Tide Calculator?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
garret1990
Petty Officer

Tide Calculator?

Post by garret1990 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:42 pm

What is the tide calculator and what does it mean to fishing?

Drewp
Commander

RE:Tide Calculator?

Post by Drewp » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:35 pm

It tells you how much detergent is in the water at any given time. Depending on the phase of the moon, washing machine liquid drains out further into bodies of water and moves the Tide detergent around to different areas. These areas are not good for fishing, because fish don't like detergent.

I heard they do like dryer sheets though, but I still haven't been able to find a dryer sheet caluclator anywhere! :albino:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Drewp wrote:It tells you how much detergent is in the water at any given time. Depending on the phase of the moon, washing machine liquid drains out further into bodies of water and moves the Tide detergent around to different areas. These areas are not good for fishing, because fish don't like detergent.

I heard they do like dryer sheets though, but I still haven't been able to find a dryer sheet caluclator anywhere! :albino:
Now that right there is funny! Thanks Drewp, I needed a Monday gut buster!

garret1990 - Somebody else will give you a better/more complete answer than this soon, but I have heard that fishing from shore is best like 1-2 hours before and after the high tide...
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:24 pm

:-$ Fish feed more when the tide is in and the bite slowes when the tide goes out even if your in a lake. [-( Some people will tell you that this doesnt matter in lakes. But it does and to see if this works go out when the tide is low and see how many fish you catch and stay until the tide is high. Now keep in mind small fish will feed all the time to keep from being food them selfs, so they can grow fast. So don't think the tide deal doesn't work when your getting bites from small ones. Right now your late afternoon will be better than the morn. So watch the tide for the highest of the day and you should catch fish. And the same with the moon phase watch the better times to go out. Every one has gone out and caught fish good and then they just stop bitting well the tide just might have something to do with that. I have been out first thing in the morn and not even had a hit and by the time I'm ready to leave the fish start to bite. Many Bass fisherman watch the barometric pressure if it is falling the fish will bite but, this also may not always cause fish to bite. Bill Dance will tell you to fish when the falling pressure is below 30 I've tried this in Feb and it worked I caught some lunkers. So there are many factors you should look at to have a good outing on the water.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

garret1990
Petty Officer

Post by garret1990 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:01 am

What do I do here at black lake? The pressure is rising. I know i need to fish out in the deep but I can't cause I don't have a boat. But i'm trying. For now though, what should I do? All I do is fish from shore at moon phase times from about 20-40 feet of water. Also, I have been using powerbait. But I haven't tought anything since i've gone out recently.Any advice on that?

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:24 am

Drewp wrote:It tells you how much detergent is in the water at any given time. Depending on the phase of the moon, washing machine liquid drains out further into bodies of water and moves the Tide detergent around to different areas. These areas are not good for fishing, because fish don't like detergent.

That was good.....

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 pm

It is all related to the moon cycle, and yes, depending on what type of fishing you are doing it makes a huge difference. On Whidbey you can catch a lot of salmon on the tide shifts, and few between.

In lakes it makes a difference if the moon is full or just a sliver, but like everything else it is just a small factor. If you are throwing the wrong bait, in the wrong place you won't catch anything (but that is OK sometimes...)

Field and Stream publishes a moon/tide/diurnal calculator each month.
Clam Man

"____________"