What % per species?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
mallard83
Commodore

RE:What % per species?

Post by mallard83 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:20 pm

I think that it is B.S. that we can't use live bait also. I think the main worry for the state though is introducing unwanted species into a certain body of water. The regs should at least let us use certain species as bait as long as they are already present in that body of water. Just a thought.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:28 pm

Well, I think they have a point. Look at Pine Lake, with those Louisiana crawfish. They really have made a difference, I know because I fish there. And all those lakes overrun with stunted junk fish?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:40 pm

the1fishingpro: You could actually fish salmon or steelhead ALL year around no problem. You just gotta get outside of the box and realize that salmon isn't just a "fall" fishing time and steelhead isn't just winter and summer. You can find salmon or steelhead around here year aroudn
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:52 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:the1fishingpro: You could actually fish salmon or steelhead ALL year around no problem. You just gotta get outside of the box and realize that salmon isn't just a "fall" fishing time and steelhead isn't just winter and summer. You can find salmon or steelhead around here year aroudn

A lot of people don't realize this Sam. Even though we are living in a salmon and steelhead state. Don't get mad if you don't fish for these species. I was merely making a historically factual statement. It just seems that every time I support salmon and steelhead, I get beat up on the forum by other types of fisherman. It is really sad that I have to defend myself even before others can respond. So just to make things clear, I am not poking fun at any one.o:)

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:00 pm

Yep agreed Mallard. A lot of people unfortunately get intimidated with the difficulty with salmon fishing and only fish during the fall and late summer when the big push of salmon congregate in the sound and then push into the rivers. That's not to say that this is the only "good and productive" time to fish for salmon, because it isn't. With a little bit of effort, you could fish for salmon/steelhead all year around and get results from it.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:14 pm

iPodrodder wrote:Well, I think they have a point. Look at Pine Lake, with those Louisiana crawfish. They really have made a difference, I know because I fish there. And all those lakes overrun with stunted junk fish?
What kind of difference have the La. crawfish caused? Bigger bass? I'm not being a smart alec, I actually am curious.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:48 pm

I think they eliminate the food source for the native crawdads, and other bottom dwelling fish.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:26 pm

They do that too, and their living and feeding habits stir up phosphorus, which leads to more weeds, choking the lake in early summer and killing the oxygen in late fall when they all die off. Weeds I guess are good for the bass man, but this is primarily a trout lake (not trying to offend anyone) which gets heavy pressure from fishermen, and it needs all the fish possible to survive the winter. I have watched the weeds on the right side of the fishing pier year by year, and I have noticed them slowly thickening and reaching farther out. Pine isn't a sensational bass lake, but I guess the smallies could benefit from more of their favorite food.

Edit: THOSE THINGS ARE VICIOUS! I have seen MAJOR wars over one dead bass that was lying in the water. The natives all leave the fight (they have no chance), and the LA ones duke it out by themselves. I counted twenty in a space of roughly three square feet, which means there are many THOUSANDS in the lake.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:46 pm

Pine Lake is a better bass lake then Beaver, so more crawdads could help this.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Pine Lake is a better bass lake then Beaver, so more crawdads could help this.
I second that Sam, Pine is a much better bass lake. Lots of big largemouths and a decent amount of pretty respectable smallies too. Although I am no scientist so I don't know about the crawfish impact. It seems that it could help the smallies grow bigger though, but I don't know for sure.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Beaver is one of the most ovverrated bass lakes around. I know this will upset people, but from experience and what I've heard Pine Lake has much bigger fish, and the average bass is much bigger and there is a better population. I can't tell you how many dinks I get at Beaver, and Pine has a fishery with both largies and smallies (tough to beat) and some of the largies I've seen cruising along docks and the pads would push 6-7 lbs easily.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:09 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Pine Lake is a better bass lake then Beaver, so more crawdads could help this.
Really? I have had the worst luck at Pine, but land at least 5 bass everytime I go to Beaver lately. I had written Pine off completely... Darn it, now I have to go back and try it again.

I will however maintain my strike against Sammamish due to the a$$#@7<$ wakeboarder boats, at least until it is too cold for them to go out.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:15 pm

The best time it seems for Sammamish is early weekday mornings. I know it's tough for anyone who works, but those are the best times to be out there. I'd also say early spring when the water is still too cold to wakeboard in.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:26 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:
Really? I have had the worst luck at Pine, but land at least 5 bass everytime I go to Beaver lately. I had written Pine off completely... Darn it, now I have to go back and try it again.

I will however maintain my strike against Sammamish due to the a$$#@7<$ wakeboarder boats, at least until it is too cold for them to go out.
You may have had bad luck at Pine, but how big is the average bass you are catching at Beaver? There seems to be a lot of dinks in Beaver which are more willing to bite than the more exciting big one's. I fish both lakes a lot for bass and trout and for a better shot at a "big" bass, Pine is the better option.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:14 pm

I've never caught anything over 14 inches in terms of bass at Beaver. All dinks. I've seen bigger ones though.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:28 pm

My average bass @ Beaver is around 10-12" was just over 17". They may not all be big, but at least its fun. Another Beaver bonus is that I don't have to park so darn far away from the boat launch. It makes a difference when you fish until last light and the warden is tapping his foot waiting for you to leave.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:34 pm

Yea I do like how the launch is right there and in sight of the park as well. I am always scared no matter where I go about a busted window. Tough to be a fishermen these days with all the tweakers running around, especially at the rivers. Pine Lake is just so underfished now that you can't launch boats, only car toppers or inflatables. It's a great lake though, and with some figuring out, it seems to kick out much better bass.