Anderson Lake Water Quality

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Gamefisher
Petty Officer

Anderson Lake Water Quality

Post by Gamefisher » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Anderson Lake Jefferson County not looking good for opening day.
http://www.jeffersoncountypublichealth. ... ,0,0,1,0,0 Lake Water Quality
A bad day of fishing, is better then a good day at work !!!!!!!

jbball50
Commander

RE:Anderson Lake Water Quality

Post by jbball50 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Anderson Lake has been like that for 10 years, isn't going to get any better anytime soon. Sad stuff too, it used to have some nice sized trout in that lake.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Interesting info. Does anyone know if there are online reports from other counties on similar situation in other lakes? I realize that algae blooms are a natural part of mother nature. Of course these things can be worsened by lakes that have a funky PH or too much run off from man-made sources, fertilizer etc. It is interesting because Anderson lake I don't believe has any private property housing along it. (Maybe one or two) somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm

It's around wooded area, might be because of logging since the lake is around sea-level and has some higher leveled areas surrounding it. Haven't been up in that area forever, might be because of fertilizers and all that stuff though.

Gamefisher
Petty Officer

Post by Gamefisher » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:35 pm

No homes on it. Surrounded by a state park http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selected ... son%20Lake
Last planted May of 2007. The last year it was open.
A bad day of fishing, is better then a good day at work !!!!!!!

mallard433
Petty Officer

Post by mallard433 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:56 pm

this lake is been like this for 15 plus years. remember fishing it with my g pa. the reason for the lake condition is not so much polution but it is does not fulush it self and the airator broke around 1993 or so and the did nit replace it ever sence then the lake went down hill fast

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:59 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Interesting info. Does anyone know if there are online reports from other counties on similar situation in other lakes? I realize that algae blooms are a natural part of mother nature. Of course these things can be worsened by lakes that have a funky PH or too much run off from man-made sources, fertilizer etc. It is interesting because Anderson lake I don't believe has any private property housing along it. (Maybe one or two) somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
Quad, here is the King County link, but I don't think they cover algae.
King County Lake Monitoring

I know Snohomish County has something like this too.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks BentRod, that was interesting info.

Here is the Snohomish county report:

http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departme ... Update.htm
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

spillerdave
Angler

Post by spillerdave » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:17 pm

The Book "Washington's Best Lake Fly Fishing" states that the state park and lake were purchased from a ranch raising cattle during the late 1960's. I suspect that the cattle have added to the over all high nutriant level. Being a seap lake, one that water leaves mainly through the ground has added to the condition. The book also states that an aeration system was installed in the 1980's. Does anyone know if it is still operating?

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 pm

I looked it up and some report from 2008 said that they had tried aeration, not sure if it was in the 2000's with that system again, but it said it actually resulted in lower levels of DO, possibly from stirring up the bottom of the lake, where sediments contained more phosphorus and nitrogen. Then it goes on to say one of the treatments they've been thinking of is doing an Alum treatment.

http://www.jeffersoncountypublichealth. ... 81,0,0,1,0
About 3/4's of the way down on the page

that Alum treatment doesn't look too promising either, since there's probably a lot of external phosphorus contributing and a bunch of sediments on the bottom of the lake.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fh ... ochure.pdf