PAY ATTENTION! LIVES ARE AT RISK!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Re: PAY ATTENTION! LIVES ARE AT RISK!

Post by Bustinbeats » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

(hops up on recently vacated soap box)

Not sure what all the shouting is about, but this incident illustrates perfectly the reason why I avoid any event with the words "opening day" associated with it . You get a high concentration of once-a-year yahoos that have no business being near a boat, a boat launch... or any other boats on the water. The carnival-like atmosphere also tends to bring out the worst in these people as well, so you can often add aggressiveness and inconsiderate behavior onto their flaming ignorance and overall incompetence. Bad combination !!

I know some people enjoy the camaraderie and general enthusiasm for our sport that surrounds these big events like opening day, tournaments, etc. , and that is their prerogative . Have fun without me !

I spent "opening day" on a nice little private lake with one other angler on it (my fishin' buddy) , and we caught beautiful native cutts one after the other , and didn't have to dodge ANYTHING besides a passing rain shower.

Geez, I'm coming off as a bit anti-social here, ain't I ???? [biggrin]
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Bustin Beats Im with you on anything called opening day as well. Too many idiots out there not paying attention. Like SH360 I have a chead rod and reel with a small 3 0z cannonball just for these instances. LOL...

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

racfish wrote:Bustin Beats Im with you on anything called opening day as well. Too many idiots out there not paying attention. Like SH360 I have a chead rod and reel with a small 3 0z cannonball just for these instances. LOL...

If the lead doesnt work a warning shot from the XDS will do the trick [thumbup]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm

thread cleaned up.

Glad no one got hurt. Very scary when that happens, I've had it happen to me out on the Sound trolling salmon.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I would have jumped in his boat and clocked him. There's no excuse for that. You have tremendous patience.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 am

I have had very similar problems on crowded lakes and rivers. I haven’t done opening day the past few years because of the “challenged individuals”. The worst I have seen is on the Snohomish River on Pink Salmon years. I have had guys try to run me over in their larger boats…when they can see me. simular

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:49 am

Oh I was serious. My fishing buddy was holding my jacket so I wouldnt jump into their boat. He is the only reason the hulk didnt spider monkey onto their boat and start "smashing"

In my case it would be a Ruger or better the Wingmaster but I practice too much with those to intentionally miss... Besides with ammo prices I wouldnt want to waste a bullet on a warning shot.. I wont do it in my house and I wont do it on a lake..

After a day of cooling off I have decided that a flare gun is also a good idea... to alert people of my existance and to ping off of stupid boats who cant remember to look where they are going...

To change this around what does everyone else think they would have done in this situation? Be serious or funny I dont care just looking to lighten my spirits since every time I remember this I get mad all over again..

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 am

I didn't spend 4 years in the Navy just sitting there working on machinery, it's a great place to learn to cuss out the idiots out there. I practice that every day these days. THAT is one of the things I woulda done. Don't know if I'd have shot at or by them with either a weapon or flair gun, probably wouldn't have thought of it 'on the spot'.
Tom.

Interests: living

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 am

I have both a flare gun and hand held flares on board.Ya just neva know.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:49 am

I wouldn't brandish or fire a gun (flare or otherwise) in this situation. I think that'd make you a bigger danger than the boneheads that can't pay attention to where they're going. If I could think fast enough I'd pull out my fire extinguisher, it'd be worth replacing to unload the contents into some deserving idiots boat, it'd take days to clean it all out and let them relive their stupidity while doing so.

I too avoided opening day, not because I'm a better boater than anyone else (I do pay attention to where I'm going though), just didn't want the hassle of fighting through crowds.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 am

I agree on the opening day thing and the not brandishing a gun of any kind.. I really really like the fire extinguisher idea tho..
And if the navy has taught me anything its how many variations of the 4 letter words there really are.. And the use of them.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 am

I usually run out of breath before I can utter them all.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 am

So I guess nobody has suggested the obvious and the correct thing to do. Yeah I know, all the chest thumping is a lot more fun but really quiet unproductive. WN numbers, description of the boat and passengers if possible and a call to the local Sheriff's office. Calls like that are taken very seriously, it's akin to reckless driving and they will site them if you have witness's, in your boat is ok. I've seen them waiting at the boat ramp for violators. At most lakes they have pull out sometime.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:08 am

Paintball gun.. :-"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am

Go to jail....... :-"
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 am

Bodofish wrote:So I guess nobody has suggested the obvious and the correct thing to do. Yeah I know, all the chest thumping is a lot more fun but really quiet unproductive. WN numbers, description of the boat and passengers if possible and a call to the local Sheriff's office. Calls like that are taken very seriously, it's akin to reckless driving and they will site them if you have witness's, in your boat is ok. I've seen them waiting at the boat ramp for violators. At most lakes they have pull out sometime.......
You're correct on your recommendation Bodofish. After writing my post I got to thinking that there's probably ordinances/laws against discharging a fire extinguisher in the manner I recommended. Could end up in trouble yourself, would be appropriate retaliation and well deserved though in my opinion.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 am

No argument from me. The problem and the blame and who is at fault not to mention the infraction takes on a whole different spin when any sort of weapon comes out.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 am

Actually the real reason for the flare gun and hand held is for the Coast Guard law that says you have to have one on board. Same with a extinguisher and PFDs. I would never pull a gun at anytime unless I felt my life was in immediate danger.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Ok yeah going to the authorities has been established as the best course of action. I know that weapons and getting stupid can and will result in me getting into more trouble than the guy who almost sunk and/or injured/maimed me.

(shoves bustinbeats off soap box)

And to say that you would only use something if you felt your life was in imediate danger is a good description of what could have happened.. I was in a small 14ft alumicraft boat that is probably older than most of us here and had a 21ft or larger bayliner headed straight at my back half where my buddy and I were both laying down bottom fishing.. even with me standing in my boat the bow of his still came to eye level. He could have very easily rolled over my boat and myself putting myself into his prop. I felt as if my life was imediately threatened. A lot of ifs but still there was an imediate danger going on and I acted corectly to save my life and vessel. I would not change how it turned out since it happened quick and I reacted with what I had at hand. No one got hurt and only a few crude words were exchanged. This is not the wild west, gun fights are not cool anymore.

Again tho, nothing terrible happened even though it "could have". And after it all the situation is over and the only thing to be done is look back and learn from it. And saying "i would jump at him like a spider monkey" or "a brisk extinguisher blast to the face should sufice" are really good ways to laugh off the fact that some "special" people out there can and will threaten your safety and all you can do is laugh it off, learn from it, and move on.

so yeah, fun times.

(hops back off soap box)