New to Washington

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Azguy
Angler

New to Washington

Post by Azguy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:57 pm

I am moving up to Washington from Arizona in the next couple months. Bass fishing here in Az is great. There is no lake here that you cant catch large mouth bass in on any given day throught the whole year.
All the lakes here are big and deep and FULL of bass.
Ive been researching about the lakes in Washington and it seems like they are all very small lakes and have "opening days"...wtf is that? Do all of the lake in Wa close for part of the year?
All the lakes here are out in the wilderness and you can launch any time of the year and pitch a tent and camp anywhere you want on any side of the lake.
Can you do this with most lakes in Wa? Or do most of them have houses everywhere?

I know Wa has a TON more lakes and rivers to chose from than AZ but I just hope that I can fish there year round and not have to deal with hundreds of people wherever I go.

Also all the fishing reports I read about for any lake in Wa just plain sucks compaired to the fishing reports here.
I hope when I get there that the fishing is alot better than what I have read.

mallard83
Commodore

RE:New to Washington

Post by mallard83 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Well all I have to say is prepare yourself, because Washington is the biggest tree hugging, granola munching, latte drinking state around. Not a lot of attention is paid to the true outdoorsmen in this state, so unless you are are a frisbee chucker with dread locks than don't expect very much help from our state government on issues that really matter. With that out of the way, yes there are a lot of lakes up here that are open year round including Lake Washington which is an excellent bass producer. If all you like to fish for is bass, then expect to take a break during the winter unless you enjoy fishing extremely extremely slow for you fish. If you broaden your horizons though Washington does offer amazing fishing for not only bass, but salmon, steelhead, trout, sturgeon, and lots of other various species of fish. You just have to learn the when and where up here. And also there are a lot of places to get away from the crowds here, you just have to be willing to make the drive depending on the area you are moving into.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:04 pm

There is definitely more lakes that stay open all year than there are lakes that close for a couple months out of the year. But when it comes to river fishing it can get hectic, certain stretches are closed certain times, different bait rules, night closures. And w/ the sound it gets pretty hectic as well. Are you strictly looking to catch bass? What part of the state are you moving to?

Azguy
Angler

Post by Azguy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks for the replies. Well Im not looking forward to being around all the sandle wearing tree huggers, but I am excited to be around all the green beautiful landscape and wildlife.
I will be moving around the Olympia area. Ive lived in Az pretty much my whole life so bass fishing is pretty much all ive done but Im really excited to try some salmon and big trout fishing.

I dont mind driving an hour or so to get away from the crowds as long as there are areas to go that arent crowded and that are big enough for a gas motor boat.

About the salmon fishing, are there areas through out the state to fish for them? Or is it only good in certain areas of the rivers?

Here in Az there is a limited amount of of lakes but most of them are only crowded on the weekends with people just hanging out and not fishing. During the week they are pretty much dead and great for fishing...Is this the same there?

dbaker
Petty Officer

Post by dbaker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:46 am

Oh and they forgot to mention that they are many places where you are not allowed to camp. Plus expect to pay a fee if you are camping. It will be a good drive for you, but you need to introduce yourself to Potholes. I would suggest you make a weekend of it. Have you ever tasted Walleye?

Azguy
Angler

Post by Azguy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:06 am

Never caught a walleye. How far is potholes from Olympia? What kind of boat can you launch there?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:10 am

Azguy wrote:Never caught a walleye. How far is potholes from Olympia? What kind of boat can you launch there?
Potholes is my favorite place. There is a reservoir and around 200 seep lakes all in the same area. It has all fish LM bass, Sm bass, walleye, Rainbow trout, brown trout, cutrhroat, steel head, crappie, bluegill, perch, catfish, bullhead, white fish, carp. The reservoir is HUGE 26,000 acres and can hold any type of boat. There is a rock dam that is a couple miles long for SM fishing, Sand dune after sand dune covered w/ willows for LM fishing, under water sand flats for walleye, you name it its there. There is another topic on this site, its the best bass lakes in WA state and is printed by ESPN, Potholes reservoir was #1. There is a resort on the lake as well Mar Don resort, it has a website worth checking out. From olympia, Im not sure how long it will take but it takes 2 hours 45 minutes from seattle and its in the central part of the state. The olympia area has a lot to offer to you, there are some great bass lakes and some great trout lakes, also it is close to the sound and there are some good rivers going through there. The actually city dosnt have much too offer but an hour drive in any direction and your set.

Azguy
Angler

Post by Azguy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:54 pm

gpc, that sounds awesome! By the way how is the weather there? I know it is always cloudy and it rains alot but that doesnt bother me. I just hate trying to fish in the wind like everyone else. Is it always windy?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:01 pm

Azguy wrote:gpc, that sounds awesome! By the way how is the weather there? I know it is always cloudy and it rains alot but that doesnt bother me. I just hate trying to fish in the wind like everyone else. Is it always windy?

The West side of the state and the East side of the state are completly different. The West side is completly green and rains A LOT, but the wind isn't a huge factor. The east side is almost all desert and only has 2 seasons. Its either hot or cold. I have camped in grant county (which is technically central, but more east) in march and it was 24 degrees and I have camped there in July when it hit 110 degrees, so get ready for the extremes. But this area gets VERY VERY windy, in fact its pretty known for its strong winds. But its either a wind storm or completly calm. It dosnt rain too much over on the east but when it rains it down pours.