Rufus Woods "fisherman" loses boat for overlimit.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
wolverine
Captain

Rufus Woods "fisherman" loses boat for overlimit.

Post by wolverine » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:41 pm

ABOUT TIME!!!! Hopefully this message gets out to the fish hogs.

December 12, 2008

Over-the-limit Rufus Woods
fisherman forfeits boat

OLYMPIA - A Rufus Woods Lake fisherman cited earlier this year for too many fish in his daily catch recently forfeited his boat and other equipment to the state.

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) officers cited Pedro Martinez, 46, of Moses Lake on two counts July 26 at Rufus Woods Lake on the Okanogan-Douglas county line in north central Washington. Martinez was cited for possessing 13 rainbow trout-11 over the legal daily catch limit of two-and for failing to display his catch for inspection to officers when requested.

The criminal violations cost Martinez a $250 fine and the loss of his boat, boat motor, boat trailer, cooler, and fishing rod and reel.

A Washington state hearings officer recently finalized the forfeiture of the equipment, valued at an estimated $2,500.

"This case is a good example of how a fish and wildlife violation can end up costing much more than a standard fine," said WDFW Sgt. Jim Brown of Okanogan. "Loss of equipment for serious intentional violations is a strong deterrent to others."

Brown credits other arrests to concerned anglers who are reporting violations they see by cell phone to WDFW’s poaching hotline (877-933-9847) and then testifying to their observations.
Life's short - fish hard!

nineeleven
Angler

RE:Rufus Woods "fisherman" loses boat for overlimit.

Post by nineeleven » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:47 pm

=d> =d> Good job DFW!
Spend some time in a Communist country and you will appreciate the US of A a whole lot more.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:56 pm

[quote="nineeleven"]=d&gt]
I hate to be happy at someone's misfortune. But this guy got what he deserved. Hopefully, it'll be a while before he considers poaching again.

Malottguy
Petty Officer

Post by Malottguy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Imagine all the fish he has caught in the past and not been nailed for. He will be back I am sure. But for now hope he stays in Moses Lake.

No_Bad_Skunks
Petty Officer

Post by No_Bad_Skunks » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:03 pm

:-({|= To this guy. How much would you be willing to be that he was fishing with bait too?

This really goes beyond the pale, as far as I'm concerned. 13 fish is way over the limit on ANY Lake, much less one with a two fish max.

And my guess is also that the limit rules are VERY prominently posted at various locations around Rufus Woods, yes?

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:07 pm

Wow, and this is just one guy. Imagine how much more are out there.

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:28 pm

it really is too bad that we have people like this in our world that abuse what is a priviledge and not a right!!!! more people like this one need to be caught and have the same punishment!!!!
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:44 pm

Justice served! I love it.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:13 pm

No_Bad_Skunks wrote::-({|= To this guy. How much would you be willing to be that he was fishing with bait too?

This really goes beyond the pale, as far as I'm concerned. 13 fish is way over the limit on ANY Lake, much less one with a two fish max.

And my guess is also that the limit rules are VERY prominently posted at various locations around Rufus Woods, yes?
"And my guess is also that the limit rules are VERY prominently posted at various locations around Rufus Woods, yes?"

YES, in multiple languages, in multiple locations.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Fish On!
Petty Officer

Post by Fish On! » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:22 am

This is just one example when there are dozens of people everyday over fishing RW. There hasn't been a time I've fished when I haven't seen at least 4-5 people violating the law. I've heard of 52 fish in possession, 47, 67, 102. I watched 10-15 people at the pens catch dozens of fish with bait and continue to throw them back. This guy has probably caught 100's of fish over his limit and deserved what he got. It wasn't enough IMHO.

Almost every boat I've seen trolling are breaking one rule or other. The majority are using bait and releasing fish caught all day long. You can't fish for hours out there and not catch 20-30 fish in a day.

I really don't have a problem with fishing with bait as long as they release the lip caught fish and don't drag them overboard or net them. If they aren't fishing barbless and bring the fish on the boat they should be required to count that fish in their limit. Time after time I see people dragging fish up on shore or into a boat.

I'm sick to death of the gazillion rules we have now, so I hope WDFW doesn't go nuts on us and enact a bunch of new rules on RW. May as well rape and pillage the resource while you can. :-({|= It's the hot ticket in our state and by far the most productive fishery we have......:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Abuse it ....Loose it!

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:41 pm

No_Bad_Skunks wrote::-({|= To this guy. How much would you be willing to be that he was fishing with bait too?

That doesn't matter anyway - the angler is required to know the regs for the body of water they are fishing. This guy is a poacher, plain and simple.

"Off with his head!" to paraphrase Alice in Wonderland...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Fish On! wrote:
Almost every boat I've seen trolling are breaking one rule or other.
I'm glad the dude got his stuff taken from him. That makes me happy to see karma come around and kick the dude in the rear and in his pocket book...

What pisses me off is that poaching and blatant disregard for the rules and reg's is occurring ALL over the state and all we have is one article/instance lately of someone getting in trouble for it...
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:27 pm

A copy of that article and a picture of him crying next to the WDFW tow truck should be posted at every boat ramp in the state. What a jack@ss.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Nice! Finally our tax money goes to work like it's supposed to.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RainbowHunter
Petty Officer

Post by RainbowHunter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Im glad to see that at least one of the bad ones got caught.

As far as wether he was using bait is beside the point because anyone who uses bait and catches more than the limit (even if they only keep thier limit is guilty) because the law is clear if you use bait even if you release it, it is supposed to be counted as part of your limit.
If it aint broke, You aint trying hard enough!

http://countvladamier.spaces.live.com

havnfun
Angler

Post by havnfun » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:54 am

boat and truck worth 2,500$ not much of a boat or truck.not to say what he did is anything near close to being allowed but he was problabley feeding his family.i have seen the natives over there jig the fish up using big treble hook with lead around it, they would snag them some made it to the boat other left with a big cut in them.nither one is right as far as I'am concernd but one is allowed and the other is notboth guys maybe just tring to get some dinner.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:30 pm

havnfun wrote:boat and truck worth 2,500$ not much of a boat or truck.not to say what he did is anything near close to being allowed but he was problabley feeding his family.i have seen the natives over there jig the fish up using big treble hook with lead around it, they would snag them some made it to the boat other left with a big cut in them.nither one is right as far as I'am concernd but one is allowed and the other is notboth guys maybe just tring to get some dinner.

I think "Feast" is the correct word for that. The limit is enough meat for dinner (provided they are bigger than minnows). 11, that's enough for a "village"

Carl762
Petty Officer

Post by Carl762 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:19 am

boat and truck worth 2,500$ not much of a boat or truck.not to say what he did is anything near close to being allowed but he was problabley feeding his family.i have seen the natives over there jig the fish up using big treble hook with lead around it, they would snag them some made it to the boat other left with a big cut in them.nither one is right as far as I'am concernd but one is allowed and the other is notboth guys maybe just tring to get some dinner.
Sure he was trying to feed his family. When I'm fishing, I'm attempting to feed my family. Some of these clowns think we owe them more, fishing lakes to death, many times at night. He should be deported.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He's subject to the same rules I am. My little human powered boat is only worth a couple grand, my fishing vehicle, not much more than that.
I'm a little guy too, not a lot of money, but/and I will play by the rules. It's called ethics.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:36 am

traveling that far from an area (moses lake)that has more areas to catch fish to "feed the family" does not hold water. if you go to the trouble to have a boat and spend the money for the trip you can be almost certain that he knew what he was doing and what the law was. as for the people you see violating the rules a cell phone works great "more than a few have them". the call will give you some peace of mind that you did do something even if nothing was done at that time.