Extensive Fishing Journal

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
kuttkilla
Captain

Extensive Fishing Journal

Post by kuttkilla » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Does anyone keep an extensive fishing journal?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Extensive Fishing Journal

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:46 pm

kuttkilla wrote:Hey ya'll. Do you guys/gals keep a fishing journal? What I mean is recording the date, time, weather, etc...every little detail you can think of in a fishing journal? It's amazing after 15 years what trends you can witness, especially if you're only fishing 2 or 3 bodies of water...it's something worth seriously considering if already don't...plus when you look back on it when you are older, it will read very nostalgic..,
Thats a really smart idea. I thought I was the only one. I have 2 journals. And this may sound really stupid. 1 is for muskie fishing(thats it) 2 is Lake Cushman...and only this lake. I just started writing notes of where I caught a kokes,then it progressed to time and baits used, fish species.I've gotten really detailed with it,been putting notes in it for several years now....I should start documenting other bodies of water.
Nice thread Kutt.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swandazi
Petty Officer

Post by Swandazi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:13 pm

i have one as well, but sadly i havent kept it up to date. The last entry was from like a year ago.. I usually include the date, water temperature, what the fish were biting, any notable hatches, weather, and the locations (depth and area) of caught fish.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 pm

dilbert has a pretty cool spreedsheet that he showed us awhile back that makes a lot of sense and is easy to use.
Where you at man? Throw that thing up and show some people.
I personally don't keep tabs except in my mind. I regret it sometimes and want to but never really take the time to do it.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Fishing journals are a great idea. I had one for the last 2 years or so. The only problem was I used a spiral notebook and the pages kept ripping out and wernt water proof.

My lap top is getting fixed right now but once I get it back this is what I am going to do. I am going to get a 3 ring binder, type all my fishing reports, put them in protective plastice sleves and then put those in the binder. This way I dont have to worry about the pages ripping out or them getting wet. Another great thing about this is I take photo album sleves, put those behind the report page and be able to log pictures behind the report.

For each season I will start a new binder. So when they sit on the shelf you can see what year they are from because the year will be written on the spine of the binder.

But I will keep all my reprts on zip disks so all I have to do is bring any computer while fishing to upload the reprts and not have to worry about bringing 2 or 3 binders.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:49 pm

I havn't noted water temps.though. I'm on welfare and need to purchase(steal) a temeraturemonitorthingy.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:00 pm

I have thought about keeping a journal, but am just not that organized. The closest thing to a journal I have would be in my head (not the best resource) and the reports here. Oh! and campfire stories :^o
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 am

Thanks for the post kutt I will start one this year. I will probably go with the 3 ring binder and sort it by lakes.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Started one, did it for a few years, but kinda forgot/grew out of it. Would be worth keeping though. I know it's fun to read all my reports on this site, so why not your own personal ones?
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:37 pm

yup, this site is my fishing journal. :bball:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".