Sea lions/seals in Lake Wa.? Is this normal?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
coretron22
Warrant Officer

Sea lions/seals in Lake Wa.? Is this normal?

Post by coretron22 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 am

Okay I'm really seeing some weird stuff when fishing in wawa lately. Not catching many fish, but seeing interesting stuff. So I'm on my way to watch the Hawks w/ some friends so I thought I'd throw some stuff @ fish. Went to the arboretum where I see guys throwing plastics by the cut. I'm getting nada, when I see a large creature surface and chomp a fish...then another...& another...& another until there were 6 of them in a group munching on fish right in front of me. They looked like harbor seals or small sea lions...or reaally big otters, but heads looked like seals from my perspective.

Absolutely killed fishing in that area. I personally saw them eat over 100 fish! Then the headed into the lillies in the Arb...is this normal? Should I alert WDFW?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Sea lions/seals in Lake Wa.? Is this normal?

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 am

Ive seen Sea lions as far in the lake by Leschi area. Its not normal but they do come in from the locks. Ive seen Otters also. They chase silvers and kings into the lake. Dont tell the WDFW, Tell the Renton Gun Club "there are live moving targets in the Lake" :-" :scratch:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 am

Sea Lions in Lk Wa is pretty normal and has been since Hershel days. I've seen them up the Snohomish system as far as the Wallace flats. The rotten buggers are everywhere. I can think of nothing better than 30 cal solution for every one of the prolific rotters!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 am

I think they should have a drawing for sea lion tags. I know plenty of guys that would go bananas for the opportunity to bring home a sealskin rug!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:08 am

And if they do sink after you shoot them, then you can keep shooting more until you find one that'll float. [laugh]

Oh, and no fair using a bow and arrow with a bouy on it. But a bow and arrow without a line is fair game. :cheers:
Tom.

Interests: living

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 am

they go where the Salmon go pretty much.. i can't count how many slow fishing days i wanted to attribute to the damn seals!
i'm all for gun violence on seals in the river.. [thumbup] heat packer

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 am

Bodofish wrote:Sea Lions in Lk Wa is pretty normal and has been since Hershel days. I've seen them up the Snohomish system as far as the Wallace flats. The rotten buggers are everywhere. I can think of nothing better than 30 cal solution for every one of the prolific rotters!

haha, we call every single one of those buggers hershel
It wouldnt be called fishing unless you are always catching, best of luck!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Id buy multiple tags for shooting Sealions. Thed make some great boots . Sealskin waders sound nice.If you wore them in a pontoon look at the flippers you would have. People just dont get it with them buggers. Ive had them steal my fish a few times. Especially trolling past Shilshole and the Shipwreck.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:28 pm

racfish wrote:Id buy multiple tags for shooting Sealions. Thed make some great boots . Sealskin waders sound nice.If you wore them in a pontoon look at the flippers you would have. People just dont get it with them buggers. Ive had them steal my fish a few times. Especially trolling past Shilshole and the Shipwreck.
They obviously have never been attacked by a Sea Lion before. Yes they are more than capable of jumping right into the back of your boat uninvited. They have lots of teeth!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm

The lake is also home to a large number of otters. The adults are fairly good sized and I'd swear that some of them are pushing 40lbs. They travel in packs and are adept and catching fish. If what you saw wasn't snacking on adult salmon, I'd bet they were otters.

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:40 am

I didn't see them actually pulling any salmon out, & I'm thinking really big otters is more likely, but the next day I went through the Arb and the pads were ripped up and tossed around, and I saw several dead fish floating in the pads, including an enormous salmon. I saw them eating what looked like bass and perch to me, but it was dusk, so I was seeing dark silhouettes mostly. If otters, some of em were definitely 40lbs. easy.