Lake Padden Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Matt
Admiral

Lake Padden Fishing

Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 3:08 am

This is my Whatcom county lowland lake report:

Well, my buddy and I spent most of last week fishing around lake padden near my house here in bellingham. We did some trolling and managed a few kokanee around 10" or so that were delicious on the barbcue, and also caught a lot of perch. We found a nice prech spot and my partner landed one of the biggest perch I have seen in a long time, if ever, it was 14" solid, and we didn't have a scale but I would assume it was around a pound. We caught several nice perch in the 10" range and had a good beer batter fish fry. Yestarday, we caught 2 holdover rainbows about 15" , all caught on a pin slip bobber with just a piece of nightcrawler.

We also hit Fazon, and managed 5 nice bass, and 2 bluegills on 4" twirl tail worms that were larger than my open hand.

Out at Terrell, my girlfriend and I managed several bass, one in the 4# margin.

All in all, I'd say Whatcom county has some good action right now. Giant cats and bass coming from Terrel, big smallies from Whatcom, Largemouths showing up regionally, and apprearently "trophy" yellow perch :-({|=

Haha,

Matt
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 22, 2007 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

noclothes1
Lieutenant

RE:Lake Padden Fishing

Post by noclothes1 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:59 pm

went out to Terrel this Sunday and Monday to play with some new gear. I have to fish from shore, so it pretty much blows since this is the first year I have fished out htere and don't know jack, except it looks quite bassy, saw somebody bring in a trout, and some old Philippino couple caught about 6 little pumpkinseeds or something in about 10 minutes. I being the horrible fisherman I am only got a few bites. I have been doing lots of reading on the net to learn more and will keep trying. Working to figure out the shore fishing at Terrel still.

Have people been catching anything from shore at Padden? That is the only lake I have had success at. The trout were tasty.

I wish I could catch enough perch for a fish fry. I used to pull 'em up through the ice on Lake Michigan by the bucket full. This X-mas my brother inlaw and I caught 20+.

Any shore access on Fazon?

Alright, I'll be looking forward to your weekly updates.

gary
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu May 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Fishing from shore at padden produces some success, but all the trout in there seem to be infected with some kind of kidney disease. The pathologist at Kendell Creek fish hatchery said it is a concern, but they don't see an immediate threat of consumption..... they don't really know what the problem is.

Fazon has very limited shore access, its a bird lake in the fall so there are pathways around the lake to duckblinds, but not really any good fishing access. The boat launch is just a narrow slip into the lake.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Lip Rippa
Petty Officer

Post by Lip Rippa » Thu May 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Check out the lake behind the hospital. It is a small lake that drains from Sunset Pond. There are some decent fish in there especially fish fry size fish. All the usual suspects are there: bluegill (slabs), perch, cutthroat trout, bass, bullhead and I heard the occasional salmon. I haven't fished there (or anywhere) in a while but there were some ok shore access. Can't use a boat there but a float tube would work.