A Bait & Release Question On Lake Roosevelt

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
T-Bone
Petty Officer

A Bait & Release Question On Lake Roosevelt

Post by T-Bone » Tue May 16, 2017 5:46 am

A fellow fisherman questioned the WDFW rule of ALL trout caught on bait kept or released counting against their daily limit...When in Lake Roosevelt, all trout with an intact adipose fin must be released. In other words, since you can't keep them; those fish don't count against your limit. I said, "Sorry, with bait; yes they do."

Anyone know an official WDFW answer?

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Re: A Bait & Release Question On Lake Roosevelt

Post by hlindsay » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 am

If you could not keep it you should not have to count it. If I catch a wild king I can not keep I do not have to count it. I understand the intent is to keep the catch and release of unmarked fish down, but how can the WDFW have it both ways.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 am

T-Bone wrote:A fellow fisherman questioned the WDFW rule of ALL trout caught on bait kept or released counting against their daily limit...When in Lake Roosevelt, all trout with an intact adipose fin must be released. In other words, since you can't keep them; those fish don't count against your limit. I said, "Sorry, with bait; yes they do."

Anyone know an official WDFW answer?
And that's my personal opinion of what is correct unless or until WDFW defines otherwise. No need to put oneself in a position to have to justify C&R with bait when the Trout bait rule on pg15 of the current rules pamphlet states:

"When fishing with bait, all TROUT (except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether kept or released."

This applies when fishing in rivers, streams, beaver ponds, lakes, reservoirs, and ponds. I will not risk an interpretation of the rules by a warden when they are clearly stated in the pamphlet. I cannot be cited if I count released native trout against my daily limit.

I can see the argument for not counting against the limit, but that wasn't addressed in the pamphlet changes regarding Redband trout in Roosevelt and the statewide rules still apply until it is. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue May 16, 2017 12:16 pm

The wild trout do not meet the minimum size of a trout to be kept. Because there is no minimum size for a wild fish. You can not keep them. So you don't count a fish you could not have kept.

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 am

I personally wouldn't try that argument with a game warden. Seems like something they could clarify easy enough though. I've emailed questions before and got clear cut answers in writing.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed May 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm with Hewes on this - best to err on the side of caution.

Always.

onmygame

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 pm

hlindsay wrote:The wild trout do not meet the minimum size of a trout to be kept. Because there is no minimum size for a wild fish. You can not keep them. So you don't count a fish you could not have kept.
There is no minimum size for any trout, wild or otherwise, except in rivers, streams, and beaver ponds and Lake Roosevelt is not a river, stream or beaver pond. [rolleyes]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm

"all TROUT (except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size" or you might say a fish that is legal to keep.

BradF
Angler

Post by BradF » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:32 am

No rule change in the new regs. To bad.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:26 pm

hlindsay We that fish Lake Roosevelt often have discussed this topic to death and several of us have contacted WSFG and seem to all got the same answer, you have to release wild trout and those released DO count toward your daily limit even if they are bleeding and or dying. I don't disagree with your line of thinking but I think the point you may be missing is "WHEN FISHING WITH BAIT". This even applies to Kokanee in Roosevelt since they are listed as a Trout (even though Kokanee don't count toward your daily trout limit), a lot of folks were culling through Kokanee trying to get the next state record fish but they were doing so illegally. A good rule change would be that this rule would not apply if trolling because a Trout caught while trolling almost never swallows the hook unlike bank fishermen using Power Bait the fish almost always swallows the hook. Agree or disagree but the law is stated very clearly (although it doesn't make much sense) in this case

BradF
Angler

Post by BradF » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Sort of tough on the bank fishers as most days I end up with only 3 or 4 in the bag (when I'm lucky enough to limit) and one day I came home with just 2. I wonder what percent of the net fish are actually clipped? Most of the fish (well over 50%) I released after the rule change were small fish the same size and coloration as the clipped fish. If those were all real natives then the natives were running over 20% of my catch.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:07 am

hewesbob wrote:A good rule change would be that this rule would not apply if trolling because a Trout caught while trolling almost never swallows the hook unlike bank fishermen using Power Bait the fish almost always swallows the hook. Agree or disagree but the law is stated very clearly (although it doesn't make much sense) in this case
I agree with this completely and have posted here previously the next time WDFW solicits comments for statewide pamphlet changes this is one I am submitting. I, still, have never caught a trout while trolling that swallowed my scented or baited lure - it just doesn't happen.

Unfortunate for bank anglers, because it is a common occurrence when still fishing, and I've caught a lot of trout that way too.

Until then, I comply with nonsensical bait rule while trolling. [rolleyes]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System