Boatless in Spokane

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Mblake
Petty Officer

Boatless in Spokane

Post by Mblake » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:12 pm

I recently got back into fishing after about 18 years, have no boat, and little money. I need to find a close lake (like a 30 minute drive) from Spokane that is good for Shorefishing. Anyone know of a nice place that might have few people fewer boaters and great fishng from the shoreline or am I pretty much outta luck without a boat?

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Boatless in Spokane

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:38 pm

Shoreline fishing this time of the year when the temperature is heading towards 100 degrees is mostly fruitless. Many of the area lakes are relatively shallow along the shore. The fish this time of the year are down around 30-40 feet because the shallows are too warm.
A couple of lakes that have pretty good shoreline access when the water cools down are Fish Lake (near Cheney) and West Medical. Many of the area lakes around Spokane have so much private property on them, the only access is from a resort.
Post a want ad in the classifieds in the Forum for a cheap boat to buy. Someone may have an old Livingston out in the backyard they want to get rid of. Good luck.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mblake
Petty Officer

Post by Mblake » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:43 am

Thanks Marc, I'll check into it. I'm still reading up on the fish/climate habits. I won''t be a noob for too long hopefully.

The Floater
Petty Officer

Post by The Floater » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:07 am

Go to Fishtrap Lake in Cheney. Instead of fishing at the resort, hike on to the rocks just past the resort and fish there. If you want to be even more secluded keep hiking down. It is great trout fishing, and about a 20 minute drive from spokane. I think that is your best bet.
There are also a couple options at Sprague lake about 10 miles further. Drive down the left side of the lake, and there is an old boat launch that many people still fish from. Like the above said, it is very shallow, but I have seen plenty of guys take big cats from this shore. Fish it in the evening, even after dark for big cats.
Hope that helps some, and good luck.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:04 pm

fishtrap off of i-90, as well as, williams. both have been kicking out limits on trout. early early morning, or, 2 hours before dark. my dad fishes these regularly, right off the dock, but i tend to go down right side of lake half way down, you seem to catch more carryovers there and at the other end of the lake. pwer nuggets! good luck!!

kantill
Warrant Officer

Post by kantill » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:07 pm

You can also check out http://spokane.craigslist.org/ for cheap boats.
Need tech support? I can Help!
http://www.crossloop.com/KellyAntill

Rob1
Petty Officer

Post by Rob1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:16 pm

Ok, I have a friend that fishes from the shore on the river in Spokane. I have yet to try it but he tells me that after the water level drops it's a good place to catch nice size trout on the down stream side of the rocks there. I was thinking about going there tommorrow after work to try it out. It's over by the AVISTA Bldg. Give a post here if ya wanna go. I'll E-mail ya

Tight Lines
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mblake
Petty Officer

Post by Mblake » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:29 am

Thanks for all of the tips guys.

1. Am planning to try out West Medical or Fishtrap Lake after I drop off my girlfriend at work for some afternoon fishing.

2. I wanted to try fishing the Spokane River but didn't know if it was legal in the city limits, I would love to give it a shot sometime.

3. I did try craigslist for boats but I am living on SSI income which barely gets me through the month, so the cheap ones in there still aren't that cheap to me. Plus I would need a trailer and my girlfriends car needs a hitch so I'll be looking at the inflateables. I'll figure something out, I'm determined to get on the lake somehow.

I just want to say that it's really great to join a group like this and have so many helpful people respond. I'm used to video game forums where the people are rude and anything but helpful. It's gonna be nice to get out there and fish instead of sittin on my butt watchin tv and waiting to pick up my girlfriend from work. Well I'm off for now, GOOD LUCK:cheers:

kantill
Warrant Officer

Post by kantill » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:09 am

If you want to try an inflatable boat try white elephant I got one for small lakes that works great for about $80-$90, they come with everything to get started. As for shore fishing I have done alot on fish lake with good luck.
Need tech support? I can Help!
http://www.crossloop.com/KellyAntill