Thousands of ((JUMBO)) trout planted in lakes.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Big D

Thousands of ((JUMBO)) trout planted in lakes.

Post by Big D » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 am

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/release.php?id=oct0610a

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

October 6, 2010

Thousands of ((JUMBO)) trout planted in lakes in Jefferson, Mason and Kitsap counties.

OLYMPIA - Jumbo rainbow trout are being planted in lakes in Jefferson, Mason and Kitsap counties to boost fishing opportunities this fall and winter, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today.

WDFW hatchery crews are planting a total of 12,500 rainbow trout - each weighing nearly one pound - into Gibbs and Teal lakes in Jefferson County; Island, Kokanee, Lost, Nahwatzel, Spencer and Trails End lakes in Mason County; and Kitsap Lake in Kitsap County.

Crews are expected to finish stocking the lakes with jumbo trout later this week, said Mark Downen, WDFW’s area fish biologist. The trout were raised at WDFW’s Eells Springs Hatchery near Shelton.

"The lakes that are being stocked are open year-round and provide anglers a great fall and winter trout fishing opportunity," said Downen. "Some of the jumbo rainbow trout will continue to grow and be available to anglers next spring as well."

Information on when and where fish are stocked in area lakes is available on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/plants/weekly/ and complete fishing regulations can be found at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/ .

All anglers 15 years of age and older are required to have a valid fishing license. Licenses can be purchased on the Internet ( https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/ ), by telephone (1-866-246-9453), or at hundreds of license dealers across the state (listed on the WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/vendors/ ).
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Thousands of ((JUMBO)) trout planted in lakes.

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Big D wrote: 12,500 rainbow trout - each weighing nearly one pound -
Wow!:-"
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:15 pm

They should throw em in lakes that are closed for the winter. Let em grow for 5 months for the spring opener.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:23 pm

that's a fine idea gringo. i get tired of catching little trout.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I sure wish they would do a winter plant up north. It seems like that never happens in my neck of the woods.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I was actually being a little sarcastic on the above quote from the article. I just thought it was a little funny that the reporter called them "Jumbo trout" at being a little shy of a pound.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:11 pm

The Quadfather wrote:I was actually being a little sarcastic on the above quote from the article. I just thought it was a little funny that the reporter called them "Jumbo trout" at being a little shy of a pound.
I thought it was funny too - especially since the notice came straight from WDFW..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Those lakes in mason county put out some BIG trout. I'm talkin 20 + inches. I used to live out that way and I know for a fact. Not very much pressure, a lot of those plants end up in the lake as big holdovers.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 pm

yes those lakes in mason put out some nice fish and so does kitsap my two biggest trout to date have came out of kitsap lake

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:29 am

NEARLY a pound is HUGE......
compared to the 3-4 fish per pound things that they plant
10s of thousands at a time in most lakes for our fishing/catching "pleasure"
...DOG

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I much rather my liencse go to removing the tribal nets than 1lb frigging fish.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:16 pm

sickbayer wrote:I much rather my liencse go to removing the tribal nets than 1lb frigging fish.
One of the best comments I have seen on this forum :salut:

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:06 am

I agree Chris that the 1 pound "jumbo" trout is a joke. In my mind, a jumbo trout is a 20+ inch hold over. A 1 pound trout is a plant. Man how times have changed! BTW, Every time I think about tribal nets or tribal crabbing I wanna puke! Talk about a joke! Thank you WA State..............

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:10 pm

To me, it seems like this would be a better time for the plant anyhow. The whole, plant them right before open is a bit ridiculous as they just get taken right back out anyhow since the fish are basically stupid and will hit anything. Why not give them a chance to actually grow a little, smarten up and really add to the lake's population and keep the sport a little better during the course of the year instead of just the stupid opener. I won't fish openers as I fish all year round and if I am to fish that week, it's gonna be in the hills where I'm draggin the canoe in; I hate combat fishing. Of course, up here in Snohomish county, we didn't get any of these fall plants......wuzzzup wit dat!??
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Fish that are 1-1.9/lbs. are considered jumbo. Here are the other classifications:

50+/lbs. fry
10-49/lbs. fingerling
2-9/lbs. catchable
0.1-0.9/lbs. broodstock

stace
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 pm

The Quadfather wrote:I was actually being a little sarcastic on the above quote from the article. I just thought it was a little funny that the reporter called them "Jumbo trout" at being a little shy of a pound.
I hear you, but considering the size of the plants that I've seen in Steel Lake and other lakes, a 1lb trout would be a jumbo trout. :albino: Wonder why there isn't any love for King County year round lakes. Hmm....