WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:01 am

Stacie, I have a question that I'm almost afraid to ask, but here goes.

I have an addiction to learning, and sometimes the State and INTERNET is just too far behind. LOL

I have a couple of lakes, Roosevelt is one of them, that I want to know what the species of minnows are that I keep seeing in fairly large numbers in the shallows. The only way I know how to do that is to capture them, photo them, and to measure them. Roosevelt is of interest to me because I hear that it is the "great dead sea" but I have seen 10s of thousands "minnows" in it the last few years.

Is it permissible to use minnow traps and or cast nets to capture, photo, measure, then when possible release minnows? Obviously game fish juveniles should be identified and returned to the water immediately.

Note, the collection is not for fishing, but for study. What, if any, rules apply to this?

Note, most states don't know what rules they have on this. In the late 80s Idaho gave me a "collection permit" to do this, but that seems like a lifetime ago.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:47 pm

One of the first things you can do is to contact the local biologist and find out if you can work in conjunction with them. It may be they would be willing to set up a study if they are interested in what you find at the lake as well.

We have people that go up into the high lakes to provide us data and it is very beneficial because we just can't get anywhere.

The second thing is getting a collection permit, but my understanding is they are very specific to who they give them out to. For a specific study or educational purposes.

I think the first option is your best. Call the bio, ask about the management of the lake, what work they are doing and find out how you can be of assistance since you have an interest in the lake.

If you have a hard time tracking someone down, let me know and I'll find out for you!
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:One of the first things you can do is to contact the local biologist and find out if you can work in conjunction with them. It may be they would be willing to set up a study if they are interested in what you find at the lake as well.

We have people that go up into the high lakes to provide us data and it is very beneficial because we just can't get anywhere.

The second thing is getting a collection permit, but my understanding is they are very specific to who they give them out to. For a specific study or educational purposes.

I think the first option is your best. Call the bio, ask about the management of the lake, what work they are doing and find out how you can be of assistance since you have an interest in the lake.

If you have a hard time tracking someone down, let me know and I'll find out for you!
Thanks, let me see if I can track down who would be in charge of Roosevelt. If you happen to know, then I'd sure be thankful.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Which county is it located in?
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Grant I think, or north of Grant. I'll look.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Looks like it does thru Douglass, Stevens, and Ferry, so it depends on where he wants to take samples as to the county.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:38 pm

map for Wash st that shows the outlines of the counties, and you can see the lake 'up there'.

http://geology.com/state-map/washington.shtml

map that shows the names of the counties;

http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/diabetes/imag ... c_map2.jpg

map of the river, Banks Lake juting down from the dam at Roosevelt, and Lake Roosevelt;

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Gif/Colu ... taries.gif

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:50 pm

I think that is in Region 2 then. The number is : (509) 754-4624. Ask for the Inland Fish Biologist that oversees Roosevelt. If they want to answer you question, just tell them you'd like to speak to him directly about management of the lake. If you can't connect, let me know and I'll see if I can find the specific person you need to talk with.

stace
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Anglinarcher - I just found out that you should be contacting Region 1 about your question. The number is: 509-892-1001. Let me know if you need further help!

Thanks!

stace
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Stacie, I was wondering if you have any information on whether Council Lake in Skamania County is open for fishing. I looked at the website for Gifford Pinchot National Forest and it is no longer listed in their lake section.
Thank You, Mike.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Council and Takhlakh have both been stocked recently and fishing is really good, but, the mosquitoes are worse than normal this year so be prepared! I've gotten a lot of people saying fishing has been really good.

Also for Goose Lake as well!
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey Stacie,

First I'd like to start off by saying thank you for donating your time by answering our endless questions.
Like most,I have all kinds of questions but I'll start slow instead of an entire list.

My question is in regards to Lake Tanwax (Pierce County)
I've been fishing here since I was a child,so approx. 25 years or so and it seems to be a great fishery with spiny rays and trout.
Its my opinion that this lake should/could be year round,granted,I'm not a biologist and I'm basing this off my fishing experiences. I ran this by WDFW bio Sharf(spelling?) a few years ago but the main topic was the status of Lake Kapowsin and we never finished up discussing Tanwax. I feel this would be a benefit to anglers and local business.
How would one submit a possible change to making Lake Tanwax or any other lake year round?
I'm guessing at some point this has crossed the mind of WDFW,which is in fact why some lakes are seasonal and others year round. Hope this makes sense as I'm typing half asleep.
Again,we really appreciate the time you've invested on here.

Kevin

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 am

Tanwax WAS year around. Then they changed it to sometimes year around for a couple/few years. Then closed during the winter for a couple/few years. Then open year around again for a couple/few years. Back and forth like that. I forget why.
Tom.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:31 am

I will tell you how anglers got one of our lakes open year round. They presented John (my boss) with a petition of about 250 names of people that wanted it year round and a nice detailed letter of why.

I'm not familiar with Tanawax but there are some reason they might be switching the seasons around. They could be protecting juvenile fish, or trying to take some of the pressure off the lake.

What I would recommend that you do is a write about your experience with the lake, what you have seen. Contact the your local bio and ask for another sit down and find out what can be done to open it back up to year round.

For our example we looked at everything and determined, yeah, there really isn't any reason this lake can't be year round. And then we looked a several other lakes in our area and made them year round as well.

If you have a couple people that feel the same way, get them together with you and all of you go to meet with the bio. I just did that a couple of days ago!

Best of luck and feel free to continue with your questions!
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Stacie you are amazing! I wish more WDFW ppl were like you that would address, online (what I think is the largest population) the general public.
I have learned so much from questions you have answered and this thread. My question is, when will shock testing/fish counting for current lakes in my area take place? Kitsap County.

And Amx, your pics end up like red x's

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:15 pm

The standard seasons are spring and fall. However, some Regions do more than that when they are looking for baseline data on whatever lakes they are working.

I had the opportunity to do some surveys on Long Lake in Kitsap County a few years ago which was a lot of fun!

I'll find out the answer for you on Wednesday - Monday is a holiday and Tuesday is a furlough.

And I won't be able to be here at all on Tuesday to answer any questions so I don't want anyone to think I am ignoring you!
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:46 am

fishnislife wrote:Stacie you are amazing! I wish more WDFW ppl were like you that would address, online (what I think is the largest population) the general public.
I have learned so much from questions you have answered and this thread. My question is, when will shock testing/fish counting for current lakes in my area take place? Kitsap County.

And Amx, your pics end up like red x's

fishnislife
The same pictures are in those links. Open each link in another window/browser and you'll be able to see the counties in one, the name of the counties in another, and some other county/lake/river thing in the other link. Then if your computer works like mine, refresh this page and all the pictures will show up. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:41 am

FYI everyone - if you email me or call my phone on Tuesday I cannot answer it or return emails or respond to any questions here. We have a furlough day and are not allowed to do any Department business.

But I will be able to return calls-emails and any questions on the board on Wednesday!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the opportunity to be here.

stace
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks for the help Stacie,much appreciated.
I'll see what I can generate on my end. I know many that would be interested...then again,might know a few home owners
that might not be so hip on the idea:clown:

Thanks again
Kevin

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:57 am

Stacie Kelsey wrote:Anglinarcher - I just found out that you should be contacting Region 1 about your question. The number is: 509-892-1001. Let me know if you need further help!

Thanks!

stace
Thanks Stacie, I took several days off and went hunting (archery deer and bear - got a nice bear with my bow).

The areas of interest to me are from the upper reaches of the river in the Kettle River drainage to the mouth of the Spokane River Arm. I'll give the Biologist a try and see what I can find out.

The Biologist is Bill Baker in the Colville Office. His extension is 23. I left a phone message and will wait for a call back.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.