Where to buy bait

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Where to buy bait

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 pm

JayTea wrote:Thanks everybody for the reply,, I managed to find some night crawlers and meal worms at Petco , I think they feed them to lizards or something . I went out to Waverly Park on Lake Washington just got back , didn't even get a nibble. Where the fish at around here? Nobody on the dock was catching anything either...
I was going to mention Petco. I get mealworms there, good quality.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
JayTea wrote:Thanks everybody for the reply,, I managed to find some night crawlers and meal worms at Petco , I think they feed them to lizards or something . I went out to Waverly Park on Lake Washington just got back , didn't even get a nibble. Where the fish at around here? Nobody on the dock was catching anything either...
I was going to mention Petco. I get mealworms there, good quality.
Yes and wax worms and crickets in all sizes. The lizard I had for 17 years was very picky and would only eat fresh crickets. She liked the big ones but the little ones are better for them...... Yeah, I know, TMI.....
Watch out for those king meal worms, nasty biters if they get the chance but they and the wax worms are very tough, should last a while on a hook. They might even have real live maggots too. :-& :-& :-& :-& :-&
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 pm

heres a good bait idea from an old time american lake angler who everyone called uncle milty or something like that. he had cattle and would keep heads from ones he slaughtered. they would grow maggots that supposedly had a better taste as they were munching on meat instead of whatever they feed the store bought ones. he fished over by the veterans hospital and caught the largest kokanee and perch i've ever seen in person.

hhc1482
Petty Officer

Post by hhc1482 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:55 am

Places I've heard or have gone for bait:

Big 5 Sporting Goods
1101 NW Leary Way
Seattle, WA 98107
(206) 706-7531

This Big5 located in Ballard sells live bait but the fridge is completely empty at the moment. Staff say they do not know when it will be re-stocked as of 9/20/2014. I'd call and ask ahead of time.

Fred Meyer Pharmacy
915 NW 45th St
Seattle, WA 98107

This Fred Meyer location has nightcrawlers and various season baits. Cured crayfish, etc...

Outdoor Emporium
1701 4th Ave S
Seattle, WA 98134

It's a got more than just live bait, I'd say it's a good place to fulfill all your fishing needs. Be prepared though, it's a bit costly and very tempting.

New Star Mini-Mart Teriyaki & Deli
8600 Rainier Ave S
Seattle, WA 98118

I often fish at Bear Sheva Park in Rainer Beach. There's a little known shop the locals go, to get their nightcrawlers I think it was $3 or $4, I can't remember the exact price. It's an Asian run deli slash mart, not to be confused with the Saar's Marketplace that's on 9000 Rainier Ave, that's just a supermarket next block over.
Last edited by hhc1482 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

swayner23
Petty Officer

Post by swayner23 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:20 am

Fred Meyer in Ballard has a fridge with night crawlers and other baits in the fishing area at the end of the aisle. Nice fat worms too, I grabbed a couple containers last Friday.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:40 pm

If you have a Uwajimaya store close by, stop in and have a look at their seafood section. They almost always have fresh smelt and anchovies. Frozen sardines, squid and shrimp as well, herring, not so much.

I feel the need to rebut/clarify the statement regarding Outdoor Emporium being costly. They typically have the best prices in town by a wide margin. However, their selection of gear is massive and one could easily drop a $100 just stopping in for bait. They seem to have a lot of things that you never new you needed and at close to internet prices.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:48 pm

G-Man wrote:…. However, their selection of gear is massive and one could easily drop a $100 just stopping in for bait. They seem to have a lot of things that you never new you needed….
Yes, this is a problem. I can't even drive by without $10 disappearing out of my wallet. [confused]

hhc1482
Petty Officer

Post by hhc1482 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:35 am

Your right, I think the huge selection and the high sales tax are really what gets to me. There's also a membership option, I don't know how that works in relation with the fishing gear, the store sells a bunch of other outdoors stuff. That might be something to look into if you intend to be a long term customer that visits often.