The "C" Word...carp

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
beerman1981
Commander

RE:The "C" Word...carp

Post by beerman1981 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:46 pm

My dad and I used to catch some lunker carp in Billy Clapp Lake out of Ephrata, and the trick was nightcrawlers. They hit like a freight train and fight like a bass amazingly. They are a good time, until you have to handle them to take the hook out, yuck.

Beerman
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 am

Chum them with corn, and put corn on the hooks, works every time. Also can use a worm as well with corn.

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:13 am

It's illegal to Chum in washington state if I understand the rules correctly.

crappie007
Warrant Officer

Post by crappie007 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Proverb wrote:It's illegal to Chum in washington state if I understand the rules correctly.
Not all are illegal.
Chapman lake (spokane Co.) All Species- chumming permitted.
Source: sport fishing rules 2008/2009 pamphlet edition.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Proverb wrote:It's illegal to Chum in washington state if I understand the rules correctly.
Anything to deplete their population works. :-"

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Carp can be caught on nearly anything but are very tough to fish for at same time. I saw guys at Mardon throwing corn off dock, feeding carp. Then putting it on hooks and catching big ones. There are some 40lbs for sure there. Late night when lights are on, they are attracted to top water. Good luck
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:20 pm

I use Corn or Maggots as well. And I found it was easier to leave the bail open as well. If they feel any pressure they will let the bait fall out of there mouth. They chew at the back of there throats and really do have that sweet tooth. In England where I learned they use bait cups that have small holes in them. fill up with Maggots and cast out....the cups count as wieght till empty and then there free floating... easy way to chum right at your hook site and can cast a mile. They use 10 foot poles too...

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:42 pm

The only time that I have ever fished carp was a few years ago in one of the unnamed ponds in the seeps lakes area south of Potholes. My brother and I were trying for bass when I hooked something that started ripping line like crazy (I was using a crank bait) and I got it close enough to see before it threw the hook and it was a carp of about 15# or so. After seeing how well this fish fought we switched gears and took off the bass stuff and put on a sinker and a whole nightcrawler. Not more than 2 mins. go by and we started hooking carp after carp, and the fish ranged in size from about 2-10 lbs. We had a great time but unfourtunatley havn't targeted carp since. I can't wait to go again. I won't be able to make it out this summer but I am for sure planning a trip to Potholes next year, if for nothing else than the carp.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Many lakes chumming is legal, just go the link for the regs. I'm pretty sure that it is Kokanee that I remember chumming being legal in certain lakes for, but it can be specific as to what species.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

joshswrench
Petty Officer

Post by joshswrench » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:54 pm

All you need for carp:
3 Things:
1 yellow cap ultima truck battery
1 set of jumper cables
1 bug zapper

Simply hook the jumper cables up to the battery, hook the other end to bug zapper and cast! BINGO! Carp!
Tight lines, JG

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 pm

I was fishing for bluegills at Soda lake years ago, using a waxworm on a size 12 hook. My bobber didn't entirely go under, but the way my bobber was dinkin' around I just thought it was a small fish...After several misses, I finally hooked into something. Initially I thought it was a big trout or maybe even a walleye..I had no idea what is was..I even drew a small crowd....I swear the fight had to last over 20 minutes and using 4 pound test, my skills as a fisherman was being tested...Finally, I got it to shore I can still remember how my forearm and wrist burned..... I ended up selling it to some asian guy for 10 bucks.. man, they can fight!! I am heading to Soda next week and hope my son gets into one.
"One more......."

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Opening up the vault on this one.

I had given up on the carp for awhile but finally gave it another go at Silver Lake.
Very good fighting fish I must say and I will certainly add these guys to my fish list.
Not giving up on bass and ski's......not even close. But carp get a bad wrap but they are
brutes and can easily take a 30yard run,very impressive.

My secret bait...... Burger King french fry

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:58 pm

I saw Johns son haul in a 17 pounder early August '09. It was fun to watch the crowd grow the longer he fought it. Had half a dozen kids trying to help him out.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 pm

A buddy and I used to fish for them in the golf course ponds in Kennewick (probably don't let you do that anymore) next to his house. Some were just really big Koi, bright orange and between 5-15lbs. It was a great pass time for us. Since the ponds were private, we'd just C&R until we got bored.
The carp were also thick in the Yakima River by West Richland. They'd suck stuff off the surface in the shallows, so we'd throw sticks, berries, and whatnot out on the water to see what we could fool them into sucking down.....they were not very picky. One of the best fights I had bass fishing was tailhooking a 15 lb carp with a jighead. Thought I had a monster smallie. Great fight, but I was disappointed.
Not too long ago my younger cousin said that he and friends would go target carp with their flygear just for the fun of landing them with a flyrod. They apparently have a lot of time on their hands....sigh.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Carp on a flyrod eh,...that could be fun.
I originally had a carp hooked on a bass rod. He fought hard and it took awhile but got him near the shore....then he did
a 30 yard dash and the line snapped. The next morning I rigged my brand new BPS/Pete Maina Musky Rod
and caught one. It wasn't even close to the biggest out of the group that I was seeing but it certainly gave
a respectable fight. Heres my report....well probably more story than report.
http://washingtonlakes.com/ReportCommen ... id=271&t=1

Sorry if this makes you fall asleep but it was a great trip and wanted to share my report.......story#-o

Big D

Post by Big D » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 am

I never actually targeted carp until I was turned on to bow fishing for them a couple of years ago by a friend of mine.
Now, I just can't get enough of the sport. We usually head to the mouth of the Okanogan River once or twice a month during the summer and a hundred carp in a day is not unheard of.
On a side note...My wife hates when I go "Carp shooting" because she can't get the blood out of my clothes come laundry day. After a good day of Carp shooting you can expect to return home looking like you held the staring role in the movie Carrie.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

lonnie197272
Warrant Officer

Post by lonnie197272 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:31 am

Another method that works well at least on Moses Lake, is to fish either right before dark and or right at sun up. Instead of fishing the dough balls on the bottom or even under a bobber find where they are feeding on the surface. slap a small amount of wheat bread (because it is sweeter than white) on a small hook with no weight. Cast it out as far as you can where they are feeding. Let it just float on the surface. The cool part is that you can see them targeting the bait. But again patience is key.

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Big D wrote:
On a side note...My wife hates when I go "Carp shooting" because she can't get the blood out of my clothes come laundry day.
Get a spray bottle and fill it with hydrogen peroxide. Give bottle to the wife and tell her to spray the blood areas with it before she washes the cloths, duck from flying spray bottle, pick up spray bottle and spray clothes yourself. Bingo, no more blood.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:24 pm

some of you really should try smoking them (in a smoker). :-" they have a good mild taste and are sold as such in most markets back east. I plan on trying some soup/grill/smoking rescipes this year for them:chef: .

jtrapier
Petty Officer

Post by jtrapier » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 am

I have fished for them MANY times, including @ Bradley Lake and have used the corn method like everyone else said, but also dough works GREAT! Not just some old mushy bread, but go buy one of the cheapo cans of biscuit dough ( the ones that "pop" open when you peel them back) then twist it onto your hook. Line weight doesn't really matter in my experience because carp normally stir up quite a bit of mud. Cast out a good 10 ft or so past them, then reel in till you're in the middle of the group. Works every time.