Lake Whatcom + Lake Samish

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
rseas
Commander

Re: Lake Whatcom + Lake Samish

Post by rseas » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Not to early to re-engerize this topic...

That said we visited the updated ramp at Samish today and it is beautiful with a handicapped boarding ramp and 30 paved parking spaces.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:43 am

Nice! I wonder how the trailer inspections will be set up this year? Hate to drive all the way to lake Whatcom in order to be inspected and then drive back down to Samish.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:23 am

Not sure, I think that I'm going to call tomorrow and try to find out whether or not they have figured out a Lake Samish permit/boat inspection management plan. With our limited time it would be a shame to throw the towel in on a kokanee lake so close to home.

Yesterday afternoon on the way home from Bellingham we did a drive-thru at the WDFW ramp and as already mentioned the facility is incredible. We were there just befor dark, got out of the truck to look at the lake and were greeted by hundreds of fish jumping in the waters just offshore from the ramp. I even dreamed about catching Lake Samish kokanee last night, I have it baaaad...

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 pm

I hear you there Rseas Ive been watching Kokanee videos on youtube and Im jonesing to get out there. SH 360 has some nice videos on there as well. Some of my old stomping holes in Idaho have some Ice fishing videos as well for Koks like Ririe lake. I saw they were working on the boat launch area but havent stopped by in some time. I looked into what other states have done and I think they would be smart to do boarder crossing check rather than at every lake/body of water. The problems seem to come from out of state/country. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to set up check points at county line crossings like at rest stops, weight stations and boarder crossings. On a lighter note I spent my day cleaning up fishing gear and tying up some lures for my Dad to use in Idaho. Cant wait to put some kok's in the cooler.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Unfortunately I can just see different counties all having their own rules and inspection stations. It could be a god-awful mess.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:20 pm

rseas wrote:Not sure, I think that I'm going to call tomorrow and try to find out whether or not they have figured out a Lake Samish permit/boat inspection management plan. With our limited time it would be a shame to throw the towel in on a kokanee lake so close to home.

Yesterday afternoon on the way home from Bellingham we did a drive-thru at the WDFW ramp and as already mentioned the facility is incredible. We were there just befor dark, got out of the truck to look at the lake and were greeted by hundreds of fish jumping in the waters just offshore from the ramp. I even dreamed about catching Lake Samish kokanee last night, I have it baaaad...
I was wondering if you made any phone calls on this yet? Very interested. I would have to agree Mike but by the sounds of it, it is going to be a big mess no matter what they do.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:38 am

a new parking lot sounds awesome, I have been dreaming of kokanee lately and cant wait to get out there

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Maybe they are planning to pay for it with weed money???

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 pm

DUPLICATE (oops)

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Did someone say... Kokanee.... With this wonderful Steelhead season I am dreaming of a Sunny, fish filled day in my t-shirt. I hope theey get this boat ramp crap figured out though. With how packed Stevens was last year Im going to exploring some new waters.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:19 am

Whatcom County politics has always amazed me. Wait until you have to go to Whatcom Lake before heading up to Silver lake.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 am

I do not mind the inspections and the issue is an important topic that can be handled with education. But paying $50 to fish in whatcum county is rediculous.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm

I didn't see it posted but is there an estimate as to how much this program is going to cost the city/county? How about an estimate on lost revenue? Just curious.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:50 pm

I received an e-mail last year from one of the city council members who stated that the inspection fee would be set to allow the inspection program to be self-sustaining.

There are a lot of problems with this program IMO. For one, the lack of clear need. Two, the lack of proof of effectiveness. Three, the problem of inspection stations for every lake (ultimately) in Whatcom, which I believe is the long-term plan.

Mostly of concern is, if this is a problem, it should be handled by the state and not from county to county. If every county in the state started their own program you wouldn't have any room on your trailer to put all the stickers you'd have to accumulate. And at $50 per county (to start, because we all know this fee will go ever higher to cover costs) no one is going to be able to afford to travel this state and explore all the great lakes we have to fish on.

Compare Whatcom county's approach (and cost) with that of the state-wide approach that Idaho takes:

http://www.agri.idaho.gov/Categories/En ... SF_FAQ.php

$10 for resident, $22 for non-resident, per year, covers the entire state.

Not to take away from Rseas excellent article, I just doubt I'll be fishing much in Whatcom county anymore, and I think the city and county powers that be are perfectly happy with that, JMO.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 pm

Im never buying anything in Whatcom couty again, done with those tree huggin crazies. I loved Samish for the kokes and now I will just have to stick with Cavanaugh and Stevens to get my fix.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:27 am

yes there are some excellent Skagit County lakes close by. It is a shame that Whatcom County does not get it. That was my home stomping ground for 10 years and I love Samish for the cutts and Silver was a very relaxing and productive fishery. Miss the area and my friends but they have taken away any reason for me to travel and spend my money to angle their waters. Wait till it starts hurting the smaller business's in Maple Falls and Glacier that depend on tourist trade year round.