Perch in Pierce County Lakes

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Perch in Pierce County Lakes

Post by Kaptain King » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 am

Hello out there! I am going to take my kayak out to Lake Kapowsin on Saturday or Sunday morning and I was thinking about trageting perch. I have never fished for them before but have read up on a few items such as bait, depth, etc. Has anyone fished some of the local south Pierce County lakes, especially Kapowsin? I am going to try past the island in the little cove by the south end of the lake. I am going to hit up Sportco for some Berkley products and other stuff before I go. If anyone has any tips to offer, I would greatly appreciate it. There will be two of us out there so the more the merrier!

Thanks and tight lines!
"For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Re: Perch in Pierce County Lakes

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:34 am

Fish the deep water off from the public dock and boat access. Vertical jig with the soft plastic yellow grub red led head jigs small like i think its 1/8th lead head over those suspended logs and cut stumps. Good luck, that lakes tough fishing especially in cold weather. Lets see a fishing report on here after tho!

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 am

Spanaway lake is loaded with perch... we caught them in all over aroind that lake... best was around the 20' mark... we were catching them while bass fishi g... dropshotting small plastics... and drifti g along in 20 to 25' of water...

Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Post by Kaptain King » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks for the info. Maybe we'll lauch at Spanaway instead. I know there is a ton of crap on the bottom of Kapowsin and tweekers like to bust into your car there. Whatever lake it is, there will be a report with pictures...Hopefully of fish!!!
"For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:47 am

American lake may be worth a try. Did pretty well there in late Oct for perch, big perch. If you happen to go there we were in the south end of the lake before the channel to Little American in about 30' of water. We were just fishing worms off of the bottom but another guy jigging did really well too. They may have moved a bit deeper in the last month but who knows....good luck to you!

Diamonddave
Petty Officer

Post by Diamonddave » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:28 pm

I went to American2 days ago had no luck I think I was the only one fishing saw no boats either.

rickydbasser
Petty Officer

Post by rickydbasser » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:16 am

American Lake is my first pick. And there is a couple reasons. One, there is an excellent population of perch, with 10 to 14 inches being common. The other reason is American Lake is very clear and clean water, making for great tasting filets. Sometimes in heavily silted waters, the fish can take on a taste of the water they swim in. The only negative about American Lake is it is popular recreational boating and jet ski lake. But there are areas at the south end of the lake to get away from the boating madness. My favorite bait to use is small inch or so plastics grub in white or watermellonseed on a dropshot rig. I then dope up the grub with a garlic fish attractant. I prefer Smelly Jelly Gel.