the Potholes

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
trout magnet
Petty Officer

the Potholes

Post by trout magnet » Tue May 01, 2007 7:27 pm

Where's the best spots for walleye and crappie?

gpc
Admiral

RE:the Potholes

Post by gpc » Tue May 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Potholes res. is my favorite lake in the whole state and my 2 favorite fish are crappie and walleye. The best places for walleye are Lind coulie wasteway, off Goose Island, and the sand dunes, right off the big dune. Back in the dunes is probally the best spot but if you dont know the area it is really easy to get lost or later in the year to bottom out and get you boat stuck for a couple hours. Other good areas are medicare beach and in front of the state park also soda lake and long lake back in the CNWR. As for the crappie my favorite way is to wait until early july and go to the dock at Mar Don resort and work the docks with a 1/64 oz. mini jig tipped with magot you can catch around 50 a day off the dockand about a dozen or so will meet the 9" min. size. But another way to do it is head over to the dunes and flip jigs until you come to a school it takes a little more guess work but it could pay off more

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed May 02, 2007 9:57 am

Most of the Crappie that are in Potholes are small,there are a few of the big ones but not many.
The Walleyes on the other hand are in good shape and can be found just about everywhere.
The locations stated above are all good.
Worm harnes's with a Leech or Crawler seem to be the choice of most Anglers but a jig and crawler or Jig and Leech does very well.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed May 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Your right yellowbear most of the crappie here are small but there is some big ones down there as well. What Ive found works the best is to fish from midnight till 7am with a light. I have one of those green L.E.D. lights that you hook up to a battery and put in the water and it makes a HUGE diffrence. It kind of sucks lugging the batery around but hey thats what friends are for. LOL. The light wasnt all that expensive either and I dont leave home with out it:-$