not bad

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
shegel
Petty Officer

not bad

Post by shegel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:45 am

if anyone wants to go fishin on the lake that this was cought on let me know, its private so i have to be with you for it to be legit

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

RE:not bad

Post by skeeter bassin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:15 am

That fish sure does look to me like it falls inside the slot limit. Guessing it wasn't released since it is in a sink.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:28 am

Was it eatin?

Any good?

Maybe it was revived with a little mouth to large mouth and lived to fight another day.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shegel
Petty Officer

Post by shegel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:51 am

skeeter bassin wrote:That fish sure does look to me like it falls inside the slot limit. Guessing it wasn't released since it is in a sink.
we were keeping this fisf from the moment it hit. im lucky to even catch sunfish in this lake, and to catch somethin like this is rare, atleast for me.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:50 am

skeeter bassin wrote:That fish sure does look to me like it falls inside the slot limit. Guessing it wasn't released since it is in a sink.
Actually, the WDFW rules to not apply to lakes that are privately owned. It is up to the owner of the property to set guidelines if he/ she wishes to allow others permission to fish the lake.

Joe
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

dbaker
Petty Officer

Post by dbaker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 pm

reading comprehension is such a good thing. :bounce:

shegel
Petty Officer

Post by shegel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:25 pm

given that it is a private lake, i am not that concerned they stock bass trout perch. etc etc once every 4 months. and yes we do have our own limits but there is no size restrictions just catch limints. just out of curriosity where can i find the slot limits for the lakes around my area?

i am around the puyallup bonney lake area.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:34 pm

shegel wrote:given that it is a private lake, i am not that concerned they stock bass trout perch. etc etc once every 4 months. and yes we do have our own limits but there is no size restrictions just catch limints. just out of curriosity where can i find the slot limits for the lakes around my area?

i am around the puyallup bonney lake area.

In the fishing regs

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:03 pm

Thinking before you speak is also a such a good thing, obviously not directed at you beerman.

It has always been my impression that state regs are state regs, no matter if you are on private land or not. Such as we are still obligated to follow state laws if we are on our own private land or on city streets. Not knowing for sure how this applied to fishing I scoured the regs and was not able to find anything that would substantiate this.

So I fired off an email to the state to get some verification. Here is the reply.

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

Your best source for information on licenses, daily limits, season, restrictions, etc. that are regulated by WDFW would be the 2007/2008 Fishing In Washington Sport Fishing Rules regulation pamphlet. This pamphlet is full of a lot of useful information, such as license fees for both resident and non-resident on page 20. This publication is formatted with the regulations for Westside Rivers first, followed by Westside Lakes, Eastside Rivers, Eastside Lakes, Marine Area Rules and finally Shellfish/Seaweed Rules. There is also a list of the 6 Regional offices that are located throughout the state, with phone numbers included, on page 13.

A license is required to fish even private lakes and ponds, as well as compliance with all rules & regulations, as the resource still belongs to the state. This includes daily and slot limits on all species of fish. That applies to all bodies of water where fresh water is running in or out of it or both. The "private" part is only related to access, if it's not open to the public due to private property surrounding the entire body of water, people would need to get permission to access it by land (however, they can legally drop down from a helicopter with a float tube and legally fish the body of water - just for frame of reference). The only exception would be if it was completely man-made, dug out by hand by the owners, like a swimming pool that is stocked only by the owners, again with no freshwater running in or out and no resident fish accessible etc.

Please make sure you check for emergency rule changes before you harvest as follows:

Fishing Rule Change Hotline at (360) 902-2500
Shellfish Rule Change Hotline at 1-866-880-5431
Or, try our new searchable emergency rule link off our website at: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp

Additionally, for shellfish, make sure to call the Dept. of Health Marine Toxins PSP Hotline at 1-800-562-5632.

If you have further questions, please email again or call (360) 902-2700. Our Customer Service hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
Fish Program
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:20 pm

skeeter bassin wrote:The only exception would be if it was completely man-made, dug out by hand by the owners, like a swimming pool that is stocked only by the owners, again with no freshwater running in or out and no resident fish accessible etc.
Thats the part that always gets people - man made vs existing, whether on private land or not.

Love the bit about the helicopter

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 pm

Did you guys read that carefully?? "Drop down from a helicopter" That is the most awesome description of how to get over on someones rules (Especially the state's)
If I ever get hold of chopper I am coming in with all rods drawn!
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

dbaker
Petty Officer

Post by dbaker » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:45 pm

The email references man made ponds that are privately stocked. What if the lake is private(private access but not man made) but is personally stocked by the landowners? The email does not seem to address that point.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:01 pm

I am definately down for helicopter fishing. :-"

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

shegel
Petty Officer

Post by shegel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:33 pm

know whats kinda funny is that it was completely man made. in the 1960s the home owners decided they wanted a lake so they dredged the swamp that was there and made a lake. (so i guess if a swamp is considered a lake then i'm sorry and i'll pay more attention to the regulations) up to this point i had no idea i was always told that the home owners association payed to stock the lake and therefore the fish inside it were theirs and that since i lived there i could fish it without any thought to things like the rules that apply to other lakes like tapps

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:23 pm

drop me in like survivor man with a pole and i'll find my way out a week later. there are a few farmers out my way that feel the law does not apply to them when the creek runs through" their" property. hey more power to the the ones that can regulate who gets to access their property to fish these lakes, at least those lakes won't be closed because of being trashed and vandilized like the I-82 ponds #4-#5 were today.