TUKWILA PARK POND

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
BlakeWashington
Angler

TUKWILA PARK POND

Post by BlakeWashington » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 am

I know some of you know of this spot but probably more don't. Tukwila Park Pond is located behind value village and next to target in the southcenter mall area (tukwila). The lake is small and theres only 2 "docks" which are actually viewpoint things. Anyways theres catfish here...and I think thats all thats there. It's a little difficult to cast out there with more than 2-3 people since theres lot's of tree's to get snagged on.

We caught about 6 total in about 2 hours the biggest one being about a foot long. We came back later in the night (without a light source) and hooked about 2 more before deciding to head out. It's a fun spot and very quiet. I'm thinking about taking a raft out one day and get deeper in the water. My line broke on a big one out there a few weeks back and I need to find out where he is

tnj8222
Admiral

Re: TUKWILA PARK POND

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:34 am

Man you shouldn't eat those. That pond always has a huge oil slick covering the whole thing.

FlyGirl
Petty Officer

Post by FlyGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 am

Just out of a general rule, anything that close to so many cars, runoffs, and general polluting crap, I would not eat anything out of there....

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Nice looking pics. Can you say how many inches the largest was? Hard to tell with mag. factor from photo. I second the urban bottom fish polution issue.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Whenever I go to Target in Southcenter I see the Tukwilla Pond. All I really see is all the garbage dumped over the side wall. Catfish are like crows. They keep the area clean of critters.Nice looking Catfish. I always wondered about that pond.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Nice job finding a new place and sticking to it!
Yeah, I've wondered about it as well - only I was wondering about bass, not catfish. Like others have said - I wouldn't eat anything out of there..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

BlakeWashington
Angler

Post by BlakeWashington » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 am

This is going to sound strange but I'm actually allergic to seafood. I never eat anything I catch. It's either catch and release or I give it to my girlfriend or family.

With that being said I took those catfish to a BBQ and people seemed to like them but I probably won't be giving those out anymore. Thanks everyone.

The biggest one we has was about a foot long. Somethjnf bigger in there broke my 8lb line tho.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 am

Not strange at all. I dont eat fish from the Duwamish river or Elliot Bay. Those are giveaway fish after I secure the eggs. Puyallup the same. Our river mouths and inner city bays are so nasty.

hhc1482
Petty Officer

Post by hhc1482 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Went here to fish today at around 2pm - 5pm, interesting location. It's almost semi-secluded, with a few people walking through the park. The sign seemed very worn out and luckily google maps managed to find it. Parking was a bit confusing as it's shared with Target.

After reading the first post on this lake, I thought "Wow, I'm gonna kill it here". I brought a long this catfish bait that I purchased from a local big5, it stunk like you couldn't imagine. The stench from the bait reminded me of driving down I-5 from SF to LA, passing all those slaughter houses. It was so putrid I thought it'd work great. I tried from below the 'decks' in the park first, and got nothing, then I went up on the deck and cast out, still nothing. The strange thing, was that I kept noticing the line and rod being tucked. It was like witnessing the bait being nibbled away.

My last hour there, I ended up giving up on catfish. I figured, while I was there, I'd try for some panfish or bass. Rigged up my neon green grub jig and tried a slow retrieve. Almost immediately, I was getting hit with small pumpkin seeds. Sadly the hooks were too big to hook them. Kept getting missed hookups, eventually I gave up and heading home.

Thought I'd share some photos of the lake, so people have an idea of what it looked like. Also, any advice on the type of bait I should be using for catfish here would be greatly appreciated.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:50 pm

With all the beautiful rivers and alpine lakes around here... I still just love urban junk pond fishing. Thanks for re-awakening this thread. I don't have advice beyond what you already through out there. I suppose you could down size your hook, use a small maggot bait, or slight bit of worm, and those panfish would be all over it.

hhc1482
Petty Officer

Post by hhc1482 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:26 am

lol, my plan is really to try and conquer one lake at a time. I'm explore various lakes that are within an hours drive from where I live near downtown Seattle. Most of these lakes are urban places, once I manage to figure out what works and what doesn't in these lakes, I'll branch out to more of the picturesque places and try those out. Thus far, all I've caught are black bass from various local lakes.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:12 am

You've referred to "Black bass a few times. Can anyone else on here clarify if that is another term for smallies or largies?
Have not heard that in NW, but u know how it is...take bluegill in the South they call them Brim,

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am

yes, but mostly largemouth.
Tom.

Interests: living

hhc1482
Petty Officer

Post by hhc1482 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 pm

From my understanding, 'Black Bass' is an umbrella term for largemouth, smallmouth, and sometimes even rock bass. In the past, I mainly fished for largemouth so when I see baby smallmouth or even rock bass, I get confused by the way they look. So rather than mislabel them I just call'em black bass.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Hey Ralph,

Just curious, why not eat salmon from the Duwi or the Puyallup? They aren't residents...they are just passing through. How much toxic build up could they really get just passing through? Now the catfish in a polluted pond, I get that.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Eating salmon and steelhead is fine just nothing else. Some will disagree but oh well.

BlakeWashington
Angler

Post by BlakeWashington » Thu May 14, 2015 1:53 am

just following up for bait. worms work best for the catfish at this pond! don't ask me why! haven't been here in a while just wanted to follow up.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue May 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks, Blake! I have also wondered about this pond. No my son and I have something to do the next time my wife goes to target, lol.

So catfish and sunfish. Any other species?

Thanks.

-ib

hawkoath
Petty Officer

Post by hawkoath » Mon May 25, 2015 1:48 am

I was messing around with hot dogs once on this lake and ended up catching what I assume is a box turtle which was released back.