Catfishin?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Whidbeyfisherman
Petty Officer

Catfishin?

Post by Whidbeyfisherman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey I'm plannitng on doin some catfishin (channels and brown bullheads) what are techniques and set-ups for them?

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

RE:Catfishin?

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Catfish eat alot of different things.
Bar-S Hotdogs work pretty good.
I lost a pole the other day to a fish
that bit a bar-s hotdog.
Nightcrawlers.
Another technique that u like to use, i take a can of
tuna, and cut some holes in it, (tiny holes) I tie it to a piece of string
or whatever and throw it in the water, the scent of the tuna
lures in the cats. make sure u bring in the can tho.
All these techniques work, but my overall favorite-CHICKEN LIVER!
PM me for some more tips, i catch cats alot, and know alot about them.
Ive even caughten catfish on lures.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:48 pm

trot line, hand line, hook line sinker fishing rod. old meat, squawfish guts, chicken guts, catfish bait.
Tom.

Interests: living

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:51 pm

i use herring most of the time for channels (hot dogs cut into pieces and soaked in some scent work well too) and plain ol' nightcrawlers on the bottom for the bullheads. i fish around lily pads as much as possible as the sun sets and they start moving around. Silver lake out in graham, you can usually catch bullhead cats all day during the summer with worms on the bottom off the right side of the dock.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Whidbeyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Whidbeyfisherman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, what time of year works for cats?

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Whidbeyfisherman wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, what time of year works for cats?
I start fishing for them middle of march-late september/early october.

I have caught them in December, but I had to work alot harder for them.
In December, the smallest i have caught was about 4 pounds, I have not caught ANY
small catfish. Biggest has been about 9 pounds. Good Luck.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:06 pm

once the water gets warms up to the mid 60's they start moving getting more active. i personally dont fish'em til summer is in full swing, that way i'm not targeting spawning fish.

Meeks9591
Warrant Officer

Post by Meeks9591 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 pm

A regular Carolina rig with a 2/0 owner circle hook with cut bait always works for me, chicken liver is another good bait probably my favorite.
Millions of lakes, millions of fish, 1 angler 1 life, live it and fish it!
I'm an ADDICTED TROPHY HUNTER.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:00 pm

Meeks9591 wrote:A regular Carolina rig with a 2/0 owner circle hook with cut bait always works for me, chicken liver is another good bait probably my favorite.
I caught 3 cats in december weighing 9 pounds, 8 pounds, and 6 pounds, all on chicken liver.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
Meeks9591 wrote:A regular Carolina rig with a 2/0 owner circle hook with cut bait always works for me, chicken liver is another good bait probably my favorite.
I caught 3 cats in december weighing 9 pounds, 8 pounds, and 6 pounds, all on chicken liver.
Yup, back in high school we used chicken guts, rabbit guts, squirrel guts, whatever we shot the day before fishing.
Tom.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Amx wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
Yup, back in high school we used chicken guts, rabbit guts, squirrel guts, whatever we shot the day before fishing.
Ahaha thats funny... i used some rabbit guts that one of my uncles caught, nothin.
I see how they would work great tho.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
Amx wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote: I caught 3 cats in december weighing 9 pounds, 8 pounds, and 6 pounds, all on chicken liver.
Ahaha thats funny... i used some rabbit guts that one of my uncles caught, nothin.
I see how they would work great tho.
We had more than enough guts laying around the place festering for a good day's, and night's, fishing to come. [laugh]
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm

I just remembered that years ago, 1967 to be exact, I had a trotline out and tied to a bush. Went into the Navy and forgot to retrieve the line. Then the next time I was in Calif. My younger brother and I went out to the borrows area and there was no water left in any of those ponds. But my trotline was still tied to the bush, nothing on the hooks tho. The next time I was there was in Nov., 1972.
Tom.

Graceclaw
Angler

Post by Graceclaw » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:02 am

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
Channels? I wasn't aware they were in lakes around here *shrug* It's hard to imagine a bullhead weighing that much

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:43 am

Graceclaw wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
Channels? I wasn't aware they were in lakes around here *shrug* It's hard to imagine a bullhead weighing that much
The Fish_Bait lives in Arizona, FYI.:bball:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:29 am

Sorry, I apologize in advance for the following: Don't catfish eat just about anything other than dogfish? LOL
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:27 am

they'll eat just about anything, but channel cats (once they get some size on'em) are predators and hunt live fish & frogs. when i'm out at hearts lake or swofford pond where i know some pigs are swimming i like fresh cut bait or herring to target the bigger fish. that said my biggest cat so far was 14lbs out of harts and i got it on some stink bait. never know whats gonna tickle their fancy any given night so it's best to bring a few different baits if you after the big boys.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Are there any lakes on the north/west side that have channels in them?

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:47 pm

natetreat wrote:Are there any lakes on the north/west side that have channels in them?
Harts Lake,Pierce County.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Channel cats are hard to find in these parts but bullheads are everywhere. Most are caught accidentally by trout fishermen using nightcrawlers. I caught my last bullhead at Cassidy a few years ago -- on a 1/16 oz homemade jig!

Fresh channel cat is good eating but I still prefer walleye and slab perch over just about anything else. Not sure how big they get here in WA.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus