Help with Lake Stevens please

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
smoked1
Petty Officer

Help with Lake Stevens please

Post by smoked1 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:13 pm

I just moved to Lake Stevens and I want to learn how to fish since the lake is so close. I got myself a fishing pole, a couple of lures, and some bait. Here is the big question. Where on Lake Stevens can I fish from without having a boat? I drove around the lake for quite a while and could not find a place. Also, any other tips or links would be great because I have no clue what I am doing.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Help with Lake Stevens please

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:52 pm

smoked1 wrote:I just moved to Lake Stevens and I want to learn how to fish since the lake is so close. I got myself a fishing pole, a couple of lures, and some bait. Here is the big question. Where on Lake Stevens can I fish from without having a boat? I drove around the lake for quite a while and could not find a place. Also, any other tips or links would be great because I have no clue what I am doing.
Welcome! I know the public boat launch on the SW side of the lake has a fishing pier, I don't know of any other spots. From that pier depending on your target dictates the gear. Trout - powerbait under bobber or slip weight I guess. Or, cast small spinners, hardware. Also - a clear bobber to cast a streamer-type nymph and slow retrive. All kinds of options for those trout!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Send a PM to Hillbilly Geek...... i.e. Geekus Maximus. I think that he is a Lake Stevens regular.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:06 pm

The Snohomish county park is on Davis street. There is a great fishing pier there, and we saw a lot of trout come in from there. A little know secret is that there is a school of perch and bluegills that hang out on the other side of the boat launch. Just cast out anything shiny with a worm tipped hook and the perch are good to go.

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:42 pm

In addition to the Davies Beach park all ready mentioned (by the way it is more or less directly east of Froniter village) there is a second smaller public fishing pier on the East shoreline (East and north of the other park). If you are heading south along the east shore line from the town of Lake Stevens the second pier is at the north end of the stretch of road that runs directly along the east shoreline - not too far north of where the house sits over the water if that helps.

Trout and perch can be caught from both docks and I have caught some pretty nice smallmouth under both.

Tight lines
Curt

smoked1
Petty Officer

Post by smoked1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks guys. It looks like it's going to clear up this weekend so I'll be going out Saturday. Now I just have to learn how to catch and cook fish. :)

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Check out the reports for the lake too, there's a ton of info there as people will usually say what they used in their reports. Floating worms up off the bottom is a great way to get big trout. Check the main (home page) for the site, there's links to ball & crawl along with the worm inflating setup. I grew up in/on Lake Stevens and nothing beats persistance there as it can be tough even for those who fish it a lot. Then there are days when you can't keep them off your hook.

also, at Davies Beach, if you park across the street (only place to if you drive), it costs five bucks (last time I was there) as it's not covered by your parking permit. the access near downtown Lake Stevens (by Jays Market, library, etc.) is covered by the permit and free, and then Sunset Beach (the one with the real steep steps and grass is free parking, no permit required) but much less space to fish.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:01 pm

2 words bober and borms 5 feet down. my friends and i slay the trout on worms more than power bait
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

smoked1
Petty Officer

Post by smoked1 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks guys. I was finally able to get a few hours of fishing in today. I tried two Repella Originals and some Salmon Eggs and didn't catch a thing. My reel had some casting issues and it almost felt like the lures were too light for it, or maybe I bought the wrong stuff. This is what I got: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/873872708.html.

I took the reel apart and cleaned it real good inside and out but I think I need to lubricate it somehow. Is this rod and reel ok for lake fishing? What do I use to lubricate the reel? I met a really cool guy that said that I should try power bait. He said that he was catching some good sized trout with it so next time I'll try that.

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:56 am

It's possible that you're using line that is too heavy; that along with small/light lures isn't a good combo. I would be using six pound test max, but four pound is even better, but you need to be more careful with that line.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

smoked1
Petty Officer

Post by smoked1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:29 pm

[quote="VooDuuChild"]It's possible that you're using line that is too heavy]

Thanks, I'll pick up some 4 and 6 pound this week after I get paid. Maybe I'll pick up a few other things that catch my eye as well. Who am I kidding? Every time I go in that damn place I end up spending three times what I should. Now I just need a boat...