To catch a cat!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Fish-or-man?
Commander

To catch a cat!

Post by Fish-or-man? » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm

I was thinking of going on a channel cat quest this summer. Probably in August. Any advice on a good area to consistently catch channel catfish in Washington? My guess would be somewhere on the Snake River, but even after reading the fishing reports, I wouldn't know where to start. I'd be willing to travel anywhere in the state-- thanks for any advice!

BassDood
Commander

Re: To catch a cat!

Post by BassDood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:08 pm

I've read the Snake, Yakima River, Swofford Pond, Harts Lake, a few others. Might have to research it. Good luck!

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:35 pm

We use to catch them out of the Snake by Wawawai County Park and Boyer Campground just using nightcrawlers. I imagine catfish dough would work too, but we were usually just messing around not trying for anything specific when we'd catch them. It was after I'd get tired of catching Smallmouth lol

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:34 am

WDFW has planted cats in lakes around the state, there might be info at their website.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:19 pm

The mouth of the Palouse River where it meets the Snake is almost a slam-dunk for channel cats. Give Lyons Ferry KOA a call first to ensure the water is warm enough to make them gather up.

I went in 2009 and hit the fishery on the nose. Went last year and with the excess snow the fishery was 3 weeks late(r). First time it was how many cats does one want. Second time only one was caught. Three weeks later lots were caught.

Memorial Day is a good time to start. PM if you'd like more info. One thing to watch out for is not running your boat motor in too shallow an area.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 am

Lyons Ferry is good. Fish around the bridge abutments...

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks a ton everybody! I think I'll give Lyon's Ferry a go-- and will go down the Snake if I've missed the run.

ngolling
Angler

cats from the shore lyons ferry

Post by ngolling » Sun May 04, 2014 7:58 pm

I was trout fishing at Evans Pond outside of Clarkston the other week and met a guy who told me Lyons Ferry was great for Cats, which i was thrilled to hear, as they are my favorite fish to go after. Today i went with my daughter and fished from the shore at the kayak launch past the park on the north end of the bridge. i was using trout cutbait, and got skunked. I was wondering if anyone knew of any productive spots i could try from the shore. Thanks!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Channel catfish are nocturnal, try fishing at night, first 2 hours after sundown are best early June through the summer months should be good. cut bait, worms , bloodbait or chicken livers/stockings are all good baits. I grew up on the east coast and have caught 1000 or so of them, I would say the snake river or potholes would be a good bet for larger catfish.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:27 am

Time to restart this post. Has anyone gone after the Channel cats in Campbell lake?

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Post by T-Bone » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:38 am

Lake Terrell near Ferndale in Whatcom county has channel catfish to 20lbs; I've seen the pictures and caught much smaller ones. Primarily a boat fishing show.