Bass Fishing Lake Washington

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
fitzpatrickkevin80
Angler

Bass Fishing Lake Washington

Post by fitzpatrickkevin80 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:24 pm

HI,

I am new to the Pacific Northwest and have read the small mouth bass fishing is very good on Lake Washington. I bought my launch pass and have done a little reading on bait fish sticklebait, salmon smolt, perch. Etc. I am not familiar with sticklebait or salmon but when I looked them up it looks like they are bronze and silver. All that said, for colors...should I try bronze, silver, green, red? What techniques do you normally use - drop shot, spinners, jigging (my preferred)? Early in the season - should I focus on the northern part of the lake for water temperaturesports. Types of lures? Other suggestions?

Thanks for any/all responses,

slabmaster
Angler

Re: Bass Fishing Lake Washington

Post by slabmaster » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:28 pm

This is basically my home lake although panfish are usually my preferred species. There are plenty of lunker smallies in there that can be had this time of year. Some other foods to consider are sculpin and crawdads and those are stickleback minnows fyi. I would focus on the ends of main lake points or any structure you encounter in 40-50 feet of water. One reason I don't target these fish in the winter is when coming up from deep water more often than not their air bladder will become inflated (similar to perch from deep water) and unless you are adept at the "fizzing" technique or have a contraption that will release at depth then you run the risk of your prized catches becoming eagle bait. Im assuming you are C & R ing. This time of year I like the east channel, both ends of mercer island, most points on eastside and the area around the west end of the 520 bridge. Good luck - be sure to post a report

slabmaster
Angler

Post by slabmaster » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:32 pm

As far as lures, I stick to either a dropshot with a 3-4 inch bait or a grub/sculpin/crawdad on a football type jighead about 1/4 - 1/2 oz. A small chunk of crawler always helps too.

fitzpatrickkevin80
Angler

Post by fitzpatrickkevin80 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the update. I will probably wait until they move up in April/May time for the spawn so I really appreciate the update. As far as colors - what are the primary colors?

tbrinks
Petty Officer

Post by tbrinks » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I've only fished it maybe 3 or 4 times but have had some success. I had my best luck on the north end and in Lake Union. This area seemed to be most consistent for bigger fish. Most of my bigger fish all came on dropshot on points, around docks and bridge pilings. See map below.

Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:25 pm

This time of year, the smallies will be anywhere from 35-50 feet. Fish isolated rockpiles around the southeast side of Mercer Island as well as around the deeper sides and out away from the bridge pilings. There are also a few nice areas out around the VMAC that can be good for a late winter type bite. Football heads from a 1/2 up to an ounce (I usually throw 3/4 or 1 oz mostly) with a green pumpkin or brown beaver style bait is hard to beat. Yamamoto single and double tail grubs in #176 or #221 (4 or 5 inch)are usually good as well. A dropshot rig works year around, and you can even combine a dropshot and football head combo using the rigged football head as your drop weight. In late April early may you can get into some nice largemouth in the bays up around husky stadium, and you can target the big flat outside newport for nice pre-spawn fish, and the canals will typically start to get stacked up with spawners as well. Just a few thoughts to help you get started. Have fun!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:28 pm

David, do you still guide? The bookmark I have for your web page doesn't work anymore, and hasn't for awhile, and a search doesn't come up with anything.
Tom.

Interests: living

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi Tom, I'm actually not guiding anymore. I might start up again at some point, but I wasn't able to balance work, guiding, and my own personal life. I reached the point where I was turning down requests on too consistent of a basis, which is no way to run a business, even if it was just a part time deal. I'm going to just try and offer up some advice where I think it might help others out. Nice to see you're still moderating here! :)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm

I try to moderate properly and help everyone when I can. [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:11 pm

I cant believe Ive never fish Lake Washington in the 20 some years Ive lived here.

I seem to remember reading some of the boat launches are not safe to leave your rig parked, but cant find the posts now.

Id be driving up from the Tacoma area - where would be a good place to launch?

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Better than me, the only things I know about Lake Washington is that Tom Green swam across it and WDFW banned bass fishing in it last year due to salmon runs.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Gene Coulon or the Bellevue launch are Ok but are expensive. Never had an issue at Coulon and they patrol it. The public one (do not know the launch charge) on Rainier Ave is one that may not be a good idea to leave your stuff at... Time of day makes a difference but I just don't take the chance any more. Coming from Tacoma Gene Coulon would be the closest to you as well. I think it is a $25 launch fee. I buy an annual at $120.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Excellent, thanks!

Dont know how soon we will get up there. My bro had to take his truck in for tranny issues today. No word on how big a dent that will put in the fishing budget yet....

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm

In February, from what I understand, about 40' deep is the key depth for the smallmouth on Lake Washington.
Fished for perch this month and 69 feet of water was the ticket, about 0.5 miles north of the Seahawks practice field. Perch meat doesn't work nearly as well for me as do about a 1.5" segment of nightcrawler.
Low to see the eagles swoop down near the boat and take a fish.