Pend Oreille Pike

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
parrydog
Petty Officer

Pend Oreille Pike

Post by parrydog » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:32 pm

I am planning on fishing the Pend Oreille River this weekend for some pike. I have never fished for pike as I have never lived close to any pike waters until I moved to Newport two years ago. My understanding is you use oversized bass baits with a steel leader and hit the shallow sloughs. Does anyone else have any advice?

eustace
Lieutenant

RE:Pend Oreille Pike

Post by eustace » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 pm

If you don't get any fish following your retrieve, try a whole smelt or pike minnow 3' under a bobber at a entrance of one of the sloughs. It's pretty cold yet. I suspect there just comming out of there winter lathargy and thats how and when the biggest fish are caught. I plan on hitting it sometime this early spring, so let us know how you did.
Well its not called Catching!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Dude,...sounds like we need to get together. I'm over here on the westside but will be making several stops over there for some serious pike action.

parrydog
Petty Officer

Post by parrydog » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Kevinb if you were talking to me, pm me if and when you plan on coming over and I will see if I am free.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:54 pm

parrydog wrote:Kevinb if you were talking to me, pm me if and when you plan on coming over and I will see if I am free.
I sure will.......

parrydog
Petty Officer

Post by parrydog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:59 pm

Well, I didn't make it out on to the river this weekend. The 4-5" of snow we got on Sat. put a damper on my plans. Hopefully next weekend will be a little nicer.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:24 pm

parrydog wrote:I am planning on fishing the Pend Oreille River this weekend for some pike. I have never fished for pike as I have never lived close to any pike waters until I moved to Newport two years ago. My understanding is you use oversized bass baits with a steel leader and hit the shallow sloughs. Does anyone else have any advice?
Hey parrydog. You enjoying the snow? Maybe take up ice fishing:cheers:
I'll send PM for some pike fishing tips. However I'm not familiar with the waters in your area. Pike,just like other species differ from area to area. But overall should still be relativley the same. eustace and TroutCowboy are very informed of that part of the state.

Almost forgot..Gisteppo is over there too. I know I'm leaving others out.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.