thermocline???

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bigastrout
Commander

thermocline???

Post by bigastrout » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Can someone give me a clear description of the thermocline.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

JT26
Commander

RE:thermocline???

Post by JT26 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:03 pm

major change in water temperature and certain depths/levels in a lake.

Mblake
Petty Officer

Post by Mblake » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:42 am

I found this definition on one of my favorite sites.

Thermocline - The layer of water where the temperature changes at least one-half a degree per foot of depth. Basically, a layer of water where the rising warm and sinking cold water meet.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing_lur ... tml#def106

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:48 am

I know back in the south when we are crappie fishing you start out the beginning of the year fishing in deep water for crappie, but as the water gets hotter the fish will move up because where the rising warm and sinking cold water meet there is not enough oxygen being produced in the water which causes crappie and other fish I am sure to move up to the warmer water where all the vegitaion is growing and producing oxygen. That is just what I have always been told.

Jason
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:32 am

I took a oceangraphy class years ago in college, but the same principles apply in larger lakes. Shallow lakes in warm eastern washington may not have a thermocline due to lack of depth. Anyway the thermocline is the depth in which the surface warmed water and the cooled up welled water from the bottom meet. This is important to fishing because the water being upwelled from the bottom is colder and colder water holds more oxygen at the same time the warm surface water contains most algee, single cell plant and animal life the fish like to eat. So if you can pin point the depth where the temp falls you will find fish there.

The strongest thermocline around here are in Spring after turnover has occured we have had a few 70 degree days.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:45 am

There are 3 sections of the water. Upper, middle, and lower. The middle is the thermocline. During the summer this is key, at least for trout. The upper is too warm, the lower is colder obviously, but it is too cold for all the bait in the water, the single celled organisms or whatever, but the upper is to warm for the single celled organisms. So they all hang out in the thermocline, which in turn all the fish hang out in this water column. When you have a fish finder, its pretty easy to locate the thermocline, its just where all the fish are at. A few weeks ago I found it, at mineral. In 30' - 35' of water the thermocline was 19' - 23' down. But this can change almost daily, and in different water depths it will be different. The fishfinder I have tells the depth, then when a fish shows up it tells the depth of the fish, so it might be a little harder w/ a different fish finder.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:36 pm

Thank for all the info everyone.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't