Sprague Lake results

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Sprague Lake results

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Seriously, what does one do with all those carp? Any economic value?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Deadeye
Petty Officer

Post by Deadeye » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:42 pm

hewesfisher wrote:
Deadeye wrote:If this affends anyone I am sorry. But Sprague Lake had a big problem.
No offense taken here, Deadeye, I had just about quit going to Sprague since the fishing was so erratic.

I'm curious about your setup, do you run that big fan off the generator? Do you use it for for propulsion?
My setup consists of a 24 HP Honda motor with a 42 inch Powerfin Prop. This is ran off its own gas tank and is strickly for getting really shallow, and over weeds, lily pads, etc. where you commonly find rough fish like carp located in. This fan will only push me 6 mph, I have it setup for low end torque to run the bottom of the boat right on the bottom of the lake and it will keep pushing me. This is a lot better than a troller as I don't have to clear weeds off the prop. Then I still have an outboard motor to get me across the lake.

Deadeye
Petty Officer

Post by Deadeye » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:54 pm

I have not found anything in Washington as far as economic value for the carp as of yet. Most of the time I try to find a local farmer or rancher to tile them in their fields for fertilizer. I am not sure if we can dispose of them by slitting the air bladder in Washington, I know it is legal in Montana and that is actually what the Fish and Game there suggests you do. It is really not that bad as far as water quality to sink them back to the bottom as you may think. Decomposed fish adds a lot of quality nutrition to young fry of fish and other organisms that are preyed upon by aquatic organisms or insects. It is pretty natural.

It is just like all the salmon runs in Alaska where all the salmon migrate up the streams and river to spawn...then die....then their dead carcasses are valuable to the aquatic ecosystem, terrestrial animals, birds, as well as plants on land from carcasses caried onto shore. This is done quite a bit and in high numbers with no bad consequences.

Now no one should EVER place dead carp on the shore surrounding any lake. That is very bad for the public to walk across, and it would smell really bad.

Back in the midwest I have given all the carp I shoot to hog farmers. Fish meal is very nutritious to pigs and they eat them all up and is a great way to help with feed costs. The farmers each year keep calling wanting more carp.

If anyone ever wants some or knows of anyone who does let me know and I will gladly get you some.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.