Rufus access

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Rufus access

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Where is the closest launch to the pens comming from Omak Lake rd. or Columbia River rd. Any pointers for a new-be at Rufus? I'll be coming from Omak or Okanogan:rendeer:

Big D

RE:Rufus access

Post by Big D » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 am

The closest boat launch to you is the boat launch at the Bridgeport state park and the Corps of Engineers boat launch on the South shore behind Chief Jo dam. The closest boat launch to the net pens is the boat launch at Seaton's grove just outside of Grand Coulee Dam.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 am

Here are two maps showing the locations

http://washingtonlakes.com/LakeInfo.aspx?id=305&t=1
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 am

It all depends on how you want to travle. By water, bridgeport. But what I would do, (if the roads arnt too iced up) is save the gas/ hours on the motor and drive up to Seatons Grove. This launch can get VERY VERY busy, but there is plenty of parking places. There is however a smaller dinky launch right between the 2 sets of pens. Not used nearly as much, but maybe 1/50 the amount of trailer parking compared to Seatons. This is a rough launch though. I had no problem launching a 17' alum. here, but wouldnt touch the launch with my 18' fiberglass. I have heard good things about the corps launch, but have never needed to venture that far on Rufus.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:26 pm

There is also the unimproved boat launch right below the lower most pens, but I have never been there by road. While in that neck of the "water", have seen lots of boats launch there. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:04 pm

blufin loui wrote:There is also the unimproved boat launch right below the lower most pens, but I have never been there by road. While in that neck of the "water", have seen lots of boats launch there. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.
Just follow the road from Omak to Nespellem (sp), it will be on your right. From Coulee, turn left in Nespellem ( sp) it will be on your left. Keep yuor eyes open when the road gets close to the water. There is a sign. I'm not sure if you need a tribal permit to launch or not.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

daniesea
Petty Officer

Post by daniesea » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi, can anyone help me with shore fishing? Can we fish anywhere off of the Columbia River Rd? Also do we need like a special lic to fish there? And the limit is 2?? Thanks alot guys!

Big D

Post by Big D » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:48 am

daniesea wrote:Hi, can anyone help me with shore fishing? Can we fish anywhere off of the Columbia River Rd? Also do we need like a special lic to fish there? And the limit is 2?? Thanks alot guys!
If you are coming over from Seattle I would recommend that you spend your time fishing the shore of Rufus Woods just behind Chief Jo dam on the south shore. No tribal permit is required for this area. Fishing in this area will save you about an hour in drive time and there are lots of facilities in this area to help you stay warm and comfortable like rest rooms & fire pits. There are several designated areas on the reservation that you will be legal to fish from shore using only your Washington State fishing license one of which is the area at the second set of pens about six miles downriver from Nespelem. Make sure to check tribal permit requirements for the area you’re fishing in when you get there. I believe the designated areas are posted. If you have doubts about designated areas ether pick up a permit or don’t fish in that area. The limit for Rufus Woods is two trout. You can catch & release all day if you use barbless hooks and don’t use bait or scent of any kind. If you use bait or scent of any kind you are required to count the first two fish you catch towards your daily catch limit of two regardless of whether you release them or not.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

daniesea
Petty Officer

Post by daniesea » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Thankyou Big D for all the information! I wil try to make it out there. I'm just looking at fishing off the shore line, it sounds a little too dangerous to tow a boat over the pass now, with all the snow. Thanks again sir.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:12 pm

daniesea wrote:Hi, can anyone help me with shore fishing? Can we fish anywhere off of the Columbia River Rd? Also do we need like a special lic to fish there? And the limit is 2?? Thanks alot guys!
The State entered into a reciprocal agreement with the tribe to simplify the licensing. If you have a WA license you're good to go. There is shore fishing at both upper sets of pens and this time of year is KICK@$$. There is a lot of private property so keep your eyes peeled. Check out google maps to get a good idea of what you're looking for. Find the pens and mark the spots on the map. The lower pens can be seen from the road and there's lots of parking down by the river. The upper pens there is parking just up from the Tribal launch (It's the unimproved one.) and you have to walk into the river. I've seen some really big fish taken at both sites. Start at the dam and work your way down. On your first day, don't worry about being on the water at first light, drive when you can see.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

daniesea
Petty Officer

Post by daniesea » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:33 pm

Bodo, when you say start from the Dam, are you referring to Chief joseph Dam or Grand Coulee? I've looked on the maps and I can see that between the first pen(which is closest to Chief Jo dam) and the second dam, there is a small boat launch. I was going to try fishing there for starters and then go scout the river out. Thanks for the info!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Sorry from Grand Coulee. If you come from the other side it's a long drive from Omak.