Lake Tapps

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Lake Tapps

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Sun May 27, 2007 5:58 pm

Ok... so i have a friend who recently moved to a house on lake tapps with waterfront property and he bought a new boat. He promises me that i can come fish there as soon as the lake fills up. Here are some main questions that I have:

About what date is the lake completely filled or does anyone have a guess?

Are there any types of trout in the lake? I don't think there is much or any but im totally unfamiliar with the lake...

I love bass fishing and i know there are bass, but im not going to try for muskie. Is it possible to catch a muskie on accident while bass fishing?

Thanks to everyone that can answer at least 1 or all of the questions!
-Jimmy

hewesfisher
Admiral

RE:Lake Tapps

Post by hewesfisher » Mon May 28, 2007 8:50 am

Jimmy Jimsoks wrote:I love bass fishing and i know there are bass, but im not going to try for muskie. Is it possible to catch a muskie on accident while bass fishing?
Yep, sure is. I've caught three Tiger Muskies while fishing for crappie and perch at Silver Lake in Spokane County. I wouldn't think a 1/16 oz crappie jig with a 1 1/2" red/white tube would be something a Tiger would be interested in, but they've proved my wrong!
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:28 pm

the lake supposedly should be full by June 1st, as it has in prior years. However, this year they are lower than the norm. Trout-wise, I'm pretty sure they put thousands of fry in there every couple of years hoping that they live, but it may have been halted with the increase of the tiger muskies. Probably not the right lake for trout!

Good luck, take advantage of the waterfront estate!

Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Tue May 29, 2007 12:18 am

Thanks guys... cmessling07, You are probably right about the lake being lower. I dont see how the lake could be full by june 1st. it looked like it had a looong way to go. It was filling up fast, but it didnt seem like it was fast enough....
-Jimmy

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Tue May 29, 2007 12:52 am

Jim to answer some of your questions.
The trout come in from the river, we used to catch steelhead in the flume before the fish trap was installed. This year part of the deversion dam is down so there may be trout, steelhead, and salmon this year.
The water should be usable in about 2 weeks give or take a few days.
I have caught a bunch of tigers while fishing for smallies, I caught a 36" on 4 lbs test ultra light using a 1/8 oz Roadrunner. Anything is posible.
What part of the lake are you going it be on?
Bill
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

Jimmy Jimsoks
Petty Officer

Post by Jimmy Jimsoks » Tue May 29, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks Bill. My friend for sure has his house on or near Deer Island. I think his house is right on of Deer Island Dr E off of Sumner-Tapps Highway E. I'm doing this based off google earth so the roads could be wrong. I dont know if thats a good fishing spot or what or if i should be fishing more in the open lake for bass and any other fish. My friend knows nothing about fishing and i know nothing about Tapps Lake. I guess i can figure out some good fishing spots and techniques with trial and error. Maybe you or someone else familiar witht he lake has some helpful suggestions... Thanks,
-Jimmy