Who pours their own lead?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
dilbert
Captain

RE:Who pours their own lead?

Post by dilbert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:48 pm

I tried to buy that pot last week when I went to Cabela's, but they only had the floor model left. I'll be getting it soon for sure, thanks for the tips!
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Here's a tip for using this pot: If it starts dripping, bend a fish hook out to 90 degrees, stick it up into the spout at the bottom and twist it around to remove any slag. Be sure to keep your hands clear because some lead may drip out during the process. If that doesn't work, stick a screwdriver in the slot of at the top of the metal post and twist it back and forth.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Is that tuna/cat food can for catching drips or for making hockey puck style ingots?

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:37 pm

dilbert wrote:Is that tuna/cat food can for catching drips or for making hockey puck style ingots?
Yep, that's a tuna can for catching drips. They form a stalagmite that can easily be removed and put back in the pot.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:47 pm

leahcim_dahc wrote:Didn't know tire weights would be that much an issue...thanks for the information. Maybe I won't hit up the tire company for lead... #-o
I use tire weights and don't have any problems. The heads are harder than pure lead and retain paint better when they get bashed on rocks.

The only down-side I've seen when using tire weights, is that my jigs are a tad light. My 1/8 oz jigs weigh 3 grams instead of 3 1/2. Sometimes wheel weights are dirty, but the dirt is less dense than lead and will float to the top where it can be skimmed off with an old fork.
:chef:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 am

Wheel weights are horrible. So is x-ray lead. Any lead is just nasty stuff. I'll come by and take it to the hazardous waste disposal for you.
:money:

In my limited experience with pouring lead I have used tire weights, diving weights, x-ray foil, and other miscellaneous lead types. All have worked great. The most painfull experience was talking to my friends brother about pouring lead jigs and sinkers and he told me that he had just taken a bunch of lead pipe to the dump that was in his crawlspace!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:36 am

I use a spare allen wrench to poke up the hole. The advantage to an allen wrench is it won't bend it you have to tap it with something to dislodge any stubborn stuff.

Another thing is to use a propane torch to clear out "spout freeze".

chevin
Angler

Post by chevin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:46 am

I had a pot made. I got a bit of 4" dia pipe about 3' long and had a base and a handle welded to it. I heated it up. squeezed a pourer into one side and that does the job perfectly.

Wheel weights are fine, but not all of them are lead. I often use that material on its own and sometimes I mix it with real lead. I don't have any problems but at times the difference is noticable.

I will repeat some advice you have already been given, keep water away from molten lead and never, never, never cool your mold in water between pours. Being caught in a nuclear explosion would be far less painful than a wet mold exploding when you pour lead into it!
Eagles may soar, but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:54 pm

I do the same as Reelnut.I make pyramid sinkers in 4,5,6 oz size for plunking the rivers.I usally get tire weights and melt them down.Have a good pair of leather gloves .Those molds and melting pots get reaaaaaaaaaall hot.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

FISHKILLER
Petty Officer

Post by FISHKILLER » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I make all types of weights, but mostly large 8-16oz pyramids. My advice is to buy lead shot for refilling shotgun shells. It is pretty cheap here and pure.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:31 pm

FISHKILLER wrote:I make all types of weights, but mostly large 8-16oz pyramids. My advice is to buy lead shot for refilling shotgun shells. It is pretty cheap here and pure.
Actually, most lead shot contains tin and/or antimony. They are added to harden the shot so it won't deform. Round shot makes more consistent patterns.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

byousey
Angler

Post by byousey » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:54 pm

I live in the Cashmere area and have about 300 # of lead that my Dad left me. I don't make my own sinkers/jigs.

Any offers?