Wedding Rings for trout

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Wedding Rings for trout

Post by A9 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:50 pm

It never hurts to go with a better swivel..you'll end up paying a few more dollars, but it's worth the headaches in the long run...
Also, if your line is twisting badly, you are probably going a bit too fast. Going too fast can cause the flatfish to wobble way too fast and go upside down and roll and stuff, so I think your best to get a good swivel and slow down your speed....
You should be able to find Flatfish for about $4 at any big fishing/sporting goods stores though....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

DH
Petty Officer

Post by DH » Thu May 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Does anyone ever get the wedding ring replacement hooks with the pink material on the hook shank? On the hotshot and flatfish, do you ever bait there hooks? Thanks for your answers. DH

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:59 pm

Yea I always try to bait the hooks when legal. I do a lot of my trout fishing at a particular lake cause its average rainbow is 16 inches and I've had 52 fish days (4 hour days) this year and some 24 inchers, but its so good cause its selective gears, so I gotta be single no barb hooks and baitless there.
But when I can, I always try and tip the flatfish/hotshot with a small chunk of worm...Smaller the better. 1/2 inch. Any more, and the trout will be able to just strip off the worm and leave without hitting your lure....

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Thu May 10, 2007 8:52 pm

So I'm going to ask the "stupid question of this thread": Is the flatfish a trolling rig? I'm assuming yes, but can you use it cast/retrieve style with any success?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu May 10, 2007 9:12 pm

tcb wrote:So I'm going to ask the "stupid question of this thread": Is the flatfish a trolling rig? I'm assuming yes, but can you use it cast/retrieve style with any success?

That is actually a good question the flatfish that we are refering to are ment for trolling you could cast them but it wouldnt work as well. But they have big flatfish that are used for bass and salmon and you can cast the hell out of those

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:25 pm

You could cast and retrieve it , but it's not my first choice for that...I'd rather throw on a Kastmaster or Little Cleo or any other weighteed spoon...

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Fri May 11, 2007 12:29 am

Hey Sam Kafelafish how, when and why do you use those rubber snubbers I see in your tackle box?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 11, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:10 am

I sometimes use them right behind my pop gear when fishing for really soft biting trout and kokanee...Absorbs the shock and doesn't jerk the hook out....
They have a snap on one end so I snap that to the end of the pop gear, and tie the leader to the eye loop on the other end...
That help bigastrout?

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:42 am

I have never used a flatfish before. Does it matter if its florescent or not? I have used wedding rings for a number of years now and they have never failed. They even have that new one that flashes. Anybody used that?
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:10 pm

It doesn't need to be flourescent...Actually none of them are flourescents, thats just what they call that bright bright red color....Try em out next time you can...

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I went to Joe's and bought a couple flatfish. I especially got that "flourescent one" I was gonna try them out tonight but its kinda windy and there is a BBQ at the families house so I gotta do that.

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Fri May 11, 2007 8:26 pm

fishunt83 wrote:I went to Joe's and bought a couple flatfish. I especially got that "flourescent one"
I picked up a couple at Joe's today too.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat May 12, 2007 1:59 am

Let mee know if you have the same results as I do...

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Gonna go out and try Cottage Lake in Woodinville tonight with my flatfish. I know there is some action out there.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Good luck...let us know how you do...

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Sun May 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:I sometimes use them right behind my pop gear when fishing for really soft biting trout and kokanee...Absorbs the shock and doesn't jerk the hook out....
They have a snap on one end so I snap that to the end of the pop gear, and tie the leader to the eye loop on the other end...
That help bigastrout?
Yea thanks
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Well I fished Cottage Lake last night with my flatfish and didnt get anything. Not even a nibble. So I swapped over to the wedding ring flasher...landed three fish in 10 minutes. INCREDIBLE LURE!!!!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 15, 2007 3:34 pm

How long did you fish for and how deep? It's tough to get the depths with flatfish, so you kinda gotta get used to them...

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:52 am

Well my luck changed with the flat fish. I used the blue/silver one with a worm. I put a little bit of weight to sink it down a little deep then trolled at a slow speed. Landed 3 12" trout in about 20 minutes.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:08 pm

If it was about the end or mid April, then you'd be fine with no weight...Now, the fish have moved deeper, and yea you'll need to use more weight to get down to them...