WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:09 pm

In high school I had a pet white rat I named 'Moosie'. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 am

In response to money from access permits to fund maintenance and repair of access sites -

I found out that anglers get that decal along with the fishing license to the fees generated from the access decals are from non angling user groups and very little money is generated from that. And part of the reason why there is so little funding for our access guys. [sad]
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:10 pm

I have a small question from long winded me. When you chum a lake that chumming is allowed are there rules for types of chum I can use or is it all fair game. I watched one year at Mineral lake these guys dropped a punctured can of dogfood. They caught and caught like I've not seen in years. Would pet food be an ok chum?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Hello Stacie and thank you for being available to answer our questions. I think that overall I have a pretty good handle on interpreting the regulations. But I can’t quite wrap my arms around the crab gear/float/daily limit requirements. In our situation we may have 4 fishermen on the boat at a given time. As I understand the regulations with 4 licensed fishermen onboard we would be allowed 8 units of gear, up to 20 dungeness and up to 24 additional red rock crab. Our boat is less than 16’ so 8 crab traps, buoys and rope set-ups is not practical. I often run with only 2 maybe 4 units of gear. 1 set has my name and address permanently marked on the buoys. The other has my address (the operator) and I keep changing the name to who ever else is with me that day. I was told recently (no ticket issued) that we are only allowed 5 crabs (dungeness) per two units of gear per person not an overall 5 crabs per licensed fisherman. In other words if I had 4 fishermen on the boat but only 2 units of gear I was told that we would only be allowed to keep 10 crabs Please help me understand how to apply the buoy marking requirements and how that applies to the boat limit.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Rseas,

I can answer that question. There is no such thing as a "boat limit". As long as each person has their own individual buoy(s) and gear, you can retain one limit for each licensed person. See the excerpt from the current regs below:

Puget Sound: (Marine Area 4, east of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line, and in Marine Areas 5-13).
Shrimp: Two pots per person, and no more than 4 shrimp pots may be onboard or fished by any one boat at a time.
Crab: Two units of crab gear per person, and no limit on the number of units of crab gear per boat.
Coastal Waters: (Marine Areas 1-3 and in Marine Area 4, west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line). Two units of crab and/or shrimp gear per person. Exception: Columbia River - three units of crab gear per person.
Freshwater: Crawfish: Five units of gear per person.

I believe that the interpretation is a unit of crab gear includes the required red and white buoy complete with name and address of the person who will be using it. What I do, is have a person bring their own buoys and if they don't have any, a quick wipe with a rag dampened with acetone will remove the "permanent" ink that is on a few spare buoys that I bring along and have them put the required info on with a magic marker prior to use. In your case bring one pot per person and make sure each person has their own individual buoy. The stretch, even though it may be true, would be to say that you fished two pots, got two limits, switched buoys and fished for two more limits. That may or may not go over with enforcement.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm

racfish - I'll check tomorrow and get your information.

rseas - it looks like G Man got your answer - let me know if you had further questions after reading his reply.
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:48 pm

So, if the name is wiped off the bouy, and another name is writtin on it, how does the person who's name was wiped off, prove that he caught his crabs legaly if he has no bouy to proove his crabs were taken with 'HIS' pot?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:51 pm

AMX, I didn't mean to imply that I would wipe a bouy that was used that day and put on the name of another crabber. I believe I stated that I always carry a couple of extra buoys so that if need be we can have at least one available for every licensed crabber on the boat.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Ok.
Tom.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:44 pm

I think that carrying the extra crab buoys and a sharpie is an excellent idea. Thanks for the input!

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:34 am

Chumming -

First off, chumming isn't allowed in Mineral. The pamphlet will state specifically if chumming is allowed. In our area, Vancouver Lake you can chum. So make sure it specifically states, 'chumming permitted'.

As far as what you can use, the definitation states 'feed or other materials so attrach fish to a location'. So there are not any restrictions. I mostly hear of people using corn but I'm sure there are other alternatives out there. Dog food is an interesting choice! Not sure how well it would work but I've heard of stranger things (french fries :scratch: ).
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:13 pm

racfish wrote:I have a small question from long winded me. When you chum a lake that chumming is allowed are there rules for types of chum I can use or is it all fair game. I watched one year at Mineral lake these guys dropped a punctured can of dogfood. They caught and caught like I've not seen in years. Would pet food be an ok chum?
Stacie Kelsey wrote:Chumming -

First off, chumming isn't allowed in Mineral. The pamphlet will state specifically if chumming is allowed. In our area, Vancouver Lake you can chum. So make sure it specifically states, 'chumming permitted'.

As far as what you can use, the definitation states 'feed or other materials so attrach fish to a location'. So there are not any restrictions. I mostly hear of people using corn but I'm sure there are other alternatives out there. Dog food is an interesting choice! Not sure how well it would work but I've heard of stranger things (french fries :scratch: ).
As long of course as they were to retrieve the can when they were done, otherwise it would be littering[-x
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi Stacy,
I think this would go here?
(In a hurry before work, so I skimmed through)
What is really going on in the Seeps lakes in Grant County next year?
I have heard LOTS of rumors.
Hopefully you may know the answer?
Thanks!
Ryan
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:01 pm

I've been hearing a lot of things myself. I'll do some checking and reply back here.
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks alot!

And Sorry to bug you, but is the Silver Lake (Cowlitz County) algae bloom something to worry about?
From the sounds of it, its just one of those things to let run its course, give it time and whatnot.
But the side affects of coming into contact with it seem pretty gnarly for just coming into contact with an algae.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:11 am

I am part of the Silver Lake Watershed Advisory Committee. We are working on the water issues of the lake which include the cyanobacteria blooms - blue green algae. Blue green algae is actually sold in stores but when it gets to toxic levels it can definitely cause harms to humans and pets.

When there is a bloom the Department of Health will list and advisory. It will be something similar to what was recently issued at Vancouver Lake:

+++++++++++++++++++++
Tests for algae bloom show risks to swimmers at Vancouver Lake
Park to remain open; health officials say avoid water to prevent illness

Vancouver, WA – Clark County Public Health and Vancouver-Clark Parks and Recreation are advising the public to avoid direct contact with water at Vancouver Lake due to elevated levels of cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) revealed by routine testing. Because exposure to cyanobacteria can cause disease, public health officials are recommending:

• No swimming or wading
• No water contact for animals
• Precautions against contact with water while boating or fishing

“It is especially important to keep children out of the lake because they are more likely to swallow some of the water than adults,” said Dr. Alan Melnick, Clark County Health Officer. The health warning will remain in effect until tests show that cyanobacteria (blue-green algae levels) do not exceed World Health Organization guidelines.

Vancouver Lake Regional Park will remain open to the public. Water within the restrooms and shelters is unaffected by the lake water and remains safe to drink.

Clark County Public Health will continue to test the lake and will advise the public when water contact is considered safe again. Swimmers are encouraged to visit the Vancouver-Clark Parks & Recreation website at http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recreation/ for other swimming options.

About cyanobacteria (blue-green algae)
A blue-green algal bloom is a rapid and massive buildup that gives the water a scummy texture and a green color. It may also appear bluish, brownish or reddish green. A bloom may appear during warm weather, usually between May and October.

Warm, sunny weather and pollutants can cause algal blooms. Possible sources include phosphorus and nitrogen, found in fertilizers and in agricultural, human and animal waste.

Some algae may contain toxins that can lead to liver injury, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, the toxins can damage the nervous system and lead to muscle tremors, paralysis and respiratory distress. Skin irritations, allergic reactions, rashes and blisters also are possible. Symptoms may occur within minutes or appear hours or days later following exposure. If you have had contact with the water and experience any of these symptoms, you may wish to contact your health care provider. Because warm- blooded animals, such as cats, dogs and livestock are at risk from exposure, please keep pets out of the lake.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, I've talked with the DOH in lenght about anglers because I think if you have a ban for swimmers it should include anglers because they get their hands in the water as well. However, they have continued to indicate that it's not a problem but say, was the fish well after removing the internal organs and wash your hands well.

I think if you don't already, keep hand sanitizer on the boat and handy at all times.

stace
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Regarding Seep Lakes - are you asking about the proposed Rehab?

On our SEPA page there are two projects up for review. One is the Lake Management Plan and one is the Pre-Rehabiliation Plan. It's under:

- Canal Chain - Seep Lakes Wildlife Area - Lake Management Plan
- Canal Chain - Seep Lakes Wildlife Area - Pre-Rehabilitation Plan

Here is the link:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/sepa/sepa_ ... _docs.html

It looks like the comment deadline was actually on the 18th but if you had comments you may still be able to submit them through the website.

If this isn't what you were looking for, let me know.
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Seriously, thanks alot!
That answered my questions
Awesome to have you here!
Thanks,
Ryan

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Interesting reading - Thanks Stacie!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Glad to help!
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA