Cascadia Big Fishing Year Update - 40 Species

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
uplandsandpiper
Petty Officer

Cascadia Big Fishing Year Update - 40 Species

Post by uplandsandpiper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi all,

Its been a while so I thought I would update on my progress to catch/harvest as many species of fish/shellfish in OR/WA as possible in 2014. I set a minimum goal of 50 species and I am only 10 away with 40 species!!! I am fairly confident that will be achieved by the end of July so logically the next goal would be 60 with 75 species seemingly unlikely but possible.

Here is a quick grab bag of my top 5 favorites of the year:

1.) Kayak Springers on the Willamette River

My first day out after springers in March produced a fish for myself and one for my fishing partner. Should of stopped there with a perfect season!!!

2.) Swan Island White Sturgeon

Miserable weather and high water made for awesome sturgeon fish. Landed over 20 sturgeon from the kayak with several oversized taking me on 10 and 15 minute slayrides.

3.) Big Searun Coastal Cutthroat

Usually I am ticked off when I find someone else occupying my steelhead slots but I was pretty happy to find this dude who went for a pink and white wooly bugger jig.

4.) Ana Reservoir Wipers

The last wiper fishery in Cascadia. After a long day in the rain some night fishing paid dividends. Caught 4 wipers which are a good fight even on steelhead gear including this 17" keeper.

5.) Willapa Oysters

A hugely overlooked fishery. Easy as razor clams and delicious.

I'm partial to them fried.

More pics to come soon I hope. Be sure and check out webpage http://www.bigfishingyear.net/ or subscribe my Facebook page to keep up with my progress.

sickbayer
Commodore

Re: Cascadia Big Fishing Year Update - 40 Species

Post by sickbayer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:55 am

Great posting there. Sturgeon on a float tube, must've been a ride.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:42 am

You're an inspiration uplandsandpiper. I wish I had the time and funds to do what you are doing. Keep us posted with more pics. What an incredible goal you have for the year. What species has been the hardest to catch so far?

fishnislife

uplandsandpiper
Petty Officer

Post by uplandsandpiper » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:18 am

fishnislife wrote:You're an inspiration uplandsandpiper. I wish I had the time and funds to do what you are doing. Keep us posted with more pics. What an incredible goal you have for the year. What species has been the hardest to catch so far?
fishnislife
The hardest species so far was Lake Trout at Cle Elum. I' trying to catch as many species as possible from my kayak (I don't own a powerboat). My kayak does not have downriggers so I was forced to jig for them in 100-150' of water. I did 16 hours of jigging straight before I caught one. I was literally on the verge of giving up mentally and physically when I caught this fish. Made the long drive home a lot easier.