Camping @ Lake Chelan, State Park

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Camping @ Lake Chelan, State Park

Post by mwdehaan » Thu May 31, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey guys, was hoping for a little help. I don't know if I've ever fished Lake Chelan before (might have as a little kid) and the family has plans to camp at the state park.

We plan on bringing our boat and I was hoping some of our seasoned anglers might be able to tell me if there are any fun areas around there to fish. I'd mostly go after kokanee or rainbows would be my guess but I love me some bass fishing too. So don't discriminate on species, I'd happily fish for anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think an 8 pound downrigger ball would be heavy enough to use if we were trolling for lake trout. I think it starts to arc pretty significantly once it gets down about 70-80 feet so I think the accuracy is shot around that depth. But I believe the downrigger has 250 or 300 feet of cable and can handle a 20 pound ball.

I've heard Lake Chelan can be a hell of a lake on a bad day so I might be a bit shy to go off too far from the camp area. We run a 16' deep V and it handles the white caps that Omak Lake puts out but that was just a fierce windy day and I have no idea how that weather would translate at Lake Chelan. So any safety tips to navigate Lake Chelan would be very welcomed.

Thanks guys

razorback
Angler

Re: Camping @ Lake Chelan, State Park

Post by razorback » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Troll either direction coming out of the park for trout and bass. My wife does'nt like a heavy downrigger ball and uses an 8 pound for the lakers.

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Re: Camping @ Lake Chelan, State Park

Post by mwdehaan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Okay, thanks!