into a cabin rental instead because I'm thinking some of her friends might go along as well. Do any of you have any experience on a decent place to stay where we might rent some water toys to ride on?

Another thing, is it realistic that I might be able to get some fishing in? I know next to nothing about the lake besides some pictures I've seen on here. I only have a 14 ft aluminum boat with an electric motor and a 9 HP gas motor.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Re: Lake Chelan Camping/Fishing Help

Post by mwdehaan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 pm

I camped at the state park in June with the family and had a blast. Weather was crummy for one of the days but the others were great.

We fished from a 16' deep v boat and had absolutely no issues. From what I saw if you fish the mornings you'll be fine there with your boat.

I'd recommend contacting one of the guide services there. Get a place scoped out and ask them if they could recommend a decent place to find fish in that area. More importantly, ask them about where the winds and storms can pick up from. I got some invaluable information from them regarding where the storms would usually come off of and where to keep an eye out. I was also able to get some information on three solid places to fish.

We ran downriggers but it might be possibly to just add some weight. I also heard about some people just doing vertical jigging but I don't know if that paid off.

One spot I didn't hear about that provided a little fun... Some areas of the lake there will be an aqua colored bottom and then it'll drop a good several feet to a weed bed providing a shelf. When I tossed lures to the shallows and brought it over the shelf I'd get bites and the occasional hookup. Only tried this for a few minutes but if you don't have downriggers you might try something like that early in the day.

I wrote a short story about the camping trip in this section of the forum, it's probably back a page or two now, I believe it was called Family Camping Trip at Lake Chelan, or something along those lines.

As for the water sports, pack a wetsuit, haha. Maybe not seriously but the water was 58 degrees when I was there in early June. I've heard the water doesn't get warm there.

Hope you have a great trip and hopefully you'll share a story with us when you return.