WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Stacie Kelsey
Commander

RE:WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:49 pm

ruthven78 wrote:Any idea on Horseshoe Lake in Spokane County? I havent been there in 3 years. I checked the regulations and it wasnt listed and when I went to the lake and the sign that used to be there stating where people could fish was gone.

There was obvious signs of people having been fishing there (garbage, fishing line, tackle, burnt wood) but I wasnt sure if this lake was still open or not or if was even still being stocked. I saw a couple tops but didnt stay.

The County Plat map shows the land where the public acccess has been as "vacant land - IESBERTS Trust. I am writing a letter to the plot owner to ask for permission to fish there just in case this is no longer public.
Okay it looks like there is now only access from the county road and this may be the last year it's going to get stocked because of the lack of access. There's a new developer/development going on.

So, for now, county road is your only option and not sure how long that will last.

You can always contact the Bio over in Spokane at 509-892-1001 to get more specifics about his future plans on the lake. Sorry it isn't better news!

stace
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:
ruthven78 wrote:Any idea on Horseshoe Lake in Spokane County? I havent been there in 3 years. I checked the regulations and it wasnt listed and when I went to the lake and the sign that used to be there stating where people could fish was gone.

There was obvious signs of people having been fishing there (garbage, fishing line, tackle, burnt wood) but I wasnt sure if this lake was still open or not or if was even still being stocked. I saw a couple tops but didnt stay.

The County Plat map shows the land where the public acccess has been as "vacant land - IESBERTS Trust. I am writing a letter to the plot owner to ask for permission to fish there just in case this is no longer public.
Okay it looks like there is now only access from the county road and this may be the last year it's going to get stocked because of the lack of access. There's a new developer/development going on.

So, for now, county road is your only option and not sure how long that will last.

You can always contact the Bio over in Spokane at 509-892-1001 to get more specifics about his future plans on the lake. Sorry it isn't better news!

stace
Actually the land around it is all private. There was once only a 30 foot shoreline access from Kitt Rd. There was a sign detailing the boundaries of this 30 foot of shoreline access. The sign is gone and looks to have been gone for awhile as there are no holes where the posts had been. But maybe it is still open? I think I will instead either get a boat trailer and hit jump off joe or take my son to the resorts at Joe, Loon, and Deer.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:
G-Man wrote:
I think I can answer this one. Crayfish are dealt with under the Shellfish/Seaweed section of the regulations. Harvesting crayfish is allowed in "all waters" and there is no restriction on the use of bait in these regulations. However, I would see a problem if one were using a baited hook to pull crayfish out of their lairs in C&R waters. Most of us have done this as kids, just lose the hook and tie the line directly to the bait.

This is what I was answering and what I spoke to enforcement about.
For what it is worth, I received feedback from enforcement in my area regarding the use of baited traps in selective gear waters, and this is what he had to say.

"As far as I know as long as your pots are in compliance you can use baited traps as crawfish are not a fish species. You would also not need to use knotless nets, again, because you are not after fish."

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:55 pm

I didn't ask our Enforcement about the pots just fishing which is not legal.
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:46 pm

mmmmhmmm....TY sir....my 'ol broke'n bk is jussst about feel'n good enough to do some fish'n..got a brand new super duper top secret proto type trap i'm want'n to toss in somewheres...DOG

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 pm

NEWS RELEASEWashington Department of Fish and Wildlife
July 7, 2011
Ron Warren, (360) 249-1201

Skokomish River salmon fishery opens in
August with similar regulations as last year

OLYMPIA – The recreational salmon fishery on the Skokomish River will get under way Aug. 1 downstream of the Highway 106 Bridge and Aug. 2 upstream of the bridge to the Highway 101 Bridge under regulations similar to last year.

State and tribal co-managers recently reached agreement on salmon fisheries in the river after several weeks of discussions, said Pat Pattillo, salmon policy coordinator for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

Earlier this year, the state and Skokomish Tribe were unable to reach agreement on the fisheries during the annual salmon season-setting process, known as North of Falcon. Instead, the co-managers agreed to continue negotiating.

“While it took us a little longer than usual, we reached agreement on fisheries that meet conservation objectives for wild salmon and still provide meaningful opportunities for anglers,” Pattillo said.

Like last year, the daily bag limit on the Skokomish will be two salmon for anglers fishing from the mouth of the river to the Highway 101 Bridge through Sept. 30. Anglers must carefully release any wild chinook salmon they catch. They also must release chum salmon through Oct. 15.

Anglers will be required to release any salmon not hooked inside the mouth and must retain the first two legal salmon they catch. In addition, single-point barbless hooks are required and a night closure and anti-snagging rule will be in effect.

Pattillo said the Skokomish River from the Highway 106 Bridge upstream to the Highway 101 Bridge will be closed to recreational fishing on designated Mondays and Tuesdays to avoid potential gear conflicts with treaty tribal fishers. Those closures are scheduled for Aug. 1, 8-9, 15-16, 22-23, 29-30 and Sept. 6.

Recreational fishing downstream of the Highway 106 Bridge will remain open seven days a week through the fishing season.

For more information, see the fishing rule change at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1066.
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Stacie,
I have a couple of questions about the 117,500 Triploids that have found there way into the Columbia.

When I first heard about this the facility that raised them said they had released them. If this is the case,
Who made this decision?
I would think this is a case of illeagle stocking.

Now the WDFW says they escaped.
So who is responsible?
If these fish may be a thret to the Salmon and Steelhead, why put a limit on them?

If we are going to use the Columbia as a hatchery' maybe we should raise a fertile
species that would help the fishery of the River insted of threting it.

Thanks for your time.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:22 pm

Hey Yellowbear - sorry for the delay in replying been swamped here. Here is the official news release on what happened. #-o Please let me know if you have further questions.

stace

July 29, 2011

Fishing for runaway triploid trout
to open below Chief Joseph Dam

OLYMPIA - A 17-mile stretch of the Columbia River between Bridgeport and Brewster, Washington, is about to become a hotspot for triploid trout fishing.

From Aug. 1-31, anglers will be allowed to catch and keep triploid rainbow trout in the mainstem Columbia River from the Highway 173 Bridge in Brewster to the Highway 17 Bridge in Bridgeport, under a new regulation issued by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

The target of the fishery is a large number of triploid trout that escaped from a net-pen facility on Rufus Woods Reservoir in June and have now passed downstream into the Wells pool area below Chief Joseph Dam, said Jeff Korth, a WDFW fish biologist.

Pacific Seafoods, which owns the net-pen facility, estimates that 117,500 triploids escaped in June through a breach in a net-pen. Many of those fish run 4 to 5 pounds apiece, Korth said.

"Anglers have been catching those fish in Rufus Woods Reservoir for the past couple of months, which is great," he said. "But we do have some concerns about the growing number of triploids turning up below Chief Joseph Dam, because they could interfere with juvenile steelhead downstream."

Korth said the triploids are "voracious" eaters and could pose a threat to juvenile steelhead, some of which are listed for protection under the federal Endangered Species Act.

Under the new rule, the daily limit will be four triploid rainbow trout, with a minimum size 12 inches. All steelhead must be released, and must not be completely removed from the water.

Most steelhead do not start arriving in the area until September, but Korth said anglers should be aware of the differences between a steelhead and a triploid rainbow trout.

Signs will be posted at all boat launches that list distinguishing features of the two types of fish. The fishery will be heavily monitored, Korth said.

"The differences are pretty obvious," he said. "Triploids are big and fat, while steelhead are long and skinny. But if there’s any doubt, anglers should release the fish back into the water."
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:52 pm

So that would tend to put the blaime on the facility?
What would the fine for something like that be?
As I recall there was another mass escape from those pens just a few years ago.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Good luck and be safe

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Couldnt find the ask stacy section. My wife has seen turtles at a lake that she goes to and really wants to try and net one. I told her to hold off on that thought till I see what the rules are on that. I never looked it up or wanted to. But I need to know now. She wants one and it will be on her mind till she gets it or is told she cant. Does anyone know if its legal and if so what licence she needs. Ty
More fish please!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Stacie my wife would like to catch a turtle from a local lake here. Im not sure about rules on turtles. Is it legal and if so what is proper way. What liscence is needed? Ty in advance.
More fish please!

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 pm

It is my understanding that if it is not a game animal then it is ileagle to remove from the wild.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Good luck and be safe

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Thank you but Im really looking for a difinitive answer on this one. Ive looked it up myself and have found things in other states but nothing for wa.
More fish please!

NWrookie
Petty Officer

Post by NWrookie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:39 am

I have been fishing the Puyallup in Sumner where the White river meets. We have been told by 2 different wardens 2 different borders. One stated the border was on a line from the end of the point on a 90 degree angle, the other stated we could not fish on the sandbar because it was the White river all the way down. Is there an official rule on where one river ends and another begins? Sorry, I am new here from Arizona, we did not have alot of these kinds of problems.
Member Lakewood Master Bassers
http://www.LakewoodMasterBassers.com
I always catch my limit, unfortunately most of the time my limit is 0.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Re: RE:WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 am

flinginpooh wrote:Stacie my wife would like to catch a turtle from a local lake here. Im not sure about rules on turtles. Is it legal and if so what is proper way. What liscence is needed? Ty in advance.
It is illegal to capture any wildlife. The only people allowed to have wildlife are rehabbers that are used to nurse sick/injured wildlife back to health.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

stace

YellowBear
Captain

Re: WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Post by YellowBear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:11 am

Glad to see you back Stacie.

I understand that the WDFW is doing there FWIN study at this time.
Normally they target 300 fish from each body of water in the study.
I hear this year they are targeting 700 out of Potholes.
Could we know why?

Thank you for your time.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:23 am

Hey Yellowbear -

I'm not familiar with the FW IN that you are talking about? Can you give me more specific info and I will get the answer.

Thanks!

stace

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks anyway Stacie.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 am

Good morning Stacie.
The Bio's in this State are working hard to help our Salmonid population recover.
They put Trout in shallow lakes that get to warm.
They kill off other species that may compete for food.
They kill off other species that may feed on the Salmonids.
All of our hatcheries are raising Salmonids except for one.
Millions of dollars are spent each year and we are nowhere near the numbers of fish in the rivers that once were.
The WDFW say's the Trout are the number one gamefish in Washington.

So, why are we spending funds on the hibrids?
Tiger Trout.
Cutbows.
Triploids.
I would think we would do better to raise and plant something that could spawn.
Rainbows.
Browns.
Brookies.
Cutthroat.
If the waters will not suport a spawning population of Trout, then why not try something else?

Thanks for your time.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 am

Hello Yellowbear -

I can only speak for what our Region does, but maybe I can give you some insight. It may be that other regions are looking at hybrids because they are more hearty - better fishing - better survival. I'm not really sure. In our region stocking of tiger trout, tiger musky have been used to help control stunted eastern brook populations in high lakes. That is what we have stocked them for anyway. They seem to be doing a very good job. We have naturally reproducing cutbows in only one lake that I am aware of down here (Coldwater).

I do agree with you on the triploid program. I have expressed my concern about it to upper management. Our hatcheries down here raise much nicer fish than anything that has come out of the contracted triploids so I don't understand why we continue to do it. Initially they were thought to bring in additional license buyers. That is not at all the case in the this region - maybe it is in others, but I seriously doubt it. I think that money should be going to our hatcheries to let them raise the fish. I know a lot of the hatcheries feel the same way. But then again, there may be some reason that I am just not aware of or picking up on that makes it a good thing.

We discontinued our catchable brook program due to budget issues but still stock fry in some of the high lakes. We have some excellent trout hatcheries in this region that raise extremely high quality fish: Vancouver, Mossyrock (didn't use to but is now REALLY in the game!) and Goldendale. We have a large majority of put and take fisheries. Put the fish in, they get taken out immediately. Many of those waters do not support spawning trout populations. We have a couple that do (Mineral comes to mind).

So it's important to have the trout stocking. The Agency does realize the importance of resident fisheries (both trout and warmwater) and have been working really hard on ways to develop those. I think you're going to see some pretty cool changes over the next few years.

As far as trout into shallow lakes - as I mentioned, in this area fish are removed so quickly that anything considered really shallow doesn't really affect them. We don't kill off any fish species - we have been able to do a rehab in this region for a couple of decades. But if we could pull it off, Mineral would be first on the list.

The public decided that lake should have warmwater fish, even though it was a very pristine trout water. We rehabbed it a couple of times in the 80s but anglers kept putting the warmwater fish back. The quality of those trout went down from what they were. There are really good reasons for doing rehabs.

There's a lot to look at when determining to swith the management objective of a body of water. Do you have specific bodies of water in mind?

stace