oddest bait ever used

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

RE:oddest bait ever used

Post by christopherbeebe » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 am

i've heard of people using "preparation H" for panfish never tried it though
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:19 pm

My late Grandma would catch trout using her cigarette butts where she lived on Kern River (California).
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 pm

My uncle in West Virginia used to take me catfishing on the Ohio River and all he would use is Treet meat. Cut it into squares about as big as your thumb, slide the hook through and then rotate it and sink the barb in the meat again. I thought he was crazy so I bought chicken liver.

He almost skunked me. I caught one for every six he would catch. So I tried it later with Spam, no dice. Catfish don't like Spam. But they love Treet meat. Go figure.

I've also used old Alpo for catfish. If they'll hit Alpo before they'll hit Spam, what does that say about Spam?? :thumbdown
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:27 pm

AaronE wrote:My uncle in West Virginia used to take me catfishing on the Ohio River and all he would use is Treet meat.
What is Treet meat?

When I was a kid, my little brother got "Slime with Worms" for his birthday. One day he opened the can and discovered all of the worms had escaped :-"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Chicken Liver for cats- thats not really werid tho for cats.'

Corn- for carp

Crickets- for panfish back in Ohio.

fish heads- big cats

marshmellow-trout

wheaties dough ball for- cats and carp
Go Huskies!

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:48 pm

I used a green sweedish fish candy to catch a two pound largemouth

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
AaronE wrote:My uncle in West Virginia used to take me catfishing on the Ohio River and all he would use is Treet meat.
What is Treet meat?
Treet is kind of like Spam. Comes in a similar can but is actually edible.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:13 pm

I had a friend that said he used to use a can of wet dog food to attract catfish. I guess just punch a few holes in the can and chuck it out where you wanna fish and they come in to the scent. I also heard of folks using WD-40 and spraying it on lures and worms as an attractant. Never tried any of these but I hear it works.:-"
<>< “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” --Doug Larson ><>

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:15 am

ProP-Junkie wrote:I also heard of folks using WD-40 and spraying it on lures and worms as an attractant.
WD-40 is bad for the water and bad for the fish. but i also heard it does work. i would never use it though.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:27 am

As a Kid i always had great success catching bream with macaroni all the time ..just drop a hand full in boiling hot water for a about 3 min and they are ready to fish .. LMAO .. i still get a kick out of that ...(fun times) BBD#-o

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:39 pm

WOW, the fact that so many have used some of the strange bait makes this thread funny.

I grew up using Velveeta cheese. I'd use it now, but I like to eat the Velveeta and besides, Power Bait floats (LOL). No Velveeta in my boat.

I have caught Rainbow and Eastern brookies using red and yellow current berries. We had a hail storm one night and the fish were full of the berries, so...................... why use worms when mother nature provides her own bait?

Gummy Worms, heck ya. I forgot my rubber worms (actually all my tackle) one time, and after traveling for 150 miles to fish for bass at a remote lake, I was not going home. I stopped at a gas station and they had them - desperate people use what they can find. They also had snelled bait hooks, so between the nose hooked gummy worms and snelled hooks, I did pretty well. LOL

Bluegill will hit anything, so that doesn't count. ROFLMAO

How about marshmallow? I know, I know, everyone uses them. But how strange, air filled puffs of pure sugar, with maybe a little color or added scent? Who in the world would have figured that out?

Keep up this thread, I'd love to see more.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

gcbcaddis1
Angler

Post by gcbcaddis1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:23 pm

When we were kids we used to use white bread balled up on a bait hook to catch panfish in our local pond.
Worked like a charm. I also tied up some flies that look like the pellets they use at the hatcheries and the worked OK but not very durable.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Whenever have a "buy catch" of largemouth bass, especially the 3 and 4 pounders, when I split them open to let them sink to the bottom I use the guts to catch trout.

Just kidding...just wanted to elevate the bloodpressure on a few of the Bass guys on the board. Drewp, put that stick down!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:49 pm

i used grass to catch bluegills once when i was a kid, and last weekend i C&R like 30 kokanee on just glo hooks
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Spit-Shot weights. I clamped them on to a hook after noticing bluegill kept hitting the weight of my drop shot. They must like the shininess of them. Caught a couple on it too. Other than that the usual oddities that have already been mentioned. I have caught stocker trout on just a plain gold hook as well. No bait just the hook.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:52 pm

Well guys I hate to tell you this but with the super clear water at my favorite lake I have been catching bedded bass on a brass and glass and a red hook they cant take the clicking and they spook at any real baits:-$
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:01 pm

Straight red hooks behind a dodger...Lake Washington Sockeye....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:19 pm

lskiles wrote:Whenever have a "buy catch" of largemouth bass, especially the 3 and 4 pounders, when I split them open to let them sink to the bottom I use the guts to catch trout.

LOL, I had to read that over a couple times.... The first read through, I though Uh oh, there are going to be some harsh words and perhaps a fist fight at the barbeque!

I have, however cut up perch and used that as catfish bait.

Just kidding...just wanted to elevate the bloodpressure on a few of the Bass guys on the board. Drewp, put that stick down!
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:40 pm

Haha! I once caught the elusive Skizzle-fish by dropping a line about not being a believer. It was a tough battle and my drag was screaming, but in the end, the pagan prevailed. :farao:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Beef jerky...maybe BBD has a point about 'the bacon'.

One time I mashed up a lily pad flower in my fingers and tossed into the water and a bass ate it.