Visiting Newport area 4th of July

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
roblester
Angler

Visiting Newport area 4th of July

Post by roblester » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:02 am

If anyone can help out....Me and wife go to Pend oreille river every 4th of July..My father in law has a house about 3 miles up from the bridge By Newport,right on the river.I tried Pike last year , but have no boat , and my father in law is clueless about fishing...My pole is a bit small ( travel pole ) for pike , but lots of drag and I should be ok..I mainlly fish for Trout , and ocasionally Salmon in Oregon....Last year , all I caught off of his boat dock were squaw fish...Not exactlly what I was looking for...If anyone can give me some advice on bait , tackle , and any where to bank fish near that area , it would be greatlly appreciatted...We are coming up again for the 4th.....Also , there was confusion on Idaho license , or Washington , considering the border crosses river a million times there.....

Thanks in advance ,
Rob Lester Sparks , Nevada

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Visiting Newport area 4th of July

Post by kevinb » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:05 am

Hang tight...We've got several members that know this area well.
Welcome aboard

roblester
Angler

Post by roblester » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:15 am

I'm hangin' ....Thanks :)

river rat
Petty Officer

Post by river rat » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:23 pm

Your tackle sounds a little light for pike that can easily reach 20 lbs. +, especially trying to land from the shore thru weeds. I use a seven foot rod with a reel that can handle 12 to 15 lb. test and possible steel leader if you break off a lot. I would try Ashenfelter Bay, which is about a mile north of Newport on the west side. I'm not sure how to drive there since I always boat into it. I think you use a north side street from Newport to get down to the water. A local may be able to give you exact directions. The water should be high and the weeds not too much of a problem on the fourth, since we've had high runoff this spring. I use 1/4 to 1/2oz. spinnerbaits with a colorado blade for lots of thump. Color varies from yellow, white, chartruese or black. The state line goes from the light at safeway directly north thru Boyscout island, the island you can see downstream from the bridge, and crosses Leclerc Creek road about mile north of the bridge. Stop by the bait shop in Oldtown and they will fix you up with info and tackle. Good luck.

roblester
Angler

Post by roblester » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Thank You River rat , I believe the spot you are talking about is exactlly where i went last year..Drove through town , hiked a bit down to river...Last year , there were quite a few weeds , definitlly needed a boat...Wish I could fit one on the plane...Do you have any suggestions for other fish in area?...As said , mainlly Trout , Kokanee ,and Salmon here...I do not get a chance for much else....My tackle can handle 12 lb test , I had it last year , spiderwire , and steel lead....Only managed a few casts , gave up on that....Also , since you know area....The east side of the river is where father in law is , about 1.5-2 miles up river...I fish off his dock , but seem to only find those damn squaw fish...Are there any other fish in there??? :)

Oh , off subject , where can I buy fireworks , could not believe the fireworks all along the river......Fish help more important though :)

Thanks

river rat
Petty Officer

Post by river rat » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Go a couple of miles past Pioneer Park to a rock cut where road is right by the river. The water is deep and a good smallmouth bass and trout hang-out. About three more miles the road returns close to the water in an area called Char Springs where there are a few undeveloped lots you can access the shoreline. Trout, perch, pike, char, and bass can be caught along this stretch. Fireworks can be purchased at the Kalispel Res. north about 3 miles of the Usk bridge on the east side. Get there early, they usually sell out. RR

roblester
Angler

Post by roblester » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks again , want a beer?..We will be there wed's before 4th ...Hopefully fireworks still available....Felt like a kid again last year...Would rather catch fish :) ....Also might try Pend oreille Lake and rent a boat....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:07 pm

If you want the best eating trout in the area, go to Marshall Lake. It is 7 mile north of Newport on the Bead Lake Road. There is a resort there where you can rent a canoe or boat.

The cutthroats run between 8-12" but give a good fight and like I mentioned, great to eat.

The scenery up there is fantastic. If you go to the resort, say hi for me to Peggy and Clarence Grimes, who own the resort. I have known them for almost 50 years.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roblester
Angler

Post by roblester » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:17 pm

Marc , I will definitlley go there , and say hello....Is this the small lake with campground?...Red buildings?...I rented a boat there last year , but the fish were not that big...I am sure diferent lake , because I wouldn't catch small fish :) ...

parrydog
Petty Officer

Post by parrydog » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Ashenfelter bay shouldnt be too weedy by the 4th, I would think, seeing as it has been pretty cold up here all spring, so you may be able to fish it from shore. I was also going to suggest going to Marshall to rent a boat and catch cutthroats, I haven't fished Marshall yet but I have heard good things. Another lake I have heard good fish stories from is Cooks Lake, it is a bit of a rough drive to get to it but it is fairly small with decent rainbows in it, I have heard. Is your father in laws house the one on the east side of the river out by itself on that little point? If so, I am jealous. I will post again if I think of any more gems for your trip.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:24 pm

roblester wrote:Marc , I will definitlley go there , and say hello....Is this the small lake with campground?...Red buildings?...I rented a boat there last year , but the fish were not that big...I am sure diferent lake , because I wouldn't catch small fish :) ...
The fish don't get big, but are good eating. If you want larger, you could try Diamond south of Newport. You do have to put up with the water skiers and jet skis though.

roblester
Angler

Post by roblester » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:12 pm

parrydog wrote: Is your father in laws house the one on the east side of the river out by itself on that little point? If so, I am jealous.
That house is about 3 houses north of his( I think thats where you mean.His has huge windows overlooking river , than next door has a nice size boat dock , his is pretty small........His is nice though , stairs down to dock..I wish there were fish by his house , off his dock..Squaws only....Never new what they were until last year , caught a butt load of them.....We call them " carp " :)

river rat
Petty Officer

Post by river rat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:36 am

update on fireworks. the Kalispel Tribe haven't sold fireworks the last couple of years. Worley, Id., or Ford might be your best bet.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:39 am

The pike are very active right now...check out Gone Fishin's report(s)
BIG PIKE TOO.....Booyah!!!!!!

roblester
Angler

Post by roblester » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 am

kevinb wrote:The pike are very active right now...check out Gone Fishin's report(s)
Let them stay that way for 2 more weeks :) ..As for fireworks , i know last year a town on the way to Newport ( was by a Lake) had a couple firework stands...can not remember where , was on drive from Spokane airport to Newport....Old age and memory ....
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:47 pm

roblester wrote:
kevinb wrote:The pike are very active right now...check out Gone Fishin's report(s)
Let them stay that way for 2 more weeks :) ..As for fireworks , i know last year a town on the way to Newport ( was by a Lake) had a couple firework stands...can not remember where , was on drive from Spokane airport to Newport....Old age and memory ....
You are either thinking of Riverside (Near Eloika) or the community of Diamond Lake, which the highway passes right by the lake. Fireworks stands are getting sparse now days. Too high of a danger of fires. Unless the laws have changed, Spokane Co. no longer allows fireworks stands.

roblester
Angler

Post by roblester » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks Guys , caught 6 pike near the boat ramp at campground , north of Bridge....Caught a lot of Bass also....Thanks again for the help....