Information on Lake Rufus Woods

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
mics
Petty Officer

RE:Information on Lake Rufus Woods

Post by mics » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:53 am

hi marc,by dry camping i mean there is nothing more than a space to park your motoerhome or camper or tent and thats all there is no power,but you bring a generator..there is a fire box which was a big tire rim and a picnic table at each site in oct when i was last there.the road getting in,is blacktop untill you turn off the road to enter what is called by the resz as ruffus woods .then its a dirt road for about 200yrds to the water and about 50 yards up alittle hill till you get to the camp grounds.i have taken my m/h there numerous times as it will not hurt it.34 ft bounder pusher.also have taken the camper ,set her on the groung and then back to seaton grove to put the boat in.but the bankies do just as well if not better than the boaters do as far as fishin for the tripoilds.its when you want walleye and burbot that a boat comes in handy.i dont know it all but have been a few times so if i can help feel free to ask,mic
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 am

mics wrote:hi marc,by dry camping i mean there is nothing more than a space to park your motoerhome or camper or tent and thats all there is no power,but you bring a generator..there is a fire box which was a big tire rim and a picnic table at each site in oct when i was last there.the road getting in,is blacktop untill you turn off the road to enter what is called by the resz as ruffus woods .then its a dirt road for about 200yrds to the water and about 50 yards up alittle hill till you get to the camp grounds.i have taken my m/h there numerous times as it will not hurt it.34 ft bounder pusher.also have taken the camper ,set her on the groung and then back to seaton grove to put the boat in.but the bankies do just as well if not better than the boaters do as far as fishin for the tripoilds.its when you want walleye and burbot that a boat comes in handy.i dont know it all but have been a few times so if i can help feel free to ask,mic
I Have heard about the burbot and walleye a few times, but it seems that they are taking 2nd place to the trout. I am more going for those big trips, but also want to keep my options availible. So any tips would be greatly appreciated. Walleye are my favorite eating fish and I love to fish for them, and burbot are on my list of fish to catch, so I wouldnt mind catching either. Once again, any info is greatly appreciated.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:05 am

Change in plans, brother calls and wants to know if I want to go fish Rufus this weekend DUH.
We will leave Fri morning, hope to be fishing by noon. Stay over Fri night and fish Sat.
Going to try out the black jigs I tied up so I can do c/r to take home some hawgs instead of the little 5#s
gpc- might see you there,I'll be the one with the white plywood pole holder.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 am

Just did a search to find out how much the fishing permits are. Seasonal permit expires in March.
$7.50 for 1 day permit and $18 for a 3 day permit.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:35 pm

northfork wrote:Change in plans, brother calls and wants to know if I want to go fish Rufus this weekend DUH.
We will leave Fri morning, hope to be fishing by noon. Stay over Fri night and fish Sat.
Going to try out the black jigs I tied up so I can do c/r to take home some hawgs instead of the little 5#s
gpc- might see you there,I'll be the one with the white plywood pole holder.
Ill be looking for ya. Ill be in a group of about 10, bank fishing. We drive 2 silverados (red and pewter) and an f 150 (white). If you see us come over, we will have a warm fire and a cooler full of beverages waiting for ya

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:38 am

Well guys I am waking up in 4 hours to load up the truck and then IM ON MY WAY TO RUFUS.Never been so excited to freeze my A$$ off, but the low is only supposed to be 26 F, not the 18 F I was planning on. Thanks again for all the info you guys gave me for the lake, you guys took care of all my questions. Talk to you all on monday.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:35 pm

If I had my way, the state would extend the limit to 5 of those triploids and let the general population go in there and wipe them out. I know that aint gonna happen. ive been there 3 times fishing for walleye and no matter what I use all I can seem to catch are those big fat ugly trips.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

mics
Petty Officer

Post by mics » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:07 pm

o but joe,when your done fishin for the days,sittin around the fire with one or 2 of them big oily trips wrapped in foil cookin,,sooo good
try to leave a place in better shape than when you got there